back to article Microsoft, Fujitsu team in Internet of Lettuce effort

A nearly two-year-old Fujitsu project to apply sensors and cloud computing to growing low-potassium vegetables has attracted the attention of Microsoft. The two companies have used what's probably the least-leafy venue imaginable, Hannover Messe, to announce a tie-up in which Windows 8.1 Pro running on Fujitsu devices, Fujitsu …

1. Mark 85

I guess that growing lettuce in a high-tech environment requires high-tech to watch it grow. Seriously interesting to see what they come up with and how this can be applied for use by the farmer in the field.

On the other hand, queue jokes about lettuce demanding a Twitter or FB account.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Lettuce see what they post. Surely it'll be something more intelligent than the dribble we're used to on Twitter and Facebook.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

You may be surprised to find a huge quantity of lettuces are not grown in fields.

Here is a typical lettuce "field"

http://www.suntec.co.nz/SaladbookCentre%20cover%20shot.jpg

2. A Ghost
    Black Helicopters

I blame Brussels

The sprouts I mean.

No I wasn't being 'wacist', the vegetables damn it!

This is just the tip of the Ice-Berg.

Seriously.

What is it's 'proper' name? Lactuca sativa. Mmm, reminds me of another plant...

It is most often grown as a leaf vegetable, but sometimes for its stem and seeds. Lettuce was first cultivated by the ancient Egyptians who turned it from a weed, whose seeds were used to produce oil, into a food plant grown for its succulent leaves, in addition to its oil-rich seeds.

Aha. Getting ready for the coming deregulation.

Lettuce has mild narcotic properties – it was called "sleepwort" by the Anglo-Saxons because of this attribute – although the cultivated L. sativa has lower levels of the narcotic than its wild cousins.[52] This narcotic effect is a property of two sesquiterpene lactones which are found in the white liquid (latex) in the stems of lettuce,[29] called lactucarium or "lettuce opium".

I was wondering why the old dear next door to me on the West Green rd in Tottenham was growing lettuces. I knew what the opium poppies were for, but I really had no idea about those, till now. Blatant she was. Front garden. Drug busts going on left, right and centre, bullets flying around, and there she was like Robert Duvall in Apocalypse Now - you just knew she'd never get hit - floating around her front garden, tending her 'lettuces', hovering, oblivious to it all.

It all makes sense now. Life is best lived moving forward, but understood, looking back...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like