back to article Non-American nerds jam immigration pleading for right to live in the US

Just one week after announcing it is once again accepting H-1B visa applications, the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has slammed the floodgates shut. H-1B visas are like Willy Wonka's golden tickets: they are granted to skilled foreigners – such as software engineers and other techies – allowing them to live …

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Looks tricky ...

... if you really want to go, best to marry an American :-)

1. phil dude
      Joke

Re: Looks tricky ...

It all *sounds* good until it is made into a movie with G. Depardieu....

P.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or get a job with a US Corp and get an internal transfer?

3. Aitor 1

I did, I work in IT and would prefer no to move to the US.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Given the USA is an ultra-paranoid surveillance state I'm surprised there isn't a line of people queuing to get out.

1. Dan Paul

@AC

Given that the reason why people are paranoid here is because of a massively multiplying multitude of morons like you, I wouldn't be surprised. YOU must be the one who is paranoid as no place in the world has as many surveillance cameras as London, (or Britain) so that must mean you are queing for our H1B.

However, the majority of us Americans are able to look past your kinds BS and thus are still here.

1. Mike Smith

Re: @AC

"Given that the reason why people are paranoid here is because of a massively multiplying multitude of morons like you"

But which came first, Dan? The chicken or the egg?

Think about it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

But which came first, Dan? The chicken or the egg?

Honestly, you're asking that here? The rooster, obviously.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Funny, but seriously the quality of most of the H1Bs... even the masters level applicants ... leave a lot to be desired.

As bad as some of the things in the US are... the majority of the world is in worse shape.

2. David Dawson

Methinks Dan doth protest too much.

1. Dan Paul

Please, is that all you could come up with?

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Given that the reason why people are paranoid here is because of a massively multiplying multitude of morons like you, I wouldn't be surprised. YOU must be the one who is paranoid as no place in the world has as many surveillance cameras as London, (or Britain) so that must mean you are queing for our H1B.

Not on your life, and for a simple reason: I happen to know that there are more countries outside the US than just the UK, some with names that even reach into the 3 syllables. Oh, and before I forget, those cameras in London only spy locally, not on the rest of the planet. Admittedly that difference may appear subtle to you, but it exists nevertheless.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I'm surprised there isn't a line of people queuing to get out."

Ahh, there is a very small but growing line (about 3,000 people a year).

You can permanently (and irrevocably) renounce US citizenship if you wish. But there's no way back, so it is a big step for people with US family and friends, and if you renounce your citizenship then there's a "renunciation fee" of $3k (small beer) and "exit tax" (basically a capital gains tax structured against the moderately wealthy to be as big as they can possibly make it).

As a broad rule, most people renouncing US citizenship appear to be both tired of the politics and of the onerous international tax regime the IRS imposes, but I'm sure these people understand that the US stasi will be unlikely to alter the level of monitoring their finances and communications after expatriation (be that lots of monitoring or no monitoring). And where do you go to avoid being spied on? All the other anglophone countries are very much in the same boat. Most of Europe the same. Russia, China, the Arab world, etc, all worse...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Reason many people are giving up US citizenship is due to the way banks are "derisking" and avoiding situations that could lead to large fines. One such way of getting a large fine is to have accounts for US citizens and fail to jump through all the financial reporting hoops that the US asks banks to go through now so many are taking the simple option of saying they won't take Americans as customers. My son (aged 15) was born while we were in California for 3 years and so is a US citizen even though he only spent the first 4 months of his life there. We just opened a new back about for him a couple of weeks back and the application form required us to state he was a US citizen and give his SS number - bank person said it wasn't an issue at the moment as he is under 18 but I suspect in a couple of years time we may be investigating how he can lose the US citizenship that he acquired almost by chance.

1. Eddy Ito

@AC, the first mistake was giving the poor child a Social Security Number. It isn't mandatory but few people realize that it is an opt-in situation. The IRS want's everyone to get a SSN when they are born to get their hooks in as soon as possible but it's probably the worst possible decision a parent can make for their child. Sure, it gives the parents a tax write-off but the kid won't have a need for one for many years if ever, as in your son's case. Why is it a bad idea? Because in the US everyone uses the damn SSN for everything. Essentially, it defines you - well, not you precisely but a legitimate person in the eyes of the financial world and they are more than stupid enough to hand over huge sums of money to nearly anyone who has a valid number. What better number to use than one that isn't going to be missed for a decade or more?

