back to article Microsoft, Getty settle image snatch 'suit

Microsoft and Getty Images have resolved a dispute by getting into bed together. The legal imbroglio between the two kicked off last September when Getty sued Microsoft for making it too easy to find its images with the Bing Image Search widget. Once it saw the sueball heading its way, Redmond shuttered the widget and the …

1. cortland

Ploor ALWAYS complains.

2. hplasm
    Happy

Eddor meets Ploor

Treaties signed.

Hilarity ensures.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Eddor meets Ploor

Actually, Eddore and Ploor were on the same side and part of the same team (one was subordinate to t'other, but I can't remember which way round it was - I suspect it was Eddore as Ploor only turned up in the last book).

The real linkup was between Eddore and the Delgonians.

1. hplasm
        Alien

True, true- but they had to meet up at one time...then it was game on.

The Delgonians did indeed know how to party though.

2. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

The Eddorians were the top of the bad pile. They were introduced in the books earlier because the whole premise of the story arc was that the struggle between the Arisians and the Eddorians was of necessity fought by proxy through the subordinate organisations each of them created, because neither the Arisians nor the Eddorians could defeat the other directly.

The struggle was basically between the side that would hold on tightly to the reins of power, and the one that which would hand on control to those who were more capable, whose creation was necessary to completely defeat the other.

It is necessary to think in terms of the entire story line, from Triplanitary through Children of the Lens (forget The Vortex Blaster, that really wasn't part of the story line, and was a great disappointment when reading the last books in sequence for the first time, because at the end of "Children.." you thought that you still had one more super-epic story to go).

The point that Smith was trying to make was that The Evil could not see it's own limitations, whereas The Good embraced their own limits, even when it would lead to their own demise. The fact that each layer on the bad side thought that they were the top suited the episodic nature of the books, and allowed the story to get progressively more epic with each book. I still feel that it would be possible to produce films based on the books that would suit the effects-led film industry that we have.

In my view, the sequence of films should start with the story in Galactic Patrol, with possibly more than one film per book, and the stories in Triplanitary and First Lensman interwoven as 'prequel' films.

In my formative years, the concept of the stories seemed so simple. It's a shame "the real world" is not like this.

3. frank ly

Just wondering

If Getty don't want anyone to find their images, why do they make them findable on the internet?

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. The First Dave

That's true, but then again I don't start a dispute with your girlfriend _every_ day...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That technique works with my girlfriend, too...?

Yes...yes it does. Don't forget to thank her for me ;-p

5. Thunderbird 2

Golden Lensmen ??

I recall Lensmen, Grey Lensmen, 2nd Stage Lensmen and even one Red Lensman (well woman really), but no Golden Lensmen

1. dorsetknob
      Paris Hilton

Golden lensman

Lensman Frankie went to Hollywood and made Golden Lensman of those below him

Paris because she is a fan of ...............

6. CAPS LOCK

Getting into bed with Microsoft...

... that always works out well. For Microsoft.

1. CheesyTheClown

Re: Getting into bed with Microsoft...

Snore... the evil empire has fallen. Ballmer (that fool) killed it.

Microsoft is one of the nicer companies out there now. This deal actually sounds like it could be good for Getty. What confuses me is, I couldn't find anything on their site without Google

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As an 8 y/o

EE Smith was a great writer, however, by the time I was 9 he was seeming a bit simplistic and by age 10 I regarded him little better than the Commando comics my younger brother reads (yes - over 40 and still reads them).

8. DeVino
    Alien

We need more valves, generators and extra ravening beams of energy !!!!

Books were great fun but you have to bear in mind when then were written.

Lensmen were not allowed to drink but all smoked like chimneys :-)

9. cortland

They needed Mentoring.

http://www.scifiwright.com/2013/10/the-gray-lensman-by-e-e-doc-smith/

10. Al Brown

I thought the lensmen books stand against drug runners was admirable at the time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like