back to article How's your F-ITCH-bit? Surge gizmo sparks rash of complaints, watchdog's attention

Fitbit Surge wearers are complaining about sore and scabby skin after strapping on the exercise-snooping wrist-gizmo. A US watchdog has told us it is probing the gripes. Having a break from my @fitbit Surge. Might need to stop wearing it - nice rash (and my skin isn't usually sensitive) pic.twitter.com/CNQwfEJO1X — Shaun …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

So here we've had a surge of complaints from irritated customers…

… with a suggestion this bit of technology is not fit for purpose in its present form.

But is the firm listening? Seemingly not, but if enough band together, they may be forced to do so, as government intervention these days boils down to little more than a slap on the wrist.

1. Mark 85

Re: So here we've had a surge of complaints from irritated customers…

The other alternative is a class-action lawsuit... which only the lawyers rejoice about.

2. Lyle Dietz
      Pint

Re: So here we've had a surge of complaints from irritated customers…

Well played sir, have one on me.

2. Neoc

"likely from wearing the band too tight, or sweat, water or soap... under the device,"

So Fitbit has designed a product to be worn by people who exercise... which does bad things when combined with *sweat*? There's a reason I don't wear solid straps (plastic or otherwise) with my watch - I live in Australia and sweat is a constant part of simply walking around.

Disclosure: I am the owner of a Fitbit One and love it to bit. But I wear it clipped to a shirt pocket (or in the coin-pocket of my jeans).

1. Franklin

Firm to users: You're tightening it wrong!

2. rh587

"So Fitbit has designed a product to be worn by people who exercise... which does bad things when combined with *sweat*?"

They do recommend you remove it whilst showering, and to allow the skin to breath. I'm not quite sure why people expect to be able to wear anything 24/7 with no ill-effects. The Force did genuinely cause an allergic reaction, but wearing any band 24/7 will leave you with some sort of friction/contact sore regardless of how much it cost, much like bed sores from lying in one place constantly.

I have the next one down (Charge HR), and did develop a small red mark where the Heart Rate sensor presses against the skin, but that was only after I'd worn it a week (including to sleep), only removing it for showers. I just had a couple of days off, only putting it on when I actually went for a run. You're not exactly losing out on a whole lot of data if you take it off for a few hours whilst you're sat at your desk.

3. asdf

Bitch about fitbit = ultimate first world problem

Wow only yuppies blow $250+ and need an electronic device to exercise and then bitch when it doesn't work right.

1. Fluffy Bunny
      Devil

Re: Bitch about fitbit = ultimate first world problem

Definitely a First World Problem.

4. NorthernCoder
    Coat

Fitch-bit

Is that a Spoonerism?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not Fit for purpose

Not even one bit

6. Last Bandit

I wear my surge almost 24/7

and have no problems with it. The strap is slightly elasticated and I have in the past tightened it a little too much. I'm guessing that's the cause of these problems.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like