back to article Photobucket tipped over by Turkish hacker

Photobucket, the popular photo sharing website, became the target of a DNS hack on Tuesday. As a result of the attack some (but not all) surfers hoping to check out pictures were involuntarily redirected to a greeting from hacker NetDeliz and a message in Turkish. A post to Photobucket's user forum blamed the problem on "an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ron

No personal information?

If they stole the domain name, that means the users' browsers would be submitting their cookies to the attacker's server. That means that anything stored in the user's cookie (for example, session IDs) could be compromised, just not their stored data.

2. cmantito
    Black Helicopters

@Ron

Exactly what I was thinking. Some sites go so far as to simply hash the username and password (I like to think a big site like Photobucket's smarter than this) into a cookie and just compare the hash every so often..

The fun part of that is that there's not really a way to tell for sure if cookiedata was taken until you get a copy of the source for the replacement page or what have you..

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Ron

"No personal information? "

You beat me to the punch there,

And i thought i was a n00b,

who employs these people?

4. Patrick O'Reilly
    IT Angle

@All

You do realise El Reg includes such comments about "No personal information being stolen etc" are only included for our amusement.

5. Kevin Gurney
    Happy

How long.........

Before our Turkish friend is extridited to the USA to face criminal charges ?

6. Richard Carroll

Photobucket problem

I have been getting atspace.com when I request photobucket.com since Wed. June 18 about 4 a.m. PDT. It's now Thurs, 7 a.m. Before that, the same thing occurred from Tues. 2 p.m. to Wed. 2 a.m. Whatever they're doing is taking far longer than a few hours. My ISP is Comcast; I'm in Oakland, California.

7. Sam
    Happy

What's the betting..

..that the phrase "Pushti pezevenk" was in the message somewhere?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like