back to article Intel, Cray bag $200m to build 180PFLOPS super for US nuke boffins

Intel and Cray have landed a $200m deal to build a 180-petaFLOPS supercomputer dubbed Aurora for the US Department of Energy. Intel will provide the chips – expected to include next-gen 10nm Knights Hill processor cores – and Cray will integrate it all together. If you look at the numbers, that's a rather small amount of money …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Swarthy
      Thumb Up

Well, if it helps, the phone in your pocket is likely to be significantly more powerful than a Cray-2; what it lacks in seating it makes up for with portability.

..I was a weird one, I would not have turned down a Cray, but what I really wanted was an SGI cluster.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

actually I do have one. It occupies a little less space than the Vax 780 in the (dry) barn

2. O RLY

Got to use one in uni. Not sure I fully appreciated it at the time. Getting three-phase at the house would be a rounding error in the total cost of buying one though :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

yeah but will it be enough to calculate the US tax code.

4. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Coincidence

>When it goes live, Aurora will outstrip the compute power of the 55-petaFLOPS, 3.1-million-core Xeon-powered Tianhe-2 in China.

On the same day that the US announces that nobody can sell computer parts to the Tianhe-2 because of "national security".

1. diodesign Silver badge

Re: Coincidence

Yeah, we're on it...

C.

5. StripeyMiata

Wasn't this the kind of thing itanium was meant to do?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No.

This is the kind of thing Xeon Phi is supposed to do.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Wasn't this the kind of thing itanium was meant to do?

I think the plan with the itanium was that the supercomputer would actually put out more heat than the weapon you were simulating. So you could do more damage by dropping the computer on them than the bomb.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice to see the nuclear arms race alive and well, no need to look to see if there's other life out there, as by the time they get here we'll be cinders.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like