back to article Google research bods hope to lick battery life limits – report

Google has reportedly been attempting to develop batteries that last longer. The world's largest ad broker apparently has a small team of four people beavering away at lithium-ion technology and solid-state batteries in its Google X research lab. According to the Wall Street Journal, erstwhile Apple battery bod Dr Ramesh …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. PleebSmash
      Welcome

welcome

Google X likes to make things 10 times better. How are they going to make a lithium-ion battery 10x better?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another vapour-ware

battery story...

Its gonna be at least 3 years (IMHO) until ANY of the improved battery tech that's been touted for the last 5 years will be ready for the market.

I have some NiMh AA cells that are almost 3000mAh. That's a phenomenal power density for something as big as a little finger. Especially as its re-usable.

That needs doubling, anything less is a waste of research £$€......

Not gonna hold my breath for this. Umpteen battery improvement stories later and not a bit of useful kit has entered the consumer market...

1. Steve Todd

Re: Another vapour-ware

You need to work in Wh not mAh, otherwise comparison is meaningless. Your NiMh cell is 1.2V nominal, so stores 3.6Wh max. A lithium 18650 cell can easily store 3000mAh, but at a nominal 3.7V, so 11.1Wh, or a little over 3 times the storage capacity.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Granted, at almost twice the size however!!!!

2. ilmari

Actually, your almost 3000mAh AA is made by some "computer wizard" with label editing "skills", changing 2000 to 3000 because "everyone else is doing it".

In the Li-on space, typical capacities for the classic 18650 size cell have gone from less than 1800mAh to today's 3100-3400 mAh for the premium cells from premium manufacturers, a doubling in capacity.

One thing that annoys me is how media frequently reports on "breakthroughs" in making a battery that charges in 5 minutes. Such Li-Ion batteries already exist, the capacity penalty you take for quick charge isn't even that big (Compared to supercapacitor capacities). Dumping that much power in 5 minutes requires some nice fat cables and chunky charge electronics, though. Your average usb cable would turn into a glowing white noodle in seconds.

If media reported on car tyres like they report on battery tech, every week there'd be a sensational post reporting on a new innovation, a new tyre that is rounder and not square. Every month there'd be reports of amazingly low friction tyres promising to save 75% energy, the boffins are calling it "railway". A couple of times a year there'd be reports on "out of the box" thinking derived "innovations", pht wings on the car, "inventing" the "aeroplane", and tyres are only used a short portion of the travel. Stick legs on the vehicle so it walks, no tyres needed at all, and no road infrastructure either, all problems solved forever!

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

This article wishes it had some vapor to report. It aspires to vaporware sensationalism.

"Hey! I hear there are four dudes working on batteries at Google! And one of them even has a name!"

3. Mark 85

Just 4 people working on this?

So is that 4 researchers? A manager, two techs, and an admni? On the list of Google priorities, this just doesn't seem like a big deal to them given the numbers of people.

1. Mark 85
        Unhappy

Re: Just 4 people working on this?

Good catch.. teach me to post before having coffee.

2. Cuddles

Re: Just 4 people working on this?

Indeed. People love to complain about there being too many stories about battery research that never amounts to anything, but what that actually means is that there are thousands, of people in numerous universities and businesses working on improving batter technology. Sure, most of the articles that hit the media are nonsense based on very preliminary research or untested new ideas, but it at least shows that there are lots of people working on lots of different approaches to things. Google having a couple of people also thinking about it in their spare time just isn't relevant at all. Before this article, we knew there were thousands of people working on batteries. Now we know there are thousands of people working on batteries, and a couple of them happen to be funded by Google. So fucking what.

4. Jamie Jones Silver badge
    Flame

Arrrrghh

Get rid of that awful article pic

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: Arrrrghh

I don't want to see a closeup of someone's gob when I'm eating - only when I'm snogging them.

Anyway, how exactly does it contribute to the story? I though irrelevant pictures were being dropped. And don't use the tenuous 'lick battery life' title as a relevance. It was obviously only phrased that way to fit the picture!

1. NotArghGeeCee

Re: Arrrrghh

"I don't want to see a closeup of someone's gob when I'm eating - only when I'm snogging them."

If you get a view like that when you are snogging someone you are doing it wrong.

5. jnffarrell1

Google Systems Combine Seven Factors of Two

To get two orders of magnitude improvement six or seven multiplicatively applied factors combine. To get any one factor maybe four or five process improvements must be applied in the right order by domain experts.

Countless dead ends and wasted engineering hours are prevented by tasking the best minds to focus on what they know best.

6. Nelbert Noggins

It doesn't sound like Google are that interested in making huge strides and considering how much they outsource the consumer tech rather than build it themselves...

With their pockets and resources if they were seriously interested I expect they'd throw a higher level of resources at it. A team of 4 is just a token 'me to' surely?

7. Alan Brown Silver badge

A team of 4 is google researching which battery maker and /or R&D house to invest in.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like