back to article Bell Canada pulls U-turn on super-invasive web-stalking operation

Following the Canadian Privacy Commissioner's investigation into "an unprecedented number of complaints" regarding Bell Canada, the telecommuncations giant is suddenly back-pedalling on its customer tracking policy. A report from the Canadian Privacy Commissioner's Office (OPC) has urged telecommunications companies to adopt " …

1. mevets

bell tolls

I likely misunderstand this, but I thought the concept of a ‘common carrier’ was rooted in not being liable for what you do not know about. For instance, the post office may deliver my libellous documents, but are not themselves party to the offence because they were simply the delivery agent. On the other hand, had they read and understood my documents, and then proceeded to deliver them, they would be party to the offence.

That said, would it not be better to leave these creepy ISPs alone, then drag them in as a participating party to every internet related crime?

My deep distaste for Bell Canada may be evident from this fantasy....

1. keith_w

Re: bell tolls

As far as I can tell, the common carrier, Bell Canada, was the one committing these "internet related crimes".

2. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Bell is my ISP. Depending on their understanding of things, they might believe that I have a deep interest in Asian Felines.

3. What is Truth

Its not ... Bell is only one of the players here. Most ISPs are doing this. All with government approval. Look out .. you might hate Bell my friend .. but really our Government are using most ISPs for this activity and now they want to pass Bill C 51 that will cover this all up. This ... This is just a smoke screen to keep everyone split and not fighting against Bill C 51 .. this bill is far worse than anyone can fathom. Look back at history ... 1931 .. they might not have had the internet .. but they had the census and much more .. IBM helped them put their death lists together .... if you look at Bill C 51 it legalizes everything Bell is doing. Everyone should read it .. its boring for the first part until you get half way and then you realize no matter what changes ... this bill has to be scraped it over writes all the laws acts and rules in Canada .... lets all concentrate on phoning emailing our MP .. get this bill gone .. if you hate Bell .. you should hate this bill.

2. Mark 85

Shame on Ma Bell - Canada

Don't they know that in-depth data collection is the government's job? Er.. wait.. the government can ask them for the data. Conundrum... If they can't collect it, how can they turn it over?

3. NoOneSpecific
    Thumb Down

Boycott BELL and send a clear message

The answer in these things is always simple. Vote with your wallet. If you do not like their practices, don't use their services. Sometimes standing up for your beliefs, holding fast to your morals, showing true character come at a cost but isn't there always a price for freedom and your privacy?

Talk the talk or walk the walk.

1. ratfox
      Windows

Re: Boycott BELL and send a clear message

Canada is almost even worse than the US when it comes to choice. You may have to stop using the Internet to follow this advice.

2. CanadianMacFan

And go to Rogers? Hardly much better.

1. Vector

That would be easy if there were just one naughty company. What to do when they're all naughty!?

3. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

List of available high speed ISP options at my address:

1) Bell FiberOP at 150-200 Mbps

-end-

List of available medium speed ISP options at my address:

1) Bell ADSL at 1.4 Mbps

-end-

List of other options:

1) dial up - no.

2) satellite - no way.

3) mobile - no.

None of these are actually viable

Monopolies need regulation. End.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

If you can get Bell you should be able to get TekSavvy.

4. Gordon 10
    WTF?

Customers

How come none of these fucktards can actually remember who their customers are?

It baffles me.

1. Vector

Re: Customers

They remember who their important customers are: The Advertisers. The people using their service are just fodder.

2. Someone Else Silver badge
      FAIL

@ Gordon 10 -- Re: Customers

How come none of these fucktards can actually remember who their customers are?

Oh, the know full well who their customers are. It seems however, that you may not.

Their customers are the multimationals who subscribe to the "Relevant Advertising Program". The poor sods who use their phones and internet connections are not Bell's customers, they are Bell's product.

You really should know this by now...

1. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

Re: @ Someone Else -- Customers

I doubt that the advertising revenue under this particular advertising program can match the income stream from their millions of $100/month ISP customers.

Which is why they're so willing to back away without a further argument.

5. elDog

Sounds like ATT/Verizon in the lower states

Opt-Out? If possible, required phone calls and emails to major execs.

Opt-In? Hah. Never.

Just a bit of blue sky thinking here, but wouldn't it be possible to require every service provider to list their "things" in a comparable format (XML):

- Bandwidth caps and all rules changing these caps

- Tracking devices and how to disable tracking

- Throttling based on various rules (list them all)

- Last month/year/5-year performance (per-user bandwidth, etc.)

- Last month/year/5-year customer complaints (if believable: satisfaction index)

This or some variation of this should be sent quarterly to their licensing agencies. This should be freely available within 1 month of publishing. This should be verifiable and if found deficient should result in a 3 month warning with public disclosure, and if unresolved the loss of their telecommunications abilities.

