back to article Watch: FIRE-SPITTING time-lapse images of Sol showcase NASA's sun-gazing highs

NASA has released an impressive time-lapse vid of our sun, to mark five years since the US space agency's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) project began. The video shows off the highlights of NASA boffins gazing at old Sol. NASA said in a back-slapping post to celebrate SDO's fifth anniversary: Capturing an image more than …

1. Doogs
    Happy

Beautiful...

Just beautiful.

1. Mark 85

Re: Beautiful...

I d/l'ed it and played it at full screen... even more beautiful... mesmerizing.

1. BillG
        Angel

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Makes me feel privileged to be alive in an era when this new knowledge/observation is happening.

3. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

and, for once, an appropriately majestic soundtrack

2. Little Mouse

*Thunk!*

(The sound of my jaw hitting the floor)

3. Phil Endecott

What always get me is how we're programmed to recognise "ballistic", i.e. Newtonian, trajectories. But these solar surface dynamics are driven by magnetic fields, so they look different - i.e. "wrong" - to our eyees. Sometimes they look as if they're playing backwards, for example. All very weird, but very beautiful.

Is that Mercury we see transitting a couple of times?

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

The outer limit.

Cherry is the colour of demagnetise

In the morning when we rise

Glue is the cover of the sparkling sky

According to Newton

(Forget Einstein)

In the morning

In the morning when we rise

Flares are the feeling I've been solar pup

That it's time

That it's time

That it's time to try again.

Solar surface dynamics are driven by magnetic fields,

They are what?

At those temperatures?

At those temperatures?

Are they f++k!

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

THAT !

It's the screensaver I want.

1. Doogs

Re: THAT !

The hero pic used at the top of the article has been my desktop background since it was released in 2012.

I like your thinking. :)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Holst

Seriously, put on your headphones or (decent) speakers, play Mars from the Holst Planet Suite, then click on play on this with the youtube volume down.

It is an incredible experience.

(It would be without any music, but even so...)

1. EddieD

Re: Holst

Good call, but I prefer the first bits of "Shine on" from Wish you were here....

Right, hands up those who think more should must be spent on NASA/ESA et al, and less on NSA/GCHQ...

6. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Wonderful stuff

The sun almost always provides a lot of fireworks. It must have been difficult to select the best bits

You can actually sample the solar dynamics from down here: this shot was taken from the pavement across the road from my house (74 pane mosaic). However, whenever UK (or Dutch in my case) weather conspires against that (i.e. a lot of the time) it is lovely to visit NASAs sites which provide many such image (some like GONG H-alpha nearly at real time).

The transits seem to be Venus, judging by the size of the disk

7. zen1

Perspective

humbling!

8. PhillW
    Happy

Wow

Time to dig out that tab of acid I kept from the 80's and put this on continuous loop

9. Sir Runcible Spoon
    Mushroom

Sir

Terrifyingly beautiful.

And to think that is where we were all born :,)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trailer

Now that is the kind of trailer I'd like to see at the cinema before the main film.

11. Yemil

What is really spitting from the sun is NOT fire but nuclear reaction which is not the same thing at all, the sun is converting Hydrogen in Helium.

Sorry to spoil the headline, there is no fire on the sun like the fire,that occurs on earth as a molecular reaction !

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Plasma/Fire, whatever, it'll still fry your eyeballs :)

2. cray74

"What is really spitting from the sun is NOT fire but nuclear reaction which is not the same thing at all, the sun is converting Hydrogen in Helium"

It's not fire, but would it constitute a "flame"?

Fire is the result of chemical combustion, while flames are the glowing product of a highly exothermic reaction. According to the wiki definition, very hot flames "are hot enough to have ionized gaseous components of sufficient density to be considered plasma."

1. GrumpyOldMan

Don't care. Call it what you like it's still stunning. Having different wavelengths makes it something special and I too want it as my screensaver..

12. O-Zone

Ra

Thanks to this, overnight I decided to become a sun worshipper. Well, okay, maybe not overnight. You can't see the sun at night. But first thing the next morning I converted.

13. David 14
    Mushroom

Just freaking awesome

These NASA guys should get an Oscar for cinematography... and editing.

I now want a new career... though a 43-year old computer scientist with a measly Bachelor's Degree and 20+ years experience in business computing... may not really be what NASA is looking for.

David.

14. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Quibbling over fire vs plasma

Fire *is* plasma.

So, perhaps thermonuclear fueld fire?

My thoughts at around 1/3 through was, could you picture the corona of a Wolf-Rayet star? Sol is amazingly gentle compared to those monsters.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like