back to article Snakes on a backplane: Server-room cabling horrors

The internet is not something you can just dump something on. It’s not a big truck. Nor is it a series of tubes. It’s an unimaginably large collection of computers connected by cables and radio waves. The more computers you have, the more cables you need. And that’s a problem. We’re now moving into the era of software-defined …

1. XVar

There's an entire subreddit dedicated to such atrocities

http://www.reddit.com/r/cablefail

2. Duncan Macdonald
    FAIL

Underfloor can be much worse!!!

Where I used to work there was a computer room that had been in use for over 20 years holding different mainframes with their peripherals. When the room was finally emptied the cables were over 2 feet thick in the underfloor void. (Whenever a new bit of kit was installed, its cables went over the previous cables and whenever a bit of kit was removed its cables were buried under so many live cables that they could not be removed.)

1. Harry the Bastard

Re: Underfloor can be much worse!!!

i remember one like this

there was so much cable we couldn't get the floor tiles to lay flat, didn't stop us adding more though

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Sounds like Telehouse.. The floors wouldn't lay flat, so the walls started closing in..

And for IBM cabling.. Channel Cables. Cable diameter must've been getting on for 2" thick and brick sized connectors on the end. The cable pulling ferrets went on strike when they saw those.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Ahhhhh the memories of Channel Cables.

I used to look after a tiny MicroVax that was used to connect two mainframes (IBM and Amdhal) together using a channel interconnect.

One day I found the microVax sitting in the middle of the floor. Well, not exactly on the floor. The channel cables had been moved a bit to install some more Storage drives and the unit was actually off the floor. The two channel cables and the power cable was clearly visible underneath the Vax.

Oh the memories.

1. Sleepless

Christ!! But this is making me feel my age.

First job, at Melb. Uni, Australia. (This was a quarter of a century ago ( :-( ).

At first I didn't appreciate that there was a step into the 'Tape Room', which led into the computer room (a room well over 50m x 50m) which housed maybe 10 Vax 1170's (?) with the requisite monolithic tape drives, washing machine-sized disk drives and a couple of PDP 11's with their paper tape readers.

When working the evening shift, the engineer showed me what was under the floating floor. Channel cables and power cables.

Some of the work I did was to sell Macintosh computers. Not Apple computers, Macintosh computers that just happened to be made by Apple Computers Pty. Ltd.

The thickness of some of the cable runs beneath the floating floor, were about the size of one of the Mac Plus or SE 20s that I was selling.

Bloody Hell!!

2. okcomputer44

Tell me about it! :) Having some lovely experience on first floor in Telehouse.

Not to mention the dirt at every inch, if you install anything, then next thing to go to bathroom and get cleaned up otherwise you would look like a pig. ;)

1. punk4evr

Ah, reminds me of when working as a Printer Repair Tech, and the company required White Shirt and Tie.... With no clothing allowance!... I can't recall how long I worked for them, I think it was few days, or until my white shirts ran out anyway.

2. Captain DaFt

And don't forget that Underfloor bends the rules of reality!

There's the old rule that if a cable has one end, it must have another... but I've seen a run where that was only a suggestion.

(Most of a day spent tracking a cable, only to arrive at the end I started on... Twice! After another guy had similar luck, the boss said, "fukkit! Just run a new cable.")

3. Stoneshop

The site that I was the resident engineer for had, through some design error, a raised floor that was about 80cm (5.7 linguini) high. One could quite easily crawl from one end of the room to the other, and pop up a tile to get out again. It did have the historical cable strata, but these weren't much of an obstacle in that respect.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

At my first "real" job I didn't have access to the mainframe room, but our PC testing lab next door had same underfloor cabling (and amazing cooling). There was always a bit of an odd odor from one corner that wasn't used much. One day we pulled up a tile there to add a new server rack, and found a programmer who we thought had abandoned his job two years before!

4. et0hman

And when we moved out of the building and sold the remainder of the contents, the "dumping crew" made out like a bandit at the recycle bins. There was 5 dump truck loads of copper and silver cables that they sold. We paid them to get rid of the cables, they got paid to recycle them.