Fortunately, given the nine digit base and current US population, it can't go on forever unless they create a wonderful new system like they did for zip codes. SSN+4 anyone?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

lie

That simple.

He must open a new bank account, and simply say he is british (as he probably is).

This is exactly what my wife does.. as she has double nationality.

Beware of selling a house abroad if you are american... the taxman will come even if you were unable to deduct anything, or never got a damn thing out of the us.

1. Ian Michael Gumby

Re: lie

If your wife is an American citizen, then she is required by law to report her income and joint income if she's named on the account, regardless if she has dual citizenship.

This had been covered in the press months ago and its not the ultra rich who are getting caught up in the net.

Your wife has to renounce her citizenship or risk facing terrible repercussions with the IRS.

And trust me. The IRS are all weasels.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Don't know where you applied for an account

As far as I know, there are no US banks or branches that are denying accounts to Americans, that would seem to be foreign banks concerned that the only reason an American might apply for an account with them is for tax dodging reasons (after the IRS went ballistic on Swiss banks).

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't know where you applied for an account

that would seem to be foreign banks concerned that the only reason an American might apply for an account with them is for tax dodging reasons (after the IRS went ballistic on Swiss banks).

I applaud you for keeping Americans at home, but you may want to consider that some of them do indeed seek to escape the Motherland and go abroad. At which point they discover that they are holders of a very much unwanted passport because the IRS does not allow people to escape their slavery that easily. The banks don't really see why they would have to do so much more effort for having an American on the book and thus find it easier to avoid the overhead (and risk) by refusing service to Americans. For extra fun, look up "accidental American' and see just how draconian and not very enlightened those people get treated. In all my innocence, I thought they had abandoned slavery - it makes the Middle East look benign.

4. martinusher Silver badge

That's breaking Rule One

You've broken Rule One when dealing with bureaucracies. This, simply put, is "don't tell lies but don't necessarily tell the whole truth" -- don't volunteer any information that's not specifically asked for. If you're a British family and you want to get a bank account for your British child in the UK then there is no reason to mention the US dimension unless someone raises it as an issue.

I'd avoid dumping US citizenship unless you have no other choice. Getting a US visa for work can be a real pain (see article) so being able to just walk in is very handy. (Obviously, once he settles here he's pOwned by the IRS but you pays yer money, you takes yer choice....)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Headmaster

Just to clarify...

You don't have to renounce your U.S. citizenship to leave the country. You do have to renounce it if you want to avoid having to answer to both the IRS and the tax authorities in whatever foreign country you might be moving to.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Just to clarify...

You don't have to renounce your U.S. citizenship to leave the country. You do have to renounce it if you want to avoid having to answer to both the IRS and the tax authorities in whatever foreign country you might be moving to.

.. and actually be able to have a bank account. In some countries, banks have simply decided to boot out all regular customers with a US passport because the compliance overhead, paperwork and risk exposure pretty much made them a burden and a cost, and it was thus easier to declare all Americans persona non grata.

And no, that doesn't make me feel happy - these people have done nothing wrong.

3. Ian Michael Gumby

@AC ex-pats...

Most of those renouncing citizenships are ex-pats who have lived most of their lives outside of the US.

If you are caught renouncing your citizenship in an effort to skate on taxes... the US will not recognize it and you'll still be on the hook.

And of course countries like France have numbers that are worse.

3. Keith Glass

There is. Renunciations of US Citizenship are way up. . .

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Given the USA is an ultra-paranoid surveillance state I'm surprised there isn't a line of people queuing to get out."

There was. Those were the first people sent to the death camps.

Anon. becaus... OH SHIT! Gotta run!

6. Aitor 1

Paranoid

I live in the UK, an it is ever worse here. So...

3. cmannett85

"to lead the world in this new economy, we need the most talented and hardest-working people."

