back to article In the time it takes you to watch The Hangover, AT&T will pay a $25m fine for privacy scandal

AT&T will pay a $25m fine after crooked staff leaked subscribers' personal records to criminals flogging stolen cellphones. About 40 of telco's employees in its international call centers leafed through the accounts of 280,000 people without permission, pulling up their names, telephone numbers, and at least the last four …

1. Mark 85
    Unhappy

The gist is that tightening up their security (in-house and outside threats) would cost them a lot more and hit the bottom line hard. I do believe the fines ought to be a lot stiffer. Maybe Mr. Wheeler and the FCC ought to figure out what their personal details are worth and work the fines from there....

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think the gist here is that they were unlocking phones locked by the carriers own plan shenanigans (and maybe one or two stolen ones as well)

Doesn't actually seem to have been any identity theft or privacy breach - just sloppy work that might impact shareholder profits.

Shame we don't see record beating fines for deliberate corporate privacy breaches....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

revenue != profit

it's scabby "The Sun" journalism to conflate these ideas: I can't buy lunch with my gross pay cheque and AT&T has to pay the fine from their nett income (unless fines are deductible, etc)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like