Thinking about it... I'm in the wrong business.

5. jcitron

I worked in a place like that. We had rats and mice under our floor and we could hear them running around during the 2nd shift!

When we moved to a new facility, we left behind a 2 foot layer of wires, cables, and assorted hardware including those thin-net wires and terminators.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I know one data centre, in Kenya

Where real, actual poisonous snakes can be a problem.

Anon, to protect my customer (a good policer of snakes, in a rough environment).

4. maffski

'The more computers you have, the more cables you need'

To you sir, I say this; 10base2.

More cables doesn't sound so bad now does it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: 'The more computers you have, the more cables you need'

> 'The more computers you have, the more cables you need'

> To you sir, I say this; 10base2.

> More cables doesn't sound so bad now does it.

But think of all the collisions - you'd never get any data to go anywhere? No, Token Ring - much better!

;-)

1. TeeCee Gold badge

And IBM Type 1 was real man's cable, unlike this weedy UTP stuff.

1. Stevie

IBM Type 1???? Pah!

Univac Block Multiplexer cable was a *real* man's cable and still is.

IBM. Pfft!

2. Stoneshop

And IBM Type 1 was real man's cable, unlike this weedy UTP stuff.

I'll see your Type 1 and raise you a DEC Massbus.

(insert cobwebs.ico, for more reasons than one)

2. monsted

I was cleaning up after a mid 80s Intergraph server, following the AUI cables (eew) to a AUI hub (eeeeeew), then from there under the floor until i found a vampire tap on a 10base-5 cable (no no no, run away!). I pulled the AUI plug and put the floor tile back, pretending i hadn't seen that.

1. Mark 85

There are times when discretion is the better part of valor (or valour). This would be one of them.

2. Stoneshop
        Windows

until i found a vampire tap on a 10base-5 cable (no no no, run away!)

Perfectly sensible (the setup as well as running away).

Now, when you see a vampire tap on a 10base2 run ... No, this was not an AUI transceiver with a BNC connector instead of the vampire tap assembly like you could get from Cabletron and such. This was a small length of RG8/U (not even the prescribed 2.5 meters) with N connectors plus N-to-BNC adapters in the middle of an 10b2 string..

3. BigFire

Vampire tap? Boy haven't heard that in a LOOOONG time.

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

I see your 10base2 and raise you 10base5 plus vampire taps.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

10base5

Ah that brings back memories...

I looked after a company that had a handful of servers connected via thick ethernet arranged next to each other on some dexion shelves. Can't remember much about the servers other than some were used for storing messages for the company's three telex lines (who remembers telex?). The precise distance between taps was achieved by coiling up the cables. The cables weren't at all 'bendy' either which made infrastructure changes very difficult. AAAhhh the youth of today never had it so good... he said waving his zimmer frame in the air.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Worst cabling mess I've ever seen ...

was actually not LAN (yes, LAN was terrible, but a minor problem in this case).

No, it was the bloody SAN FC fibers flying like bloody Christmas decorum all over the DC space !

SAN ! Attached fibers going in everywhere at mid distance betwenn floor and ceiling, attached as a temporary solution, to any pipe, power bar or any mounting, rack etc ...

Reason was my predecessor had rushed under massive mgmt pressure the moving of the DC before any fiber end points were ready.

It was a real joke to move to proper cabling, after this. Some fibers were so damaged it was a wonder the SAN was at all working.

1. monsted

Re: Worst cabling mess I've ever seen ...

Not surprisingly, many of the SAN vendors like to sell you everything you need for it. On one solution i worked with, i received two *PALLETS* of fibre cables from HP. Every single one the wrong spec (OM3, we used OM4), stupid length (nothing but 15 meter cables, the setup would only span about six racks in a row) and enough of them to fill every port of the switches despite the setup only needing half of them. I told them to jump in a lake and they did get picked up, but i have no idea if the project got credited for the returned cables.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Ah, once again, the words "HP" and "pallet" in the same sentence on The Register

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/29/aboxalypse_now/

6. Ashton Black

Co-inky dink.

