back to article Ofcom's to-do list: Number porting, sell spectrum, buy milk

Ofcom has set out its objectives for 2015/16, and they're broadly as outlined in the draft report. There is increased interest in consumer number portability to improve the switching providers process, clearer pricing on the previously announced spectrum auctions, as well as the hotly anticipated Strategic Review of Digital …

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

PAC Codes

How about preventing networks using the PAC code as bloody sales tool and holding you to ransom for it as means of keeping you when you have already made your mind up. That would be useful. I've spent an hour on the phone with some networks retentions team to no end because whilst I'm interested in staying they really can't offer me anything better than they do new customers. GiffGaff just give you the PAC on their site, no messing about. That's how it should be.

1. Shrimpling

Re: PAC Codes

I have never got a better offer from the retentions team than the network I was moving to so I just lie when I call for my PAC now and tell them I already have the new phone. Saves you lots of hassle getting passed between departments.

1. MrPSB

Doesn't "gaining acquirer-led" mean you'll just sign up with a new provider, tell them who your old provider is and they do the rest?

1. Shrimpling

Not sure what you mean by Gaining acquirer-led. In the UK you need to get the PAC (Porting Authorisation Code) from your old provider and give this to your new provider to transfer your phone number.

This is for security reasons and is designed to stop somebody else stealing your phone number.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

@Shrimpling - Re: PAC Codes

I suspect OFCOM are talking about behind-the-scenes paperwork between the networks. Otherwise they'll end up in the mess that the electricity & gas companies got into whereby they transferred customers with fake signatures.

Surely OFCOM wouldn't make the same mistake?

Would they?

Oh s**t, this is OFCOM. They probably would :-(

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

@1980s_coder Re: PAC Codes

[In one week] there had been four separate billing mistakes that each required 45-minute calls to customer service to resolve.

Really the mobile industry here is a disgrace.

To be fair, the mobile industry is just following the shining example set by all the other communications companies in providing a c**p billing service.

3. Martin Summers Silver badge

I suspect the thumb down I got could be because I put PAC Code in the title when of course an additional redundant 'code' is not required. I apologise profusely, please forgive me down voter.

2. phil dude
    Boffin

get voip....

and point it to your mobile. You can have multiple incoming to any number of outgoings.

I still port my numbers, but it is considerably less stress than "hoping" they will get it right.

That's the thing about travel, you can sample incompetence in new and interesting ways...

#ATTFAIL #VIRGINFAIL

P.

1. Warm Braw

Re: get voip....

>and point it to your mobile

If paying up to 9p a minute (taking the mobile calling cost of a VoIP provider at random) for the privilege of receiving a call is the price of reliability, then things are really screwed up.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like