back to article Coral Reefs: Secret Cities of the Sea exhibition – life beneath the waves

There's an undeniable fascination to coral reefs and the creatures that inhabit them, whether it's tales of shipwreck on tropical islands surrounded by a lagoon, romantic snorkelling adventures, or captivating documentaries about the Great Barrier Reef. Underwater Camer Underwater cameras have captured over 800,000 images of …

1. MisterPeter

Nice write up - I'm definitely going to visit. Bit of a funny though - you say that some of the specimens are old and lack colour. Have you considered that the only way to get new ones is to go out and, you know, kill some new ones?

1. Nigel Whitfield.

Well, yes, indeed. That is a problem. But, for example, while the big aquarium at the end is beautiful and has lots of colour in it, perhaps some smaller tanks with samples of the fish being talked about, or more colourful pictures alongside some of the samples might have helped. Even a small video screen, showing clips of those fish in the wild would be an improvement.

Obviously, you don't want them to go killing fresh ones and putting them in jars; but a pale old sample in a jar of preservative doesn't really get across the beauty of some of these things. A little something extra would perk it up no end - I can imagine some kids, for example, being singularly unimpressed at dead things in jars, whereas they might light up more at a video screen where they can see "Nemo"

That, in my view, would lift the exhibition somewhat, and could be done without spoiling the 'reveal' of the aquarium at the end of the room.

1. Sarah Balfour
        Devil

Hate to be a pedant, but…

…the plural of 'octopus' is either 'octopuses', or 'octopodes', NEVER 'octopi', it's Greek, not Latin.

I KNOW I'm fighting a war I'll NEVER win, schools don't teach classics these days. Now the vernacular has been unleashed on the Web, proper Latin and Greek pluralisation is doomed - DOOMED I tells ya!

Even iOS autocorrect accepts 'octopi' - and even 'nucleuses'.

We're DOOMED! I blame the Yanks, they've NEVER given a damn about proper pluralisation - this is assimilation by stealth!

2. Little Mouse

Genesis of the Daleks

I'd upvote you for the reference if I could. Undeniably the best foot-in-giant-clam scene on TV bar none. I remember it fondly from my youth, and it still holds up to repeat viewings even now.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Spoon feeding or research?

"there's not really much background on either, which is something of a pity. You might be left wanting to know a fair bit more."

That might be deliberate. Instead of spoon feeding every last detail, maybe they consciously decided to minimise some of the information so that those interested could go off and do their own research.

I often find museum exhibits to be too dumbed down in that they explain stuff in excruciating detail at a level aimed at children. They forget that they need to appeal to all ages. Since young children are almost certainly only ever going to show up at a museum with parents or teachers, maybe both would learn more if the adult had to explain it to the children.

1. Nigel Whitfield.

Re: Spoon feeding or research?

Well, yes, that is a point - but I think that this sort of thing can be done in different ways. For example, at the Science Museum's new gallery, which I wrote about a few months back, there are interactive displays that allow you to either look at the quick summary, or to read a bit deeper into the background. I'd like to see more of that, ideally with options for both kids and adults.

If interactive displays can't be provided, because of cost, since most of us do have a portable device when we're visiting, it wouldn't be too hard to provide short URLs or QR codes either - again, with a little work, you could have multiple ones, for different key stages, experts, and so on.

It certainly is hard to pitch information at a level that will please everyone, but it seems to me that one of the great advantages of modern technology is that you can provide alternatives, even if it's only a few links to further reading, without too much effort.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        Happy

QR Codes?

Really. They should be consigned to a Museum... oh wait...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like