I'm doing a small DC uplift at the moment (just 60 racks). Replacing under-floor cable non-management with lurvly new in rack structured cabling (fibre and copper). Makes a massive difference. New server goes in? Just patch to the sides of the rack, rather than running new cables under the floor.

Once it's all migrated to the new racks, we can rip out all the old crap and there is tonnes of it. I would take pics, but it's a bit of a no-no.

7. Lee D Silver badge

In my current workplace, within the first year, I found:

An entire office ran from underfloor Ethernet modules, which cabled back to a 8-port switch, which was hidden in the radiator covering, powered by a hidden plug under the floor, cabled 124m around the building to a proper switch cabinet 10 meters away.

A main server-room rack cabled in, out, behind, through, between, over and around itself such that it was impossible to insert anything else into the rack (literally could not push thing in because of the criss-crossing cables half-way back), with patch and external cables literally terminated to the inch to get them into their patch panel and no more, with fibres dragging out of the bottom of the rack cabinet and on the floor such that when we went to pull the rack forward to work on it - on the night we decided to recable the entire thing - we very nearly sliced right through 18 fibres connecting the server-room to the rest of the building by trundling over them with the rack they were housed in.

That's not counting the mysterious four-feet gap in patched cables that our access control guys found. Literally, in the middle of the main building, through a huge piece of cable ducting with 100+ cables going through it, a bunch of unlabelled cables had been deliberately sliced IN THE MIDDLE and pulled apart. The other ends, no idea which they are - they're probably still patched in "just in case" somewhere. Why you'd do that, in the middle of the cable run, rather than at one end I have no idea.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

pingers

"The other ends, no idea which they are - they're probably still patched in "just in case" somewhere"

Telcos have faced this problem for decades, which is why pingers and tone tracers were invented.

I get a bit anal about cabling, probably due to my telco training, but it means that the cables _stay_ traceable and every end is documented.

8. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

If you think that is bad....

...you don't remember the bad-old days of RS232, co-ax and twin-ax terminal cables.

I wish I had taken a picture of it, but when an IBM building was decommissioned and we left it in the early '90s, I had a chance to look around as I had a access to help move the kit I was responsible for.

I found the comms room that contained the 3270 comms controllers for about half of the desks in the building. I kid you not, the 3174s, which were supposed to be floor standing devices, were on shelves stacked three high, with about 2 feet deep of co-ax cable cascading from them to the ground, and then to the patch panels and on to the risers to be distributed around the building. It was far, far worse than the pictures in the article.

Like another poster said, the reason for the cables, some of which were clearly not plugged in, was that they were so laced into the mish-mash that they could not be removed without risking breaking some of them, so they just left them there.

Good cable management is possible, and in the long run will save both time and money. It's a shame that most projects do not have ongoing supportability as one of their deliverables.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Alert

Re: If you think that is bad....

There is one thing worse than a rat's nest of Twinax to tidy up.

A rat's nest of Twinax that's had two boxes of laser printer toner emptied over it.....

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

.you don't remember the bad-old days of RS232,

I once had to pull in many metres of 50-way cable, to connect an old LPxx parallel printer. We couldn't use a ready-made cable, the plug wouldn't go through the trunking, so had to go for the homebrew approach. Then I soldered on the 50-way D-type plug (those things are right b*stards to work on). That's when I realised I'd not fed the screening cover into the cable first. After some mild headsmacking and choice language I decided that the stresses on the uncapped wires would eventually cause problems, so I unsoldered the plug and started all over again. I have to admit, I've only done it once, call it a"learning experience".