Which translates as: "American developers are expensive, and so are training programs/scholarships/apprenticeships"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"American developers are expensive, and so are training programs/scholarships/apprenticeships"

So instead they want cheap workers, even if they are terrible...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Go

@cmannett85

Congratulations! You just won this topic!!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

which translates as: "We don't wan't to pay American developers what they're worth - it's cheaper to spend some money lobbying government to get indentured servants."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Our European satellite office of a US company keeps getting new hires that would have been hired in the US had they obtained a H1B visa. The idea is in principle that they start working here until they obtain a visa, though we often manage to convince them that life is better on this side of the pond. And so, our little office is growing…

5. earl grey
    Flame

Microsoft is dumping 18k workers

So they must not need any more. Government should just cancel all their H1B requests and throw those openings into the crowd. It's not that there are no American workers qualified (or wanting) to do the work. As others have stated, it's more that the US companies don't want to pay for it.

1. Buzzword

Re: Microsoft is dumping 18k workers

People aren't fungible. The ex-Microsoftees are jaded middle-aged workers, accustomed to working 9 to 5 on a decent salary with decent healthcare provision. Companies would much rather hire naive young workers, willing to work 24/7 for peanuts and minimal healthcare coverage. If you were a CEO, which would you choose?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

People aren't fungible.

Exactly, and H1B is not the Wonka golden ticket. L1 is. That is what is given to "irreplaceable resource" and it also does not contain restrictions on spouses and family members. Try getting that one from let's say Amazon.

They will loose interest instantaneously there and then.

2. midcapwarrior

More than 80% of those let go where from the Nokia purchase.

Almost none of which were US based (Finland, India).

But don't let that get in the way of your straw man.

6. tony2heads

Willy Wonka

Not so much a golden ticket, more a chance to become an Oompa Loompa

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rather interesting

In interviews of Mexican illegals currently living in the U.S. who claim they do not need an H-1B visa or U.S. citizenship, these people claim that the U.S. Constitution guarantees Non-U.S. citizens "the right" to come to the U.S. and enjoy free social services, not pay income tax, go to college for free, have free healthcare and medical services, etc. This is what they are told by the criminals who charge them thousands of dollars to get smuggled into the U.S.

As far as H-1B visas for skilled labor are concerned, tech outfits like Microsucks and others have been lobbying for a higher annual quantity so that they can hire people and pay them sub-standard wages and benefits so that Bill Gates and other unscrupulous CEOs can enjoy even larger multi-million dollar compensation and bonuses. There is no shortage of capable, competent people in the U.S. for tech or any other job. The shameless greedy corporate leaders are looking to exploit foreigners just as Tim Cook/Apple and others use Chinese slaves for product production. It's a great opportunity for criminals.

1. Aitor 1

Re: Rather interesting

There is a shortage.

And it is being created by many years of relatively low salaries and high costs.

1. BornToWin

They fooled you. LOL

2. Slacker@work

"..so that Bill Gates and other unscrupulous CEOs..."

Nice to see you're staying current!

3. Daniel B.

Lay off the Fox News koolaid, AC. H1B employers can't give lower wages to H1B holders, immigration law mandates a higher wage to avoid "taking them over a US citizen". They also have to prove there's a shortage of available US citizens to do the job. There is a real shortage, probably because CompSci degrees are still low in the US.

Oh, and Mexican illegals aren't looking for entitledness, they're looking for better wages.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You best look up the definition of "denial" because you are in it.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

> H1B employers can't give lower wages to H1B holders

They can however create a new job description which happens to only be filled with H1B holders, Unscrupulous on-shore off-shorers can also do things like withhold rellocation or accommodation fees for H1B to officially pay more than US but effectively pay them half as much.

H1B is the worst possible solution to skilled immigration. It is only available to mega corps with armies of lawyers (try getting an H1B place for your first startup employee) keeps the employee in slavery to a single employer and is hard to move to citizenship.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I believe this video sums things up admirably:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU

(Immigration attorneys explaining how to demonstrate inability to find local hires.)

I had the pleasure of helping a new hire from India recently. I had to explain how to log into a computer. Thank heavens she isn't working in my department ...

3. ecofeco Silver badge

<"H1B employers can't give lower wages to H1B holders, immigration law mandates a higher wage to avoid "taking them over a US citizen".

The law means nothing to them. They can and do pay lower wages and they do not, as also required by law, make much effort to hire citizens first.

There are even paid consultants to show them how to do all this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/04/01/1198459/-H-1B-Guest-Worker-Fraud-and-the-Lacking-Skills-Scam

4. martinusher Silver badge

You're mixing up two completely different issues. Undocumented immigrants come here for work; like many chancers they're great at working the system. Whether they're Mexicans or Somalis or Roma there's very little difference in attitudes and methods. (Although, curiously enough, try working or trying to enroll in school in MX without appropriate paperwork and see just how far you don't get.)

