back to article US woman sues over exploding thong

A 52-year-old US woman has filed suit against Victoria's Secret claiming that an attempt to spice up her underwear drawer ended in corneal trauma after a "decorative metallic piece" flew off an example of the lingerie giant's "Sexy Little Thing" low-rise v-string as she was slipping into the come-hither apparel and gave her an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I bet she

was the butt of the joke....

2. FathomsDown
    Paris Hilton

No IT angle but....

... I can see the PH angle.

3. Fab De Marco
    Coat

Flying V.... Ducks Fly together

Or should that be Fucks Try but-never

Think she is just upset that her husband laughed rather than got aroused.

4. The Douros
    Thumb Down

What a load of pants...

Why this article? No, really, why?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Peek-a-boo, eh!

I can see how that would poke your eye out!.

Paris, because she can also make your eyes water.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Thongs

Are important too ...

Lets not get all hung up on the tech, its just not as relevant in todays pork thrusting, boutique branding, whale song inducing news story.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

the reasonably foreseeable clause

has been met.

After all, considering the size of many 50+ American women, it's a wonder the whole thing didn't explode.

And thanks for the pic Lester. I'll wake up screaming tonight, I'm sure.

8. Richard

ive studied the v-string carefuly...

and i cant see any metal on them. if its goning to affecter her for the rest of her life it might nean one less traffic officer to worry about. not that i would, i live in the uk.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How?

For the life of me, I can't work out how a piece of metal flying off a pair of knickers as they're being pulled on could possibly hit the wearer in the eye. Was she bent double?

10. Dunstan Vavasour
    IT Angle

Flippancy aside

Having small pieces of metal insecurely attached to elastic is negligent. However if she'd been wearing more modest underpants rather than the Devil's Drawers this wouldn't have happened.

11. Jamie
    Linux

Hell in a hand basket

Nuff said.

12. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

<title>

Where's the IT angle? You're turning into the Sun. You are all going to hell.

You're welcome.

13. Anon Koward
    Thumb Up

Sun = Hell

Well I for one shall be there in Hell to greet you all with some hot and spicy Bloody Mary's.

14. Neil

IT Crowd

Did anyone else think of the overheating Abracada-bra when they read this?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

IT Angle?

Who cares about the IT angle. We want photos and graphic descriptions and playmobile reconstructions and video and valium and cold showers.

OK I'll go back to my room now. You have checked behind the padding haven't you? That's where they hide you know.

16. Sam

IT angle

Stress failure caused by bloatware?

17. David Harper

This can only end one way

Manufacturers of thongs will now be forced to print a warning on the outside of the packet, just as take-away coffee cups carry a warning that "this beverage is hot, so don't dump it on your crotch!" for the benefit of customers whose IQ is less than their shoe size.

18. Tim Roberts
    Paris Hilton

I wonder ...

if Paris has a V-string. She obviously has a "V" - half the world has seen it.

19. Les Matthew
    Thumb Up

@And the IT angle?

"There is no IT angle. Yes, we're turning into the Sun. Yes, we'll all go to hell in a v-string. Thank you."

There you go, corrected for you.

20. Elmer Phud
    Go

thongs ain't wot they used to be

I thought thongs were fairly small bits of apparel and don't have much room for spangly decoration -- unless, that is, the purchaser is of generous proportions in which case they may well have been plenty of room. But that itself invokes a mental image I will have trouble getting rid of* - a large traffic warden fixing a ticket to a car and displaying acres of builder's cleavage and thong strings.

*some would pay for an image like that, I'd pay to get rid of it.

21. JP Sistenich
    Paris Hilton

Just one question...

How, erm, "large" was the lady in question?

As in, was the V-string being forced into more of a T-string when the accident occurred?

Paris, because...

22. Redbullguzzler
    Paris Hilton

Generalisation!

A Victoria Secret spokesman commented on the case.

“We at Victoria Secret strive to offer quality products at fair prices. To this extent, our generalised slogan also reflects in the products we produce. We develop and produce underwear for the general female demographic. Unfortunately Mrs Paterson weighing in at 46 stones and having an arse larger than a rhino’s does not fit into this category. We do sympathise with Mrs Paterson and her “difficulties” and as a matter of courtesy we have sent her seven silk bed sheets modified to knickers and provided her partner with a 14” extender.”

Paris because only her body type should wear v-type of underwear.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

One in the eye for you

How the hell was she hit in the eye? My understanding of underwear is that they go on the lower body and nowhere near your own head. I am betting on misuse of them to fashion some sort of sexy catapult...

24. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

An IT Angle

She could have bought her knickers on-line?

Mines the one with y-fronts hanging out of the pocket.

25. Kenny Millar
    Jobs Halo

Is a V-string better than .....

A Mac Book Air?

26. David Pollard

Yes, we're turning into the Sun.

Then register a candidate in that convenient by-election, standing on a platform of commitment to sort out NHS IT systems.

IT icon because there isn't a 'Your country needs you' one.

27. RickyTheRiot
    Alert

52yo in a V-String?