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You guys in your nice cosy data centres have absolutely NO idea. I've looked at some of the pics on here, and, thought, "hey thats not actually too bad". I work on a research ship. And I've worked on quite a few during my time. During refits (two months or so) on one of my old ships things would be so bad that ALL wiring would be ripped out and re-installed. There is so much wiring on my current ship that that is simply impossible. External contractors were called in last year to do a partial rewire. Unfortunately some were clueless and (even when told not to) did things like connecting two serial receive ports together, connecting RS422 NMEA feeds to RS232 ports without line converters and using network cables to go between two RS232 devices which both use RJ45 sockets, without checking how each device used the pins on the RJ45 (differently, of course). So, needless to say we had to spend a significant amount of time making things work after they left.

The "bad-old days of RS232", errr... thats today. Don't believe me? Then how come companies like Moxa are doing a roaring trade in RS232/RS422(we use that too)/RS485(not so much of that) device servers. On ships its used for pushing NMEA nav, attitude and data from various sensors around the place. You can push some of it over the network using UDP, but quite a lot of it want to start or end on serial lines.

Apart from the serial lines there are of course lots of network cables, fibres carrying network, video, ROV telemetry etc, CO-AX carrying video (such as HD-SDI), RF from the GPS/GLONASS/C-NAV receivers and 1PPS timing signals to some of the sonar kit. Mixed in with co-ax are high voltage DC lines carrying power and telemetry to/from equipment in the water beneath the ship.

The main problem with research ships is that things can change radically from month to month as mission needs change and you may simply not have the time to sort out things in the way you would want to.

AC because... isn't it obvious?

1. punk4evr

Pardon my ignorance, However, to the best my memory allows me to recall, wasn't rs232 and the such very poor choices for the fact that the voltage drop over longer runs caused it to drop the data and fail? Or were/are they using something other than low voltage serial data over those lines? Low voltage in it self, inherently tethered to short cable runs do to wire resistance and voltage loss?

1. jcitron

RS232 cables tend to be short due to that and signal noise. It's weird though I can still remember some of the pin-outs though. 2-Send, 3-Recieve, 7-Ground, 21-DTR!

On the older video terminals, the RS-232 lines were driven by +12V and -12V circuits, however, these were isolated using MC212 opto-isolators, and I think the voltage dropped down to 3.3V. It's been awhile since I've done this.... like 30-plus years now. It's funny how things change, but are still the same today,

4. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Good cable management is possible, and in the long run will save both time and money.

My first major project was to rewire our campus network. I started in the server room/main wiring closet by removing all of the stuff that was... stuffed under the raised floor. I hauled out boxes and boxes of unused equipment and cabling, including a few spools of fiber. Once that room was finished, I moved on to the other wiring closets on campus. When I was done, the only patch cables in the various wiring closets would only reach as far as the distance between a switch and its associated patch panel. Non più di spaghetti! I left the company but came back to visit friends still working there a couple years later. My setup was still in place. It was a thing of beauty. It would have taken special effort to screw it up.

Fast forward to a new job with a different company. I helped set up the facility and had everything labeled from end to end - media converters, cables, ports, everything. Over time, my boss, who thought he was technically clueful, made changes to the layout without updating documentation or labels. Things would die and he would play old-time switchboard operator until the person complaining stopped doing so and would leave the fallout from all the other things he broke for his team to deal with. He truly made that special effort. I refused to clean up his messes and found a job elsewhere.

In the first case, getting the network in working condition and keeping it that way was the priority. In the second, management had no grasp of the importance of the organization required to do so or that it was even desirable to keep things in good order. It is well worth educating leadership on the value of keeping your network in good physical shape. If they won't listen, try to get more money for having to deal with the headache involved, preferably coincidental with finding somewhere else to work without the headache.

1. punk4evr

Well, when you are the one playing admin for all the windows and unix servers, and tech support, and application support database support along with being responsible for the wiring and cabling and tasked with install new servers for some database, that who only knows decided they had to have... Budge that into your perfect cabling layout with no extra help. Have fun! And how long are your workdays?

9. Captain Scarlet

The poor geek you send to

"The poor geek you send to figure out why the server has dropped off the network risks tripping over something"

Haven't tripped over anything but in my youth I have got stuck behind a comms cabinet when I tried to get round the back in a tiny room.