H1Bs are something completely different. There is something wrong with the system, it seems geared up almost exclusively for Indian IT workers these days. Its not fair both to local workers who find that they can't get jobs (even when they're advertised) and for businesses who genuinely need talent that can't be obtained locally. (The Indians, as was recently discovered, are also adept at tweaking their paperwork and qualifications so that they may appear like super-beings on paper but are actually barely entry-level on the ground.)

Incidentally, I emigrated to the US, arriving here on a H1 visa but it was back in the old days before the system was gamed so comprehensively. I wasn't displacing a local worker -- at the time all the locals were making big bucks in defense. I changed status -- got a Green Card -- and eventually became a citizen. Back when I applied the H1 quotas from England were never filled, getting a visa was a matter of your sponsor working the paperwork, it took a month or so. This is how it should be, not the present mess.

1. Daniel B.
        Boffin

Re: Rather interesting @martinusher

Yes, I'm very annoyed that H1B is basically "the Indian visa" these days. I've been offered a couple of jobs in the US, but it seems that these are offered via the TN-2 visa mostly because H1Bs run out real quick. TN sucks in the sense that you're locked to the same employer, if you quit or are fired you have to leave the country ASAP. No grace period, no looking for another job. H1-Bs are better for some of these cases.

But then there's even more reasons for immigration reform. Fix it so that both immigrants (and non-immigrants, as H1-B is a nonimmigrant visa) and US citizens aren't shafted by US corporations.

8. Rocco 2

Anyone in the Netherlands wanna swap citizenships?

Anyone in the Netherlands want to trade citizenships with me here in the US?

I am sick and tired of living in this police state, where nothing but money is the rule.

I am tired of seeing this country get into unnecessary endless wars.

I am tired of the breaks given to the ultra rich, while those with the least get next to nothing.

I am tired of seeing the police shoot innocent unarmed people, and going scot free.

I am tired of the erosion of the freedoms provided in the Bill of Rights, as well as the misinterpretation of several of these.

I am tired of people who drive big trucks and waste resources for no good reason.

I am tired of the Disneyfication of Times Square in NYC.

I am tired of christians thinking that they are being persecuted.

I am tired of it all.

I was in the Netherlands last autumn, and want to live there. Not Amsterdam, the tourist trap, but somewhere else like Ede, Almere, Den Burg, or even Arnhem.

Just get me out of this hell hole where being a socialist-atheist is seeming to be a crime.

I would recommend that anyone who wants to come to the US, should look up the stuff that is happening here that is NOT being reported by the mainstream media. They will never tell you all that is wrong with the US.

But, if there happens to be someone in the Netherlands, who would like to swap citizenship with me, I would appreciate it.

1. rvt

Re: Anyone in the Netherlands wanna swap citizenships?

Just like the US, here in holland you can come and work for a local company and if you are good (masters degree/doing something special), they are more then willing to support you.

A other route is the belgium/german route (search google for it) but I believe you gotta have a girlfriend/boyfriend that iw willing to support you.

2. ckm5

You know nothing about the Netherlands -

1. It has the highest ratio of state surveillance of any western country, much higher than the US.

2. It has some of the most extreme conservative religious groups around (think Amish)

3. It is illegal in the Netherlands to

a. Have a gathering of more than 3 people (and they do enforce this)

b. Insult the king

4. Quite a lot of public offices (mayors, et. al.) are appointed by the King, there is no transparency and barely any democracy.

5. Unlike the US, there are major right-wing parties calling for persecution of minorities

6. Social pressure there to conform is enormous. There are explicit government policies to force everyone into the middle, both economically & culturally.

7. This is a culture that invented apartheid and it was the basis for Dutch societal organization for much of the 20th century - it's remnants are everywhere.

8. The Dutch generally don't like outsiders and it's an exceedingly difficult society to penetrate unless you have family ties.

The Netherlands is NOT the fantasy land you think it is. I lived there for 4 years and my SO is currently a Dutch government official (and a former investigative journalist in NL)... This kind of broad generalization makes the Dutch cringe.

It's one thing to be a tourist, but the reality of living there will be much, much different.

