back to article Boring fixed 'net users still dominate Oz market

By now it must be obvious that Australia's mobile data allowances are laughable: in the last quarter of 2014, year-on-year growth in fixed broadband downloads outpaced total mobile downloads by nearly 3:1. The Australian Bureau of Statistics' (ABS') regular Internet Activity publication shows that fixed consumption went up by …

1. Sebastian A

If Australia is anything like NZ

then the reason for the trickle of mobile broadband is that it's horrendously overpriced. A mobile (prepay or post-pay) monthly packet will usually consist of a set amount of voice, text and data, and wanting to get more data will often come with a bundle of pointless voice and text, at an exorbitant price. A monthly package with a couple of gigs of data can cost as much as your entire fixed broadband package with a hundred times as much data (if it has a cap at all).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If Australia is anything like NZ

Yep, ridiculously expensive. My plan comes with about 1GB of data for something like AU$30/month, then if I go over, I get slugged 3c/MB.

To put that into contrast, my business grade ADSL2 connection here is 100GB data for AU$80/month, and I get 0.5c/MB if I go over. (Which has happened exactly once when my plan was 10GB/month; we got to 16GB.)

My typical usage on the mobile is maybe 10MB/month. My typical usage these days on the home ADSL is about 25GB/month.

2. P. Lee

Who cares about mobile grow vs fixed?

Far more important is mobile peek usage growth vs mobile peek usage capacity.

More fixed-line use is good for everyone.

3. eatdicks

Ausmerica

Australian internet seems very poor for a, supposedly, first world country.

I checked some prices and had to triple check as you get 1GB for around $30 AUD which surprised me but Australians get charged a lot more for products than anyone else (if you purchase adobe products using an australian proxy the price jumps over $1000 for no apparent reason)

This is what you get for doing so well during the economic crisis and electing politicians that look after big business. Everyone I know from Australia works on the mines - they appear to have no other industry - but those resources will run out eventually; and then what?

1. hungee

Re: Ausmerica

So many wrong things..

1st.

The mining industry in Australia employs 13% of the population. Most of that is construction.

By far the biggest employers are in Education, Health and Retail/Hospitality.

We call it the Aus Tax. We get shafted by big business because they can. Also because our exchange rate is currently 75c USD for every AUD. So it costs more.

Yes, we have a super dumb amazingly corrupt Gvmt at the moment. But then I guess we are having our "George Bush" moment.

We have a rubbish broadband system because we have issues with political/economic systems, a large landmass to cover, financial issues that are hard to shake and most of all a dumbass gvmt that thinks taking care of the trucks rather than packets will expand our economy.

Them's the breaks.

2. Cpt Blue Bear

Re: Ausmerica

Australia isn't really a First World Country in the way Europeans (and I'm lumping you Poms in with them) or even 'Mericans think of it. We are more like Spain or Canada - a lot of space with relatively few people lounging around the edges and a lot of space in between. Good weather (Canadian winters aside), good food and some decent surfing if you know where to look. But nobody really understands how it works and very few really give a fuck.

Costs for just about everything are high here for reasons far to complicated to go into. In the case of telecommunications, a major factor is that its a bloody long way between Australians and what connects us* is pretty much all owned by one company who have systematically failed to keep the string both dry and taut.

What they have done is build out a lot of expensive wireless infrastructure in the hope we'd pay through our collective proverbial to make video calls to one another from taxis in downtown Sydney. The other infrastructure builders have pretty much followed this model.

On the plus side, I can cross three time zones without roaming charges or wondering whether I'll even be able to make a call because the local carrier doesn't talk to mine.

Swing, meet roundabout.

Last time I looked, mining employs under 8% of working Aussies, a lot less now, which is less than manufacturing and even I'm hard pressed to think of something actually made here. The majority of those work in the back office rather than at the coalface, so to speak, so your mates who work "on the mines" are a very small sample set. The immediate limit on the resource sector is not availability of raw materials, its demand and a failure of management to understand how their customers run their economies. Don't worry about us running out of stuff to dig up, that's the least of problems right now.

* For the benefit of non-Aussies that's a joke on the tag line of a Telstra ad campaign

4. Medixstiff

I don't understand...

Have none of the negative commenter's shopped around for mobile services?

I have an iiNet 1TB plan costing $90 p/month and an iiNet branded Optus plan with 3GB data and $700 worth of calls for $40 p/month.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't understand...

I have an iiNet 1TB plan costing $90 p/month and an iiNet branded Optus plan with 3GB data and $700 worth of calls for $40 p/month.

I'm on Telstra because the places where I'm most likely to use it are places where mobile phone reception is at its worst.

As for 3GB quota for $40… don't make me laugh. 30GB and maybe you're getting somewhere. Besides, what pays for the other $660 worth of calls?

5. Martin Budden Silver badge

Three reasons.

1. Although fixed broadband is slow, mobile is even slower.

2. Although fixed broadband is expensive, mobile is even more expensive.

3. Low population density means very large areas with little/no mobile cover.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like