10. KroSha

I had to get inside a comms cabinet once. The cables were everywhere; front, top, sides and even through the middle. I had to wriggle underneath the port panels and in behind to detangle some leads. Unfortunately, there was a 4-way on the floor (hidden under more cables) and I stepped on it, killing power to all the switches in the room.

11. Spaceman Spiff

Days gone by...

Ah, for the days of Cat-5 when all systems were linked with a single co-axial cable!

1. swansonc

Re: Days gone by...

I believe you meant 10Base-2, rather than cat-5...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ahah!

So it IS a series of tubes!

13. ecofeco Silver badge

Network admins?

But I thought the CEO of CISCO said we won't need network/system admins any more? I guess I missed his solution for self cabling networks.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Network admins?

Rack Monkey != Network Admin

1. Orv Silver badge

Re: Network admins?

Maybe in the jobs you worked. ;)

I've had enough problems explaining that I'm not a copier technician, at some of mine.

14. phil dude
    Joke

next....

can we have the fluffy machines back...

P.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You know when it's a real mess...

... when you take a power saw to the rack in order to re-cable it.

16. Anonymous Blowhard

Which do you trust more, software or cables?

"software-defined networking, which has the potential to help us deal with these nightmares"

And it will deal with the nightmare of cable by replacing some of it with software? I've never had a cable replace itself with an updated version of itself that didn't work the same way, so colour me sceptical...

17. JaitcH
    Happy

Having worked, in my yoof, in cable rack rooms ...

I know from first hand experience that tidy, well organised, wire racks and cable channels are the key to high reliability and long life.

It's why POTS/Telcos have always invested in wire rooms - recently reduced in importance by programmable switches (exchanges).

Heavy use of identification tags and Identity Ink Rollers (for marking the length of the cable) PLUS very good documentation is hard to beat.

Multiple cables provide redundancy and security.

1. punk4evr

Re: Having worked, in my yoof, in cable rack rooms ...

And ONLY in your youth, probably, did they bother to afford to pay enough people to do separate jobs, that one had the luxury of doing the cabling "right". Most jobs I have ever worked, I was performing as 2 separate network admins, along with being tech support, and expected to manage wiring and installations. Of course, only paid as a single person as well. The days were nice, when we could all wear only ONE hat, and focus on a single job and do it right. Now, they expect you to do the jobs of 4 people, pay you under the amount of a single one, and a 6 day work work is not optional!.. If this isn't your business, please tell me where, so I can come work there!

2. jcitron

Re: Having worked, in my yoof, in cable rack rooms ...

Yes, indeed!

My computer room was built out that way and kept that way. There is no excuse for a pile of spaghetti which can get tangled and possibly ripped if a piece of equipment is moved.

All my cables ran from wherever to terminators. All the switches and the servers were connected to the terminators via short length cables. The setup was neatly done and all points were charted and marked. The job was done right the first time and we had no broken lines anywhere in the building.

18. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Unhappy

Pah, lightweights

on a visit last year to the RAF Museum at Cosford, I saw a Nimrod parked outside awaiting preparation for exhibition.

Because it had been carried by road, they had folded the wings up, so you could see the avionics wiring. There were several bundles of what looked like *hundreds of wires) which passed into the wing from the fuselage.

All white (certainly from a distance).

All cut.

It broke my heart ... clearly a reminder that plane will never fly again -->

As an aside it was a hell of a sobering thought (as I mentioned to the Mrs) that someone, somewhere, once knew what every wire did.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pah, lightweights

I just shed a tear.

Don't ever post pictures of that.

2. imanidiot Silver badge

Not impossible to get it flying again. Just HIGHLY unlikely

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"As an aside it was a hell of a sobering thought (as I mentioned to the Mrs) that someone, somewhere, once knew what every wire did."