Peek-a-boo or not, thankfully my breakfast was eaten and digested before my someone over active imagination kicked in!

28. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

ewwwwwwww

52 yr old getting into one of victoria secrets V strings...

It's lunch time... People are eating.

Paris because only people of her age group should be wearing that kind of underwear.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

The important question

The important question though, surely, is wtf is a 52 year old doing trying to put on something intended to be 'sexy'??? She's likely to dislocate a hip doing something like that!

Penguin, because the thought is sooo not hot that it's icy-cold.

30. Shane Lusby
    Coat

Blind guess

Utterly blind guess here, but if the garmet was even a single size to small for her I'd think Victoria Secret will have a simple enough defense.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Probably trying to fit...

.... a size 20 arse into size 8 pants. It happens a lot. Particularly in the US

Vomiting avian because it reminds me of a particularly stomach-churning Florida experience in 1992

32. adnim

roflmao

Ah, V-String = open crotch panties.

/me stifles school boy like snigger.

"Her lawyer, Jason Buccat, said that the injury caused by the flying v-string will affect his client for "the rest of her life"." I take it she is blind in one eye now then, and not exaggerating in the hope of a big payout.

Perhaps Victoria's Secret will be instructed to stitch a warning label and disclaimer along the lines of, "VS will not be held liable for any actions which my cause more than your partner to catch an eyeful" on future panties.

I will resist the usual stereotyping of Americans relating to their size and the over stretching of flimsy garments.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

And the point of those is .....

Good grief, whats the point of those? Better off surely not to bother at all.

True geek girls know the benefits of something more substantial, and geek boys boys similarly like to find something that you can properly get your teeth into. Or is it just me with a repressed childhood, and fantasies of catching a glimse of a flash of a pair of navy's ......

Mines the one with the pair of Bridgets in the pocket.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

need a closer look

at these V strings, maybe one of the reg girls could model one?

35. Martin Maloney
    Dead Vulture

A zebra is the largest size

If the malfunctioning undergarment had been a brassiere, would the resulting brouhaha have been a tempest in a T-cup?

"Hanging is too good for a man who makes puns; he should be drawn and quoted."

- Fred Allen

36. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

No IT angle?

And I was thinking a v-string sounded just like it came from a coder's mouth.

Coat's on and I'm fleeing out the door.

37. Matt

I feel sorry

for whichever doctor she called!

38. P.Nutt
    Paris Hilton

Lemmie get this straight

Ok, Let's get this straight -- she in her 50's trying on a thong? As they say, "too much information!". Not only does she show extremely poor taste for even attempting to wear a thong she is also an incompetent in that she can't even put on underwear with out hurting herself. But maybe she was confused -- after all, she was hit in the eye -- and was trying to put it on over her head?

Paris as she would know how to use the v-string

39. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Safety First

I remember in shop, our instructor always insist on eye protection. I know why now.

Honey, Get Ready! I'll be up in a minute, just getting my goggles....

40. Law
    IT Angle

The IT angle

How else will I get the network admin's to work if their big red flashing time-waster light doesn't go off once in a while by clicking on lingerie links on el reg!! :)

41. Brian
    Paris Hilton

Craig Ferguson

The V String was just defending itself.

42. TrishaD

@AC

''How the hell was she hit in the eye? My understanding of underwear is that they go on the lower body and nowhere near your own head. ''

You are assuming that it was the lady in question who was actually wearing them.....

There's more than one way of spicing up the lovelife of middleaged couples....

Allegedly

43. Les Matthew
    Thumb Up

@RickyTheRiot

"52yo in a V-String?"

Oi! Some of us like younger women. :P :D

44. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

The Reg is going to Hell!!!

The Victoria Secrets search tool has blown a fuse! You've killed Victoria Secrets! Millions of PFCs around the World are cursing you, El Reg, your descent to the Bottomless Pit is guaranteed!

45. Fluffykins Silver badge

V-String?

Fanbelt

46. Andy
    Paris Hilton

Fat Americans

Am I the only one who finds it deeply suspicious that she was a member of the world's most obese nation.

My mind is reeling from shock from picturing one of their porkers struggling to wear a thong that was designed for a more "european" build.

Of course Americans have a famous lack of common sense and require warning labels on absolutely everything (like "Careful this hot coffee is hot and will burn you if you pour it on your lap so try not to do that").

Trying to wear a thong that is several sizes too small and pulling it so hard that your gut is straining up against it with enough force to fire metal into your eye is not something I can imagine anybody outside of America attempting to do.

Thongs in America should carry warnings signs like:

"If you cannot touch your toes then under no circumstances wear this thong. If you cannot see your toes then you should not go out in public. If you bend over to try and touch your toes make sure that you have proper medical supervision. This thong not for sale or use in America."

Paris because she has the good sense to avoid the danger of thongs and never wears them.

47. Peter Gold badge
    Coat

OK, inquiring minds want to know ..

.. which eye is she talking about?

The dodgy mac, thanks..

48. Les Matthew
    Thumb Up

video of the offending items here

http://ktla.trb.com/news/ktla-video-thong,0,544693.htmlstory

Yep, I'm so sad I googled for it.

49. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

NSFW - Oh nooooo!!

The link to Victoria's Secret was down so I googled "vstring" - it came up with this site.

http://www.rosesturn.net/vstring.html

I am now feeling a little unwell (and the little unwell like's it!!)

Mine's the dirty one with the holes in the pockets (anonymous for obvious reasons!)

50. gizmo

@Andy

I am from Florida (yes Andy Florida is in the US). I see a LOT of extremely huge and fat Europeans every year. Not sure exactly where you get your information, but you'll have to trust me on this one.

Or I will send you pics.... ;)

I assume you are trying to be funny, but just missed the mark with this. Better luck next time.

51. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@gizmo

Bah its just media Hype. Americans are just now starting to catch up to those fat brits.

52. RKP
    Go

Not so fat

Just watched the video that Les found, and she ain't so fat. I am still, like others, curious as to how a wardrobe malfunction of this type can get her in the eye?

53. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@AC. RE: NSFW - Oh nooooo!!

Ew ew ew ewwwwwwwwww!!!

How I wish I had been blinded by a flying thong now too...

54. Big Pete
    Coat

As an Aussie

I can't see how you could wear thongs like those on your feet, you'd trip over.

Better to go with a pair of these http://www.souvenirsaustralia.com/category102_1.htm

it's the one with the rubber footwear in the pocket.

55. Peter Holgate
    Stop

Bad Attitudes

Most of you must be under 25 to send in the types of comments that you have done;

Women in their 50's can be sexy.

I am english, live in england and there are more FAT, UGLY women in england than in America - i lived there for 10 years!

I'm not condoning this stupid woman suing, or defending her in anyway - i hate traffic wardens as much as the next person,

56. Glenn Charles
    IT Angle

just so you know...

that's pronounced "sexy little thang"...

--Glenn

57. Solomon Grundy

Interview with the "Victim"

Here's an interview with the woman who was injured by the thong: http://www.drunkenstepfather.com/index.php/2008/06/19/interview-with-a-girl-who-is-suing-victoria-secret-for-a-dangerous-thong-of-the-day/

As you can see, she should not be wearing a thong. This incident is entirely her fault - sort of like swallowing broken glass and not expecting it to cut up your gut.

58. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@Andy - "World's Most Obese Nation"

The difference between an American woman and a Brit is that the Limey lass is 33% bigger and several shades paler...

59. Solomon Grundy
    Thumb Up

@"World's Most Obese Nation"

The difference between an American woman and a Brit is that the Limey lass is 33% bigger and several shades paler...

Plus the Limey chick has bad teeth.

60. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ac

You left out 10 times hotter and the American women actually owns a tooth brush. Dental Hygiene is not a four letter word

61. Tim
    Stop

I blame victoria's secret..

... they shouldn't make these to fit large women. Its offensive. I'm an obese bloke and I wear shorts that fit. Why would anyone want a bit of string riding up their ass anyway?

62. Mark

... which eye is she talking about?

The jap eye.

63. tony trolle
    Happy

a few 50+

there are some very nice 50+ women in the states some natual some plastic. Where the 'El reg photographer.

64. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

please don't wear that thong, that thong tha thong thong thong

She was struggling to get her 3 sizes too small underwear on and stumbled.

She began to look at her Primark undies and thought hmm, here is a chance to fake an accident and sue! But wait! I need to go for a bigger company with a reputation to protect- who cares if it makes me look stupid and creepy! (sexy granny?)

Thus, her target switched to Victoria's Secret. Had to go and buy some then..

Woah! What luck! Even better that this pair have a piece of metal on them!!

Seriously, this is like the guy suing McDonalds for spilling hot coffee on himself.

I hope this gets threw out, and the woman is shamed. (more)

For one thing, paying to treat a scratched eyeball is usually not necessary (i bet she was faking/exaggerating) and if it is, it's not expensive.

If she gets compensation I hope it only enough to cover her freakin eye drops /steroids.

Things get wear and tear. Why should a random company be reponsible for freak accidents that you cause yourself, or the fact someone's eyeball is somehow next to their underwear as they put them on? Presumably she was thrashing them around some for the thing to go flying off, and on top of all that it's her fault that her reflexes are so bad that she didn't close her eyelid before she was hit square in the cornea.?

65. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@ ac who @ac-ed @ 21:08

I think you meant to say that America has more plastic surgeons, (approx 40 million times more than the UK) and a weird obsession with bleach.

In fact....are you using the wrong bleach on your teeth?

Because... you aware that bleaching teeth is not like using bleach in the bathroom? It does not clean them.

Toothbrushes and toothpaste clean teeth, and their natural coloUr is not bright luminous white.

If you brushed your teeth 5 times a day but didn't bleach them, did you know that they will soon 'turn British'

OMG! Yes it's true. How can this be? Well, if your ego allows, perhaps you can experiment by not bleaching your teeth for a while. You will gain some knowledge about the human body, most importantly about what good hygiene can and cannot do.

This topic is closed for new posts.