back to article Bloke faces 25 years in the cooler for upsetting Thai king on Facebook

Setting a record for what may be the most unreasonable jail sentence ever handed down over a Facebook post, a Thailand citizen has started a 25-year stretch behind bars for five pictures deemed insulting to the country's monarchy. Tiensutham Suttijitseranee, a 58-year-old businessman, was convicted in a closed military court …

1. x 7

Either the King is senile and doesn't know what "his" ministers are doing, or else he's an idiot

1. John Tserkezis

"Either the King is senile and doesn't know what "his" ministers are doing, or else he's an idiot"

"All of the above" is still a valid proposition you know.

2. Fink-Nottle

Wha?

The king's name is Bhumihole?

Settle down, Beavis.

1. Swarthy
      Big Brother

Re: Wha?

And that's 10 years for you, if you ever step foot in Thailand.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Step foot in Thailand

What size stick would you need to scrape it off the bottom of your shoe?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time for the internet at large to start a Thai equivalent of "draw Mohammed" day?

Not that I'd ever suggest such a thing.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The king of Thailand

is a fuckbrained arsewipe. As is his Government. And the Thai military.

Their sticks are pretty cool though!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Failing health?

How dare that you suggest that the King is mortal?

Recall the ambassador until this journalist is extradited!

6. x 7

"As is his Government. And the Thai military."

same thing isn't it?

7. Youngone Silver badge

Worried?

You bet the Thai military are worried. The current King is nearing the end, and according to some reports, the Crown Prince is incapable of ruling.

According to a Thai bloke I know, the current King is still held in high regard by the majority of Thai people, (not everyone however), but the Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn is wildly unpopular, and there are rumours that if he ever tries to take the throne there will be blood spilled in the streets.

I imagine the military are just having a crackdown to try to prevent trouble.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Windows

Re: Worried?

Like the Prince Regent of a while ago in the UK?

8. Allan George Dyer
    Paris Hilton

"That video is no longer available online"

So veoh has a different dog party video?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Right, who said Jehova?

Come on! Who threw that? Who threw that stone? Come on.

What high farce.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a horrible country.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Warning to The Register

I'm a UK citizen but reside in Thailand. I suggest you remove the rude comments on this post quickly by people who don't understand the dynamics of this country. If not there is possibility your whole domain will get blocked completely in Thailand. This is what happened to the Daily Mail website. Yes it is very strict here on this point.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Warning to The Register

"your whole domain will get blocked completely in Thailand"

Our global readership is increasing year on year, but I suspect it is not being propped up by Thailand.

Sorry, sorry – I mean – excellent April Fool comment :-)

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No April Fool. http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2014/05/daily-mail-and-mail-on-sunday-online.html

I'm sharing because i actually quite enjoy your site and wouldn't want to see it blocked here.

1. Bronek Kozicki

Well, tough on you then I'm afraid. You may need to find other ways of reading The Register, I heard Tor Browser is gaining in popularity.

I am very much in doubt The Register would stoop to censoring its comments section (or actual articles), especially for sake of some backwater dictatorship.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

That'll be why the BBC aren't (*) covering the story at all, I suppose.

(* I expect someone will prove me wrong shortly, but I couldn't find it. I searched for Thai lese-majeste and found a few other examples of idiocy, though.)

12. x 7

I'd be more worried about the girls in the local thai "massage" parlour recognising my posting style and refusing future service - or instead taking "punishment" into their own hands during my next appointment.

1. Kevin Fairhurst

and by "worried" you mean "secretly hoping that" ? :)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

or instead taking "punishment" into their own hands during my next appointment.

Phnarr Phnarr

wink wink

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why did Moseley post here?

13. Bernard M. Orwell

When, and if, Thailand begins to take care of its abandoned "street children" issues, then I might begin to take it seriously.

Seems they have other poor victims in greater need of state protection....

14. PassiveSmoking
    Thumb Down

The king of Thailand is an utter nob-end and has sex with farm animals.

Come at me, bro!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

The poor old fellow probably has no idea what is being done in his name; likely doesn't so much reign as drizzle these days - so leave off him and concentrate on the Government

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thailand is a lovely place and the people are nice

But NEVER get yourself arrested or in trouble with the law.

Bangkok Hilton anyone?

16. x 7

Interesting that the girls in the parlours actually treat the guy as a god - they have photos of him on display with glasses of wine and cakes / biccies in front as religious "offerings". Woe betide anyone who drinks the wine or scoffs the food.

17. User McUser
    Devil

Definitely not the most unreasonable...

Setting a record for what may be the most unreasonable jail sentence ever handed down over a Facebook post, a Thailand citizen has started a 25-year stretch behind bars for five pictures deemed insulting to the country's monarchy.

Didn't that one guy in Saudi Arabia get 10 years, fined a million Riyals, and 1000 public lashes for a FB post? I think having the flesh ripped from your buttocks a thousand times by a bamboo cane beats 25 years in prison in the "no me gusta" contest.

Also, he might be facing death by beheading which is arguably even worse.

18. wikkity

photo above the king

> Putting a photo of anybody above a photo of the king – even on a website – is taken to be a crime,

ouch, a css error or browser incompatibility issue could get you in jail!

19. Swarthy
    Paris Hilton

The bit I'm wondering about

While he is in the lock-up for posting pictures that embarrassed the royals, it there any blow-back on said royal for doing the things that were photographed?

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I know this is the wrong crowd

The businessman knows that it is a crime to say bad things against the king. In the same way, we know that it is a crime to go over 70 mph on the motorway. Many complain that 70 mph is too slow for modern cars, however we know that if we get caught going above the speed limit then we get fined and penalty points get added. If we get caught for committing a crime, we should suffer the consequences. Just because you don't agree to their laws, it doesn't mean that you should condemn a country for not having the same laws as you do.

In Indonesia, they tell you that if you bring drugs to the country, there is a death penalty. We shouldn't complain if a country has a law explicitly saying that it is illegal to say anything against the king and someone gets punished for doing so. It isn't something that is unknown.

21. A Ghost
    WTF?

He deserves to be ladyboyed to death whilst choking on his boiled dog, for being so thin-skinned if nothing else. The bloke in charge I mean, not the other one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like