Probably my dad. He also did wiring runs at a number of the US/NATO early warning radar stations in various locations around the world when they were building the "ring of steel" around the USSR. Some of the stories he told me.... :-)

4. Orv Silver badge

That's also pretty common practice in industrial control wiring -- they nearly always use all white wire. Identification is done by always labeling both ends of every wire. It's a reasonable scheme since generally wires aren't going to be shuffled around during the lifespan of an installation.

Aircraft also have the advantage of being *thoroughly* documented, in most cases.

19. Bill M

Once saw a rack that had fallen over face first due to the weight of the rat's nest protruding too far out from the front of it. I think the rat's nest cushioned the fall as everything was still working.

20. Smitty Werben Jueger Man Jenson
    FAIL

As long as there is one cable in the universe...

There will be bad cabling.

http://imgur.com/RMDT1f0

This was done by a helpdesk drone and yes we had a packet storm.

1. John 104

Re: As long as there is one cable in the universe...

@SmittyWerb blah blah

Great pic.

Oh, and shame on your network team for not disabling unused ports... :)

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Shame on the network team for not locking switches away in a cabinet with 'BEWARE OF THE SHARK' signs on it. Helps avoid those fault escalations caused by 'helpful' users trying to fix their problems by swapping some cables around. Especially now Ethernet's escaped from the WAN and spanning tree problems can go global in a hurry if you're not careful.

Oh, and the before and after pics in the original article. I'm guessing that site wasn't planning on needing fibre. Fibre from the top, copper from the bottom..

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Especially now Ethernet's escaped from the WAN and spanning tree problems can go global in a hurry if you're not careful."

"The answer my friend, is blowing in the TRILL

and your router will soon be in the bin"

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-trill-irb-03

Seriously, routers end up being a major bottleneck and this development solves that plus a big mess of wiring.

TRILL itself was designed with widescale deployments in mind, specifically _because_ of spanning trees storms and convergence issues. Spanning tree was never envisaged as being more than 8 hops wide.

The other good thing about TRILL is that you don't have to faff about with LACP. As with fibre channel networks, when you add more links between switches, they "just work" (bear in mind that every LACP disturbance == a spanning tree rebuild, even if the LACP is to an edge device.)

If you can wean yourself off Cisco, there are a bunch of devices out there from other makers all based on the Broadcom Trident2 chipset and all selling for about 1/3 of cisco's prices (and I don't mean their "list" prices) for 64*10GB/s(*). The big hassle at the moment is that they tend to be "all SFP" or "all copper", which doesn't suit campus distribution well. Terbabit L3 forwarding rates aren't to be sneezed at.

(*) usually 48*10Gb + 4*40Gb, but there are QSFP-only versions and a few 100Gb/s versions too. Higher speeds allows rack switches == less cable == less mess - and that keeps us on topic :)

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"This was done by a helpdesk drone and yes we had a packet storm."

Or in other words you were so cheap you used dumb switches without loopback protection?

Wrt the other comment: We're in the process of livening up most of the unused ports, because once you have 802.1x going, nothing happens unless the device on the end is authenticated and it means less hassle overall (extra switchports and running jumpers _once_ as capex cost less than extra manhours playing musical ethernets as people shufti around the buildings.). Besides, there's always the interface "shutdown" command.

21. Andy Taylor

Wading through cables

When I joined a large charity some 13 years ago, the server room patch panels had cables that spilled out all over the floor. When I finally managed to get someone in to tidy it up and replace the network switches - a weekend job, they decided to start on Thursday morning identifying each cable. Friday lunchtime came and went, at which point the cutting began.

In my current job, I am slowly replacing the mess with lovely 20cm cables to join switch to panel. My cabinets are as neat as I can make them.

22. Mark York 3 Silver badge
    Alert

Pictures from Rural Alberta on their way.

I didn't include the ones from the Doctors surgery that had a twice daily seepage under the wall from a filling station of "grey" water, nor the raw sewage in the back room, which I wasn't privy (sorry) to at the time due to dealing with the installs at the front.