1. lucki bstard

He didn't say it was ideal, he just said it was better than the US; and lets be honest where would you rather live, US or Netherlands.

On the plus side the beer will be better in Netherlands

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

On the plus side the beer will be better in Netherlands

Ah, but now you've hit the next best choice: Belgium - at least the Flemish/Dutch speaking Northern half of it. And I say that as a Dutchman - I *much* prefer Belgium. OK, it has its own troubles (corruption, for instance), but if you find a good job here it's a decent place to be, and the people are in general quite open and friendly, which may or may not have something to do with the 150+ different kinds of beer they have available :).

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"and lets be honest where would you rather live, US or Netherlands"

The USA thank you very much. :-)

Agreeing with most of the valid negative points mentioned earlier about the Netherlands. let me also add it's one of the most densely populated countries in the world. You simply can not avoid people. Think a congested hell hole the size of NY State filled with grumpy people (grumpy cause they can not avoid each other). Where NY State is tranquil and quiet in many parts and you can easily escape the crowds when the need arises, not to mention the West (mid/pacific).

Silicon Valley has "great outdoors" right at your doorstep basically... I can go for long steep mountain bike rides, or hikes, pretty much when I step out the door. I can forgive a (civilised) country a lot for just these things.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Or move to America's "great outdoors" - Canada !

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

6) "There are explicit government policies to force everyone into the middle, both economically & culturally." So there are fewer fat-cat billionaires to exploit the workers and fewer homeless people?

4) In the US, a lot of public offices are elected. That means whoever has the biggest checkbook wins.

2) Can't I just ignore the Amish television channels?

3. Aitor 1

Sorry, I wont renounce to my nationality. And that is a problem as I cannot get the british one without renouncing..

9. Montague Wanktrollop

Nice to see...

...that a degree puts you at the top of the pile with total disregard for actual experience

1. midcapwarrior

Re: Nice to see...

Not top of the pile.

Separate pile

10. John 104

@luckibastard

You are wrong on the beer. The Pacific Northwest has some of the best beer in the world. I'm not talking piss beer like Bud, or euro beer like Heinikin. I'm talking about high quality craft brews that are flavorful mouthgasms. :) Oh, and Kalifornia and Colorado have some good stuff too.

As for the H1B crap. I've been a victim of layoffs and seen folks holding visas get to keep their jobs...

Most recently I was at M$ as a contractor prior to their 18 month BS. I promptly started looking for, and got a permanent job at a local company and couldn't be happier (wasn't interested in waiting around until a) the market got flooded with talent, or b) I got lucky(?) enough to get hired full time). That being said, there are thousands of full time MS employees who are working with visas. Are they good at their jobs? Sure. Are they any more qualified than I am? Hardly.

The whole thing should be thrown out except for highly specialized fields of work. IT used to be in that bucket but isn't really any more specialized than the next field of play.

11. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

H1-B system is broken

The H1-B system is broken. What is it meant for? For being able to bring in specialists that are in short supply in the US. The main example I've heard is Siemens being able to bring in German nuclear technicians trained in operating Siemens' nuclear power plants and so on, to either keep operating them or to train locals (who are already specialists on nuclear systems, just not Siemen's specifically.)

What is it NOT meant for? Companies deciding they want to overlook the numerous talented American programmers just lined up waiting for a job, instead preferring to pretend they "can't find anybody" and locking H1-B programmers into a kind of indentured servitude.

What do I mean? They will list jobs with impossible requirements, like 10 years of experience with software that's been out for 5 years. If you don't meet EACH and EVERY requirement (including the impossible ones) you are excluded so they can legally claim they found nobody that met the requirements.... and of course, if you claim you DO meet those requirements you're excluded for lying. (This is not speculation, to verify the general scuttlebutt that this is what happens, there've been investigative reports where people applied to some of these "impossible" jobs both claiming they did and did not meet the requirements, recorded the responses, and tracked what ultimately happened with the jobs.) They then claim they couldn't find anybody and need H1-B employees. They pay the H1-B hirees like 1/2 to 2/3rds the usual rate. What did I mean by indentured servitude? Well, being in the US under H1-B relies on having a "sponsor" (i.e. a company you're working for). If you put up a fuss, you're gone, and then shipped back out of the country. They are in the weakest possible bargaining position.

