back to article Sony snags Spotify for streaming music to Playstation gamers

On Sunday, as promised, Sony killed off its Music Unlimited song streaming service and now the replacement is in place: Spotify is slinging music to PlayStation users from the cloud. "Music has always been a big part of gaming," said Gustav Söderström, chief product officer at Spotify. "I remember playing computer games like …

1. Haku

"Sony killed off its Music Unlimited song streaming service"

So it's not just ISPs that lie about their 'unlimited' services then.

2. Gerhard den Hollander

bluray ?

Would this service also be available on Sony's blu-ray line ?

Some (all?) of them are basically just PS3's without the gaming bits anyway.

[oversimplified]

3. Matt 21

Hyperbole

"The software can also be controlled remotely using a smartphone app linked to Spotify, allowing the user to pause, skip forward on track lists, or even pick a new song without interrupting gameplay."

Doesn't sound likely does it? There I am driving around Spa at top speed and somehow my smartphone allows me to change the music track without interrupting my "gameplay". How does that work then? I suspect the reality is that the track can be changed by smartphone and anyone who chooses to do so will probably pause the game during the operation.

I suppose it doesn't sound quite so "cool" when put like that!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hyperbole

Well, you can already control music by voice..."next song". Supposedly you can FREELY pick songs as well. I cant find anything free with good voice recg. though. If voice cant cut it, you could use a foot pedal/lag switch.

My point is that I agree with you on all distractive devices, and if you were to choose the least distractive, it wouldn't be this. HOWEVER....this does help get a Sony app on your mobile for Somy like... things (be careful).

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

It's exactly how they were selling their wonderful BD menues that could be overlaid over a running movie. Really, is that what I'd want? Seeing a menu while the film is running behind it? I guess that shows how much they valued the quality of the movies they were going to punt...

2. EnglishRob

Well on the PS4 Spotify can run as a background app (I gather it's one of the new features of the new firmware that was released the other day) and sure enough, using Spotify Connect on my Android phone I was able to select tracks on the phone and play them through the PS4.

I haven't tried it with an actual game yet (tried it briefly before going to bed) but I'm guessing that if you have your phone next to you then you'll be able to use Spotify on your phone to skip tracks or select new tracks while in a game. I for one am looking forward to playing Watchdogs with Spice Girls as the soundtrack :-)

Rob

3. Gerhard den Hollander

set your cellphone to spotify connect

have it so that spotify is full screen

have the prev,pause,next buttons on your screen

whenever you want to change th music, reach down to where you know the cellphone is, and hit next ..

kinda like hitting the audio shortcut keys on your keyboard while playing a game

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like