Oh, and customers that couldn't get their contracted LOS should be released from their contracts without penalty.

Oh, since many of us are forced to deal with only one ISP (rural or state/country hegemony), this is all a bunch of poopycock.

6. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

"We’re dedicated to protecting customer privacy and thank the commission for clarifying the rules."

Yeah, way to lie Bell. (Obviously not dedicated to protecting customer privacy, when they continued to track customers who SPECIFICALLY said they didn't want to be by opting out, until threatened with court action.)

"Canada is almost even worse than the US when it comes to choice. "

There's no almost here. Canada actually has it worse -- high DSL and cable prices with low low data caps are typical. And wireless? Heh, I thought US pricing is bad, plans there have even higher data prices, instead of "unlimited voice" they have high priced capped voice plans, sometimes still with long distance charges and roaming charges outside a local market.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

@Henry Wertz 1

I think you're being very unfair. Bell Canada is enormously dedicated to protecting the privacy of the advertisers that buy Bell Canada subscriber tracking data.....Wait, you thought that YOU were the customer Bell Canada should be protecting? That's sweet in a kind of pathetically hopeful way :)

7. Spaceman Spiff

RIght!

Bell Canada is as dedicated to protecting their customers' privacy as a crocodile is to preserving their food stores - both are meat!

8. TaabuTheCat

On the brighter side...

It's really telling - and cause for optimism - that 170 complaints is "unprecedented". What it means is the lot of us (me included) need to stop spending all of our time bitching on forums and start voicing our complaints where it can actually make a difference.

If all it took was 170 complaints to get them to actually DO something that caused Bell Canada to back down, there's still hope!

1. GBE

Re: On the brighter side...

> It's really telling - and cause for optimism - that 170 complaints is "unprecedented".

Well, remember it's Canada. They tend to be pretty easy going up there (as long as it's not about hockey).

1. Grade%
        Flame

"They tend to be pretty easy going up there"

Oh yes. We're all polite fuckers we are. We will let you fuck with us until that one day that it's enough. You don't want to meet an ANGRY CANADIAN.

And Bell? Well, they're very much on the threshold -- musing about outlawing VPNs is one foot in that's for sure.

After all, how do you think we watch out of market hockey? ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Well, remember it's Canada. They tend to be pretty easy going up there (as long as it's not about hockey)."

Or beer. Or beer and hockey.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mobile services

There was more choice, options and cheaper plans in UK when I left 10 years ago than there are in Canada now.

While sorting out my contract recently it was interesting listening to the British couple next to me who had just moved here repeatedly say that all they wanted was a cheap basic plan. Once they got into definition of local v long distance it was almost comical.

10. DanceMan

Bell, again

Bell is the company whose CEO ordered CTV (Canada's largest private broadcaster, which Bell owns) to keep the head of the CRTC off the news following a ruling Bell didn't like.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/bell-head-meddled-in-ctv-news-coverage/article23607402/

Meanwhile Harper's gov't is starving the CBC to ensure we no longer have a non-corporate news source.

Anyone beginning to see a pattern here?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Formal complaints to the CCTS are very effective

Years ago, I received a significant 4-digit settlement from one misbehaving telco. A few hours work to make it happen, but well worth it. Pure profit due to the circumstances.

More recently, a medium 3-digit account credit to compensate for lies and deception regarding a mobile plan. Only took ten minutes effort in total to claw back their proceeds from their scam. No profit, but satisfaction.

Two for two.

CCTS would be used more if people knew how simple and effective the process was. Almost "Click here to spank your telco." About that easy.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

These are rules that must apply not only to Canadian companies

"These are rules that must apply not only to Canadian companies but to international companies operating here, like Facebook and Google, to ensure a fair and competitive marketplace."

That'll be rather interesting to watch.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: These are rules that must apply not only to Canadian companies

That will be interesting to watch, but considering that most people don't pay Google or FB for web services rendered and they do pay Bell Canada for services rendered, it might be hard to argue that Bell Canada should be on the same legal footing as FB and Google.

13. What is Truth

Do not be fooled .. this is about Bill C51

Bell is just one of many that have or are doing this for all levels in government .. at leased 14 different departments are doing what bell has been caught doing. Government whats this to be legal and secret Bill C 51 is dangerous .. it can not be fixed. It has to go back to the drawing board no matter what any one is stating. Bill C 51 makes all of this legal. Read it .. its in the middle of the bill ... Rules Acts and Laws will be over written IF this bill sees the light of day. Bell is not the problem here ... it is the government getting a feel of how to make all of this legal.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like