The sick part? These companies that abuse the H1-B system essentially to save money are so convinced this is the way to do it, they don't even try offering locals the H1-B pay rate. I think the job market is poor enough that they would be able to hire plenty of locals at that pay scale; but they don't even offer it first.

12. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

"Lay off the Fox News koolaid, AC. H1B employers can't give lower wages to H1B holders, immigration law mandates a higher wage to avoid 'taking them over a US citizen'. They also have to prove there's a shortage of available US citizens to do the job. There is a real shortage, probably because CompSci degrees are still low in the US."

I do agree that, in fact, the letter of the law of the H1B system actually does prevent the types of problems that I outlined in my previous post and agrees with what you are saying here. (Other than the Fox News part -- I don't think Fox News is sophisticated enough to cover H1B abuse.) But, there seems to be ABSOLUTELY NO ENFORCEMENT. I have no idea how they aren't called out, each and every time, they pay H1-B employees less than everyone else since this is so easy to determine. But, it's been documented that their pay is substantially lower, and nothing is done about it. And, as I say in my other post, to "prove" there is a shortage, they simply list impossible job requirements, then conveniently neglect to ask potential H1-B hires the same questions (which of course would exclude 100% of them too.) I have no idea how employers are not called out for this either. There is not a real shortage, there is intense competition for each and every IT or programming-related job I've seen.

13. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Time to replace ...

... that stone tablet the Statue of Liberty is holding with a laptop*.

*A Lenovo, of course.

14. redneck

L-1B visa

Don't forget about the L-1B visa. Obama recently said "And this could benefit hundreds of thousands of non-immigrant workers and their employers, that in turn, will benefit our entire economy and spur additional investment."

200k workers trumps 65k workers any day ...

Last I heard there were still thousands of houses in foreclosure. 200k new workers could fix that problem pretty easily...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Modern day worker abuse

I understand and agree there should be more open borders and a more free transport of people labour between countries. However the way it's been executed in, for example, the USA leaves a lot to be desired.

IT companies in the USA don't really "cry" for just skilled employees, they cry for skilled employees who they can then pay a lot less than US residents and citizens. The visa restrictions and the employee's low demands (generally coming from poorer lower income countries) allow the employer to impose a form of worker abuse.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The land of opportunity

That's what the ass clowns probably think.

17. Someone Else Silver badge
    Mushroom

Hey Mark: Here's a hammer, there's the beach, bitch!

In 2013, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg demanded an H-1B overhaul, saying "to lead the world in this new economy, we need the most talented and hardest-working peoplepeople whom we can hold hostage and make work for peanuts."

There. Fixed it for ya, bitch! Now go and fuck off (because if you really wanted the most talented and hardest-working people, you need look no farther than the class of 2015's American C.S. or Computer Engineering graduates).

18. noominy.noom

It is not just the big tech companies that are clamoring for unfair advantages. In the U.S. midwest I have seen some big insurance companies crying about no workers available while loads of people were leaving the area because they couldn't find jobs. This was in the mid 1990's when it was most blatant but I saw it still occurring in the 2006 time frame. I have one acquaintance who is a VP at a small software company. His son, who was early thirties at the time, moved out of the area specifically to get an IT job that paid a middle class salary.

19. Frank N. Stein

Can we at least add a requirement that immigrants (particularly immigrants from India) at least be able to fluently and clearly speak ENGLISH?? It's annoying for an American to get phone calls and voice mails from Indian recruiters who can barely speak English. I'm not returning a phone call from someone who's voice mail message is barely understandable.

So you speak English fluently in America now ?

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They've got this nailed in China

I've just come back from the US and saw this article in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/04/us/california-homes-raided-in-federal-crackdown-on-chinese-birth-tourism.html

Basically, expectant Chinese mothers book a trip to the US, have the baby there and then return home. According to the article the baby is entitled to a US passport and (upon reaching the age of 21) can assist its parents to immigrate.

Now that's what you call long-term planning.

Re: They've got this nailed in China

It can also be drafted to fight in future wars against China.

A German colleague in the office is trying to work out how to get out of USA for the birth - without having to sit around on leave for 3months (airlines generally won't let you fly in 3rd trimester) - so that the baby isn't automatically property of uncle sam.

1. Mike Smith

Re: They've got this nailed in China

Drive or take the train to Canada or Mexico?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like