back to article Dot-sucks sucks, say lawyers: ICANN urged to kill 'shakedown' now

The intellectual property constituency (IPC) of domain overseer ICANN has formally asked the organization to halt the rollout of the controversial .sucks top-level domain, due to start on Monday. In a letter [PDF] sent from the IPC to ICANN's head of the Global Domains Division, Akram Atallah, the IP lawyers complain that the …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. The Nazz

Are you sure?

According to one or two of my married friends, He.sucks is better.

2. Mage Silver badge
    Mushroom

All of it is about money

We don't need ANY of these new domains.

Or else ALL domains should be $5 a year each or $500 for 25 years.

It's a rip off generally.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

Re: All of it is about money

... you are suggesting that instead of a discount for a long term registration, we pay extra?...

Yup. It's a tax on stupidity and not being able to do maths...

2. adfh
      Facepalm

Re: All of it is about money

Heh, yeah.. it is rather rich that on one hand ICANN and all these corporates are pushing for more gTLDs, and then when one doesn't go their way, THEN the corporates claim it's a shakedown etc. :)

#amused

The whole idea that we need all these extra domains, yeah.. uh.. nah...

3. Peter X

Vacuum cleaner manufacturers

I wonder if vacuum cleaner manufacturers feel the same need to purchase such a domain? I mean, if someone else registers it, it doesn't have quite the same negative connotation.

Agree that all these "new" TLDs are way too expensive. I'd imagine they're either going to get much cheaper in a few years time... or much more expensive!

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Vacuum cleaner manufacturers

How about: nothing.sucks/like/electrolux

4. jake Silver badge

Who the hell cares about domain names? It's just an address!

Usenet certainly doesn't. c.f. alt.aol-sucks ... One wonders why "ICANN is sucks" isn't a meme (yet), and for the same reason "AOL is sucks" has been around for a couple decades or so.

Repeat after me: "The Human language name is NOT the IP address; The Human language names for the SAME IP address are NOT the IP address; The Human Language name(s) have NOTHING to do with the IP address, except in the minds of the technologically incompetent ...".

posted from my seemingly un-killable AOL account ...

1. Ben Tasker
      Joke

Re: Who the hell cares about domain names? It's just an address!

>The Human language name is NOT the IP address... snip...The Human Language name(s) have

> NOTHING to do with the IP address, except in the minds of the technologically incompetent ...

What about

seventy-two-dot-six.ty-one-dot-fourty-three-dot-eig.ht

That could also be the IP (72.61.43.8), in which case it'd also have quite a lot to do with the IP - though I suspect the technologically incompetent _would_ fail to make the association.

EDIT: Reduced label length by adding a subdomain

Sorry.... feeling ever so slightly argumentative today, does it show?

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

1211968264 is much more memorable.... until you move IP.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

That's the sort of address an idiot would have on their luggage

2. Crazy Operations Guy

I should see about registering: OneTwentySeven.Oh.Oh.One and use it as a networking industry news site...

Re: OneTwentySeven.Oh.Oh.One

Don't you mean a Local News Site?

1. jake Silver badge

@ Ken Moorhouse (was: Re: OneTwentySeven.Oh.Oh.One)

No, Ken

OneTwentySeven.Oh.Oh.One could be pointed at ANY IP address. That's what DNS does. If the .One TLD became available, ElReg (for example) could have OneTwentySeven.Oh.Oh.One open the same web page that theregister.co.uk opens.

Again, the human readable address is not the IP address.

127.0.0.1 aka localhost

@jake thank you for the tutorial. I was referring to local as in localhost

1. jake Silver badge

Re: 127.0.0.1 aka localhost

Again, Ken, the human readable address has nothing to do with the dotted quad IP address.

127.0.0.1 is not routable (usually[0]). The English equivalent is (or could be, assuming the TLD existed and BIND/DNS/magical-workaround knew about it).

[0] Occasionally I configure BSD systems to route 127.0.0.0/8 (IPv6 ::1) for software[1] testing purposes. The machines are on their own firewalled-away-from-the-world-at-large Internet, naturally.

[1] Wetware testing, actually. Human error knows no bounds ...

1. BoldMan

Re: 127.0.0.1 aka localhost

whoosh!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

The .sucks TLD might easly come to be seen generally as a toxic waste dump, full of bile and sour grapes, and no fit place for decent folks.

Or it could become a trusted resource. Not holding my breath.

5. Craig 2

Shock horror! Domain registration companies fleecing trademark holders.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

In related news, bears are catholic and the pope...

6. frank ly

I'm old enough to remember ....

.... large advertising posters that said "Nothing sucks like an Electrolux". Oh, how we quietly smiled.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: I'm old enough to remember ....

"Nothing sucks like an Electrolux"

I seem to remember the computer centre having doctored posters which said "VAX sucks harder"

7. Graham Marsden
    Facepalm

And still...

... there's nothing to stop me or anyone else registering xyzname-sucks.net or .org or .com or whatever and getting it at a sensible price, rather than a stupid one.

8. Ken Hagan Gold badge

So if ICANN have reserved all rights over their real name, it'll have to be ICONN.sucks instead.

9. keithpeter Silver badge
    Windows

"What's more, the company intends to charge ordinary consumers just $9.95 for a dot-sucks domain."

So what is stopping 'ordinary consumers' [cough marketing's bf cough] buying up the appropriate domains and just sort of not using them? Or putting a cat picture up...

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Because the ordinary consumers aren't allowed to buy yet - hence the advanced special price for trademark holders.

And 0.000001 seconds after they are, every company name on the S&P will have been bought by scammers

10. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

I reckon...

I reckon most of these new TLD's will die a speedy silent death after the initial hype has dissipated. People will just be more creative with the TLD's that we're all familiar with.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: I reckon...

"I reckon most of these new TLD's will die a speedy silent death after the initial hype has dissipated."

That's a bet I won't take. 2nd year renewals for most are already down the shitter.

11. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Dot Sucks

Expect legal action from people called Dorothy.

12. Rob 5

/.

I wonder who'll get slash.sucks - the folks at /. or the guitarist?

13. lsces

Whole process is a waste of time so don't support it

We do not need any of this crap so personally I am not going to take any of the ones I am being offered ... It's bad enough having to pay again for the .uk version of all the .co.uk domains we manage!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like