back to article US law enforcement rushes to assist bumbling Canuck pirates

Crewmates of a replica Canadian pirate ship were rescued last week by US coast guards after the vessel’s engine shut off. Coast guards rescued nine pirates from the Canadian tall ship Liana's Ransom after receiving notification that the vessel's engines were disabled and its sails were wrapped around the mast. As the weather …

1. Doogs

ffs

"reached out to us"

2. Ole Juul

3 meter waves

This was quite an adventure and considering the weather with high seas and high winds it was obviously not a matter of "bumbling". There was a lot of damage and it sounds like the right decisions were made.

3. skeptical i
    Pirate

"the vessel's engine shut off"?

Eh wot, the galley slaves all keeled over at once? What proper pirate ship have an engine, matey?

Ditto Doogs about "reached out to us" -- ffs indeed.

4. jake Silver badge

So let me get this right ...

A 26 meter (85ish feet) ship's crew were "rescued" by a couple of 47 foot ships? And they didn't think that the 85 foot ship was in danger of sinking sans crew, so they left a transponder on her so she could be retrieved later? In only 10 foot "waves" (seas or swells? Inquiring minds & all that.). And both engines died, in the same incident? And four months earlier, they lost their mast in a similar bit of ... uh ... All I can come up with is "gross incompetence".

Them's not poirate's, matey. Them be lubbers. O' t'first order. But modern-day pirates, mind ... separating fools from their money.

On the bright side, the US Coasties had a good training run at Canada's expense ;-)

1. asdf

Re: So let me get this right ...

>the US Coasties had a good training run at Canada's expense

Out of Gloucester my guess would be they get quite a bit of the real thing rescuing fisherman as that from what I understand is basically the center of US east coast fishing.

5. TeaLeaf

I've been on her...

I went for a couple hours cruise on her out of Penetanguishene two years ago. Having been on several tall shops previously, Liana's Ransom is definitely a 'poseur'. Just a party boat with masts and sails stuck on for decoration.

1. Mark 85

Re: I've been on her...

Therein is a big part of the problem. This vessel wasn't designed for anything except coastal day trips to head out to open sea was just pure stupidity. As for the head injury, the idiot was told to jump into the water and then he'd be pulled out but he decided to leap from one ship to the other. I guess he didn't want to get his shoes wet.

1. asdf

> I guess he didn't want to get his shoes wet.

Don't know about that. Showing reluctance jumping into super cold ass ocean when it isn't completely calm is mildly understandable. Of course I live in the middle of desert so what do I know.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Was it for a Three Hour Tour (Three hour tour)...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

I guess Canadians are too nice to be good pirates...

"Thanks for picking us up, eh."

7. JaitcH
    Unhappy

Britain couldn't do this ...

it has a bare-bones Coast Guard type service.

Even the UK has to call on the USA to chase Russian subs away from Scotland. And to think the UK once 'ruled the waves'.

1. VeganVegan
      Trollface

Re: Britain couldn't do this ...

Like, "Britannia rue the waves"?

8. Allan George Dyer
    Pirate

Wrong masthead picture...

Should be Captain Pugwash.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wrong masthead picture...

The Black Pig?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon