back to article Take a deep breath, Apple: Europe snaps on gloves for vigorous iTunes stream pat-down

Apple is once again in the headlights of oncoming government regulators, this time over its forthcoming iTunes music-streaming service. Reports from The New York Times and Wall Street Journal cite well-placed sources claiming the Cupertino idiot-tax operation is being scrutinized by the European Commission over its dealings …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a surprise

For years apple have using their market position to get labels to sign exclusivity in the contracts. As usual for apple, very anti consumer. It's all about the lock in.

This is why you you would have to be a total pleb to want anything to do with Apple on any level whatsoever. It's pretty hard to be more scummy than Microsoft, but apple have achieved it.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Not a surprise

> It's pretty hard to be more scummy than Microsoft, but apple have achieved it.

I think you'll find that part of the music industry has a far longer history of scummy abuse of consumers and artists than Apple or MS does.

In any case, all this article is about is the European Commission asking some questions to see if a investigation is required into a service Apple hasn't even launched yet.

1. Gideon 1

> In any case, all this article is about is the European Commission asking some questions to see if a investigation is required into a service Apple hasn't even launched yet.

This is the European Commission asking some questions to see if some illegal contracts have been signed between Apple and the music industry.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"For years apple have using their market position to get labels to sign exclusivity in the contracts"

How has this manifested exactly? There doesn't seem to be any evidence for it!

2. TheProf
    Facepalm

Huh?

Wait a minute. Apple paid $3 billion dollars for Beats streaming and now they're going to change the name?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Huh?

"Apple Beats" sounds more like some new cereal and/or fruit rollup product than a streaming music service. Beats from Apple? I'll let the marketing geniuses, to use that qualifier very loosely, figure that one out. As for how it'll work? Controlling the hardware and going vertical with the content works very well for Apple. Look how the rest of the industry has conceded to their App market models. They'll figure this out as well and the labels will do their level best to force it on the rest of us. That's reality... even if I hate it. And no, I don't do Apple nor "digital content" beyond the books I've been collecting for the ages.

1. BobRocket

Re: Huh?

They'll change the name to iBeet and the logo will be a little beetroot, you run it on your watch via your phone to your buds while you jog in the park at lunchtime between meetings and presentations.

3. DerekCurrie
    Trollface

"The Cupertino idiot-tax operation"...

... is an opinion TOO easy to bomb into oblivion. I can only laugh at willful ignorance. Enjoy your bliss Shaun. I'm willing to be I'm more blissful with my Apple gear.

1. Warm Braw

Re: "The Cupertino idiot-tax operation"...

Well, the normal laws of economics don't seem to be able to explain Apple's margins, so it's at least a feasible hypothesis. But if you genuinely find Apple products blissful, then perhaps the plastic gives off some kind of happy gas. More research is clearly needed - as long as someone else pays for the kit...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like