I now work supporting users in a slaughterhouse which ironically has:

A: A much better standard of cable management.

B: A much better work enviroment atmosphere than some places I won't mention.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Pictures from Rural Alberta on their way.

There's a reason I don't fix kit out in the sticks anymore. This province is from the ****ing stone ages.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Manchester Uni

http://www.gamecommunity.co.uk/unimess/1427835037.jpg

http://www.gamecommunity.co.uk/unimess/1427835068.jpg

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately I was never allowed to take pictures, but imagine this:

Beige cabinet, 4 feet tall, 2 feet deep, 6 feet wide, open ended, and on top of a raised floor.

Now, put 6 of those cabinets together to make a 36 foot long super cabinet.

Now, imagine it STUFFED full of fiber optic cables, so much so that you could barely close the doors (actually 2 of the doors wouldn't close, they used a patch cord to loop to keep it as closed as they could), you couldn't see the back of inside of the cabinet, all of them so tightly packed, there was no slack in any of them, with no rhyme or reason, all of them UN-labeled.

The company (a bank) went looking for some vendor to outsource cleaning up the cabinet, label, re-route, and generally make it look good. Every vendor that walked in, took one look at it (begged to take pictures, but was denied) promptly laughed and walked out. The company literally begged for quotes, all of them said "No. We're afraid even if we write down an astronomical fee, you would take the offer."

Needless to say, it was decided that it would be better to just start over and slowly abandon the fiber cabinet from hell.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sorry...

Before showing me in to their data centres, it's very common for customers to apologise for the state of them. Almost invariably this means there's an undisposed of cardboard box or two in the corner or maybe a single console cable draped between a rack and a laptop on a table. The one data centre that I did go into that you would think did deserve an apology was one the customer seemed almost proud of. That was the one where to get between the rows of racks you had to step over the foot thick bundle of Ethernet cables on the floor at the same time as ducking under the similar sized bundle dangling about 4 feet off the ground.

26. Unicornpiss
    Meh

Sadly...

Most of these pics still look better organized than the wiring closets at my current workplace.

My previous job was worse though, supporting a restaurant chain that had been in business for decades. I found among other things, a UPS plugged into itself with everything else in a power strip. (not a very good perpetual motion machine) A chicken wing with a cable embedded in it behind a computer cabinet, hanging in space. Demarks which had been added to/repaired/modded by indifferent, incompetent, and hostile phone techs over a decade or more--fun fun fun tracing any of that stuff out. A PC that had died from a mouse that was living in it peeing on the motherboard, and the piece d' resistance (in ohms) may be the electrical fire that started behind a toaster oven while I was on the premises of one of the restaurant units.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The server room test

The number of random cuts to cables before loss occurs.

The fewer the cuts, the tidier the setup.

28. martino

"Unfortunately, software-defined storage does not act as a comb for untangling knots."

In my cabling days, we used to call disentangling the Cat5 spaghetti before pulling into the rack "combing the old lady's hair"

29. Nigel 11

It's not just datacomms ...

There's a long series of "crazy cabling" pictures over at DarkRoasted Blend

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/03/disturbing-wiring-part-3.html

(parts 1-2 and 4-7 equally worth a look, all linked).

Datacomms, POTS, mains wiring, plumbing. chemicals plants ... entropy wins every time.

30. Timbo

re: ALL the above

...and you try telling that to the young people of today - they won't believe you :)

(copyright Messrs Python & Co inc)

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: re: ALL the above

I consider myself young, but I have little doubt over the veracity of these stories.

31. Speedster IT

Cabling your comms room correctly the first time !

We posted on the same subject a few years ago.. and it still goes on, the countless business we see in such a mess, love to share our imagery with you and your readers

http://www.speedster-it.com/cabling-done-correctly-first-time/

32. punk4evr

I remember one company I was working for... They Kept hounding me, to spend a weekend there to "re cable" all the network racks and routers to make them all neat...... HOWEVer. While showing me how their help desk worked, any time they had a client pc that dropped off the network or lost connection. Their "resolution" was for the help desk person to go into the patch panel, unplug their network connection from the switch, and plug it into a different port, then have them tell the end user to "reboot" their PC.... Needless to say, I never did re-cable their patch panels. And if they could not understand the reason for that, shame on them!

