back to article Why Feed.Me.Pizza will never exist: Inside the world of government vetoes and the internet

The world's governments are revealing their egos and priorities by vetoing short domain names. After a row between DNS overseer ICANN and nation states, government officials have been given veto rights over two-letter domain names used with dot-word gTLDs. For example, Italy, which operates .it, doesn't want anyone buying it. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    1. BillG
      Mushroom

Re: alt dns

Bet you never knew when you were ordering a Dominos pizza that you were not getting a real pizza, did you?

EVERYONE who has ordered a Dominos pizza knew they were not getting a real pizza!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Even this article has not a real pizza in the photo...

Anyway I guess other will follow, don't know it these TLD already exists, but I could see issues with fr.wine (and it.wine as well), de.beer, uk.beer, scot.whisky, etc. etc.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sometimes I find myself wanting Domino's pizza MORE than real Italian pizza.

Anon because I'm Italian.

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

EVERYONE who has ordered a Dominos pizza knew they were not getting a real pizza!

Not true; some people ordering for the first time won't have known until the "food" in question arrived.

Nice bit of trolling by Kieren, though. I'll have that with flamebait, please.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The first time I ate Domino's, I was entirely aware it was not real pizza.

1. Cliff

Be fair...

Some poor bugger on a moped had to drive it from Rome.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. John Sanders
    Holmes

Some people

Wonder why the new TLDs are a fiasco my dear Watson... oh yes they wonder.

1. Oninoshiko

Re: Some people

I'll admit, I didn't see this one coming, although it's the first problem with the whole mess that I found at all novel.

1. Cliff

Re: Some people

I can see no reason not to register single letter domains though...

Eat.i.t.pizza for instance - it's no less shit or useless.

5. veti Silver badge

Overriding economic interests

I suspect that domain names are one of Montenegro's biggest exports.

Another country in the same happy position (at least it should be, but I think they don't exploit it as well as they could) is Tuvalu (.tv).

6. david 12 Silver badge

Architect

Architect is a protected designation in many jurisdictions.

I'm not an architect, or a lawyer, or a domain registrar. "Architect" is protected because badly or improperly designed buildings kill people.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Stop

Re: Architect

However archi.fr is not a domain run by the French government with subdomains leading to registered architects, so what is fr.archi if not a landgrab. Likewize pizza.it, abogado.es, and so on...

1. Vincent Ballard
        Coat

Actually, abogado.es just redirects to abogacia.es, the site of the Consejo General de la Abogacía Española, which is a body established by statute to represent and coordinate the various regional lawyers' guilds.

There is a sense in which the case for protecting es.abogado is stronger than for protecting abogado.es, although it's not a valid concern in the current context of protecting national brands. "Es abogado" means "Is a lawyer", so the use of fulano.es.abogado if Fulano is not a lawyer would be rather dodgy.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

If Fulano were dodgy he'd just go for fulano.abogado which Spain wouldn't have any control over and most people would type fulano.abogado in Google and go for the top hit anyway. Likewise for whiteelephant.archi and dominos.pizza.

As an aside, can anyone honestly seeing Dominos registering all the country subdomains in pizza in addition to all the country domains if they're probably going to be denied dominos.it.pizza.

The country subdomains are just a sop to national governments which can be safely ignored by anyone up to no good.

2. dvd

Totally off-topic but engineers make buildings stand up.

Architects decide what colours the bogs in the building are going to be.

7. Florida1920

Feeling il.head

Forget this silly nationalistic posturing. FFS, let's just use IP addresses. That's what bookmarks are for.

1. Allan George Dyer
      Facepalm

Re: Feeling il.head

Let's replace personal names with numbers too, 1920.

More seriously, you really want to update your bookmarks every time someone changes their ISP or hosting company?

1. Florida1920

You are number 6. No, not really, but I'd make the effort for the stuff I care about. The new TLDs aren't even out yet and already governments are getting all possessive. Let Italy register it.pizza, it.mafia or whatever else it feels it has to protect. Or just stick a flag in. Ciao, baby.

2. Cliff

As DNS is getting replaced by search engines, it's not actually a bad idea. Let's face it, Google is the AOL of the day in that your granny probably types 'hotmail' into a browser bar and doesn't know the back end difference between that and typing 'hotmail.com'

Bagsy can my number be e7:14:9a:78:ac:11 (or will the Ascension islands object to the 'ac'??)

3. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The good news I extract from this is that nobody has registered hurt.me yet - anyone ready to make a fortune from a nice short BDSM URL?

9. TheresaJayne
    Paris Hilton

of course portugal has to veto all the .pt domains,

corru.pt.gov

corru.pt.politician

corru.pt.trade

and

taylorswift.is.corru.pt

1. Vincent Ballard

corru.pt is currently available...

10. frank ly

f.uk.me

Did the United Kingdom or Montenegro or both of them object to that one?

1. David Roberts

s.uk.me

FTFY

11. Adam JC

Reminds me of my younger days...

When having a vhost for your IRC / bouncer connection meant you were always superior to your fellow IRC brethren!

12. Dan 55 Silver badge

This is a problem that shouldn't exist

This is why each country has their own domain to administer as they wish and why ICANN should be non-profit. Oh, it is. Well somebody's pocketing money or favours somewhere.

13. Nigel 11

Yawn

Are there really people out there who remember and laboriously type in domain names? If it's not in my browser history I use Google - it understands my spelling mistakes e.g. Jonlewis, as well as knowing whether it's .com or .co.uk or anything else.

I guess there are browsers out there that don't have a Google box or which default to some inferior search engine in the one and only URL box ... a good reason to download Firefox if you have one of those!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yawn

Yes, those who don't like Google knows everything about their Internet habits...

1. Swarthy
        Trollface

That's why I always type in "duck duck go" in my chrome bar; that way Google can't track me.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Because the only thing that ever has to resolve a domain name is a browser, eh?

Lordy, will September ever end? (No.)

14. jb99

DNS like a lot of the internet has been increasing hijacked by corporations and governments.

Time to reinvent and re-architect it all properly using the current internet as a simple set of point to point connections to run it over.

15. dogged

Damn you Montenegro!

There goes about 80% of the profit on my new *.sideways and *.backwards TLDs.

16. Swarthy
    Paris Hilton

Sunrise period?

Why not just let countries lay claim on their cc2LD during the sunrise period for each domain? If they want to use it or bury it, they can take it; if they don't care, they can let it go into the wild.

Who's bright idea was it to make the Internet accountable to governments anyway? Sack ICANN, put DNS under W3C or IETF (Or maybe even IEEE), and let the engineers sort it out.

17. Chris Evans

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Madness.

18. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Sshhhhh

Don't anyone tell Columbia (CO) about this, or else all those countries that already have a *.co.ccTLD second level domain for commercial sites will have to scrap their registries. And I suppose all those *.com.ccTLD nations will have to get Verisign's permission to exist.

More seriously, it's a hierarchial namespace so there shouldn't be any restrictions on someone else's second level domains. This is a point of technical correctness, so the various governments concerned can take a running jump or set up their own internet.

19. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
    WTF?

Interesting Spain is protecting the domain "es.abogado" that, as was pointed out before, means "is a lawyer" and can be used for some funny stuff... but is not protecting "es.medico", "es.arquitecto", "es.periodista", "es.BOFH"...

Are lawyers the only professionals subject of control and scrutiny from the government in Spain? I highly doubt so....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon