back to article ESA reveals Rosetta's snaps of MARS and EARTH

The European Space Agency (ESA) has released a trove of images captured by the Rosetta probe during its journey to Comet 67P/ Churyumov-Gerasimenko. Rosetta launched in 2004 but dipped into Earth's gravity well three times, and Mars' once, to conduct “gravity assist manoeuvres” designed to speed it on its way to 67P. During …

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Joke

Nice pictures

But what is missing in the picture of Earth is a little arrow saying "You are here" for that total perspective vortex effect. You would also need to extrapolate the current state of the entire universe from a small piece of fairy cake, for the full effect, of course.

2. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Joke

So close...

Almost a Wings LP.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And by public domain...

And by Mars we mean Venus, and by Rosetta we mean I snapped a couple of photos on the balcony last night. Public domain is public domain, and Creative Commons is open source – come on!

4. Gordo Rex
    Black Helicopters

Good One!

For a moment there I almost thought that you were trying to persuade us that these photo-shopped images were actually taken from space. Then I realized what day it is.

You had me going, though.

Now, where's the tin foil?

1. Mark 85

Re: Good One!

Follow the link in the article. They're there and appear real.

1. Paul Kinsler

Re: Good One!

Don't forget to admire each and every one of the 680 pics from the Cruise-2 phase - very exciting! :-)

5. BuckeyeB

If we are going to bother to put a camera on a craft and launch it at something with the idea of providing pictures, why can't they put a color camera in too. I'd like to get a pic of something that wasn't color-enhanced.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like