back to article What type of storage does your application really need?

When you are doing the spec for some new server hardware, what do you consider? Well, first you decide whether you will go for a physical server infrastructure or a virtual one. For the former you buy several modest-sized servers, and for the latter you look at a small number of socking great machines or perhaps a blade-based …

1. Nate Amsden

not SAN

at least not in the traditional sense. This article reads like you are building your own storage system I see no mention of something simple like high availability, or reliability, or replication, online upgrades, caching, storage system architecture, or the multitude of other software/hardware capabilities that modern storage systems offer.

For some folks building their own is the way to go, though for most it is probably not the best idea. Something as simple as firmware (and firmware upgrades) on the storage media can pose quite a problem.

The last time I had to deal with firmware issues on HDDs was about 6 years ago, on Dell servers, and the only way to upgrade the firmware was for someone to go to the server and boot with a DOS boot disk (the firmware didn't even have a changelog we upgraded them as a last resort to try to fix a performance issue and it turned out it worked).

My systems since have been boot from SAN(with only a handful of exceptions), so I haven't had to worry about firmware, the storage system upgrades it for me in the background.

2. richardcox13

> High-end storage: […] Frankly, unless you already have a pile of Fibre Channel disk shelves then go for SATA.

I think someone meant "SAS" there, otherwise the next sentence – backward compatible with SATA – does not make sense (and who does high end storage on SATA?).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like