33. Trevor Gale

Cable and Job disaster - nearly!

One system operator nearly lost his job due to such a nightmare - by being thoughtful and diligent. Under the false floor in a particular systems room ran a plethora of RS-232, 10-base-5, r.f. telemetry coax, and proprietary disk interface (yes, disk cabinets), together with untold kilometres of used/unused old cables. An operator was on duty for that room 24/7.

Whenever this one fellow was on night duty there would often be unexplainable major disk failures that would bring one or more of the systems down. Only when HE was on duty, not when some other operator had that lovely quiet pastime with the odd beer or two. Clearly it was thought that this poor fellow was doing something he shouldn't, perhaps purposely to add some excitement to his time.

As it turned out after a long study of his work it WAS due to something he did...

One night accompanied by a colleague, nothing went wrong. Next time he was on his own, damn, down went the disk and a system again. So he was of course called in for a 'disciplinary talk' and to account for his every action during his night shifts: he explained that he was very consciencious, took everything very seriously, why, he even went around the room at intervals to make sure there were no important error indicators showing. And no, he didn't bring beer or suchlike into the room. Following night he demonstrated exactly what he would do right through a shift - under supervision. There wasn't any 'chat' with the supervisor like there had been with his colleague, and after an hour or so he went walkabout around the room to check for any error indicators - and THERE! A disk went offline and brought a system crash! All without doing anything actually "wrong". The following day all was examined around where he walked, and finally the edge of a disk interface cable was found trapped between the corner of a floor tile and its support, as soon as any pressure was applied to that tile it would short out a couple of wires within that cable, bringing the disk down. So he was eventually exhonorated, and kept his job, after spending a month or so under the threat of suspension or worse.

He was very lucky since he already had a reputation for the occasional accident, e.g. you'd avoid the corridoor if he was walking along it carrying a tray full of coffee from the machine!

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CCTV

I have seen CCTV installations at casinos that would rank with the worst of this. Nowadays it's common to use baluns and run video over twisted pair, which does a lot to de-bulk the cable, but back in the day you could easily have a bundle of sixty RG-59/U coax cables going into a rack of VCRs. RG-59/U is a "miniature" coax but sixty of them makes for a very stiff, thick bundle. Or a big mess on the floor if no one bundled them up.

That's not to mention the sixty DC power supply outputs needed to power those cameras, each of which with an unlabled fuse. Sometimes I would resort to deliberately blowing the fuse to trace power wiring.

35. jcitron

Your old data center was disgusting. I don't have any pics of mine, which I designed in 2000 when the company moved in as I'm now retired. However, I will say mine never looked like that! When we built-out the room, I worked with the cabling company and the builders to ensure the wires were neatly wrapped and bundled and all terminated properly into panels. Any connections from the switches was done via a panel and not directly to any computers. There were two exceptions to this and they were related to our PBX system.

I hate to say it, but I have a feeling your new room will look the same in a few years.

36. Baldy50

Loved reading through this topic and the links but not one mention of the wankers that installed the tray or pipework between buildings.

Tray with botched corners and cuts with no regard for the installation engineers fingers, none of the cuts were de burred in any sense of the meaning and like razor blades having been cut with an angle grinder.

5" pipe is plenty big enough for 24 cat 5 and 4 fibre cables but a bottle of silicone lubricant and the works van were needed to pull the group through.

Bloody idiots used 90 degree bends instead of two 45's a contractor informed me, I don't know what bandwidth the fibre attained but I suspect very poor.

FYI I'm neat if I have the time/budget to do the job properly!

Try re cabling hospitals, steam pipes not lagged, open drains in places and vermin so when crawling on all fours to reach an old part of the hospital was not nice at all.

Ian.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon