back to article Easy come, easy go: Euro astroboffins blast brace of Galileo sats INTO SPAAACE

The European Space Agency has successfully launched two new satellites into orbit as part of the Galileo project to offer EU citizens an alternative GPS system from late 2016. Late on Friday night, the brace of birds were blasted into space from Europe's Spaceport in French Guiana on top of a Soyuz rocket. The ESA's sats will …

1. Six_Degrees

"The European Space Agency has successfully launched two new satellites into orbit as part of the Galileo project to offer EU citizens an alternative GPS system from late 2016."

Um...Galileo, like GPS, is a global system. It isn't restricted to the EU, or to EU citizens.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

All are welcome

The EU citizens pay the bill for the infrastructure, so they are mentioned. The rest of the world gets a free ride I guess.

It's actually a good thing; two separate systems provide redundancy.

1. Six_Degrees

Re: All are welcome

I agree. Also, more satellites mean more accuracy overall.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

This is an EU alternative

As in, one from the EU, with extra features (both civilian and military) for people who happen to be in the EU (some are free, most are not). It's a shitload more accurate than the existing systems too.

NavStar(*), Beidou and Glonass are already operational. My Galaxy Note4 can see the birds - but I'm not sure if it will see Galilleo without serious bwain surgery (This is a question that tech journalists should have been asking Samsung and other phonemakers whenever they started touting their GPS credentials)

There are also operational positioning systems up there from France (yup, they did it alone, as usual, by upgrading their ancient SPOT system), India and Japan - but these don't use the "standard" GPS L1/L2 frequencies (the other 4 systems all transmit within a gnat's fart of each other so the same chipset/antenna can easily tune 'em all)

(*) That's the official name for the USA GPS system.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Three systems

What about glonass? on mobile phones.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Three systems

Recent chipsets can do all both GPS and Glonass.

Mine definitely can: http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_s-4369.php

I am not sure if it is because of "more birds, better location", but it picks up in a fraction of the time it was taking the Nokia E71 and Xperia Arc before it (even with A-GPS off).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Although Glonass as a technology is very useful and fine, Russia is anything but dependable as they prove time and time again, always defaulting to seeking external enemy. Europe has enough problems with dependency on Russia to really embrace Glonass as a backup. The natural gas depenedency disaster should be illustrative enough.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

always defaulting to seeking external enemy

And how is that different from us may I ask?

3. petur

free

I read 'commercial' - we'll see how free it will be, somebody will pay the bill.

1. Mark 85

Re: free

Just like the American version that's "free"... the taxpayers will pay and pay and pay.

1. Six_Degrees

So what? Check the total cost - the handful of pennies the GPS system costs individual taxpayers every year is more than made up for by the benefits it confers not just on US citizens, but on the entire planet.

Would you rather not have it?

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

While I was quite happy to condemn the original politics of Galileo where the EU weasels, sorry ministers, said it would all be paid by the commercial use, we all knew that was a lie. With GPS being free and mostly available courtesy of Uncle Sam, almost no one will pay much for an alternative.

But I fully support the EU doing Galileo for the following reasons:

1) Developing the technology & infrastructure in the EU to do it.

2) Having an alternative to GPS in case Uncle Sam throws a hissy-fit (or a budget stale-mate turns things off).

3) Improving the overall reliability and accuracy for everyone as they then have a choice of GPS. GLONASS, BeiDou, Galelio and any other regional or LF options.

While it may represent several billion Euros, per person in the EU it is small change and we have already seen the UK gov piss away similar sums on failed IT projects over the last decade.

So cheap for what we get in my view.

4. Neal Stephenson

Excuse my ignorance, when the system is eventually up and running will my current GPS device ( Garmin running watch ) be able to take advantage of the extra satellites or will I need to buy a new device ?

1. John Tserkezis

"Excuse my ignorance, when the system is eventually up and running will my current GPS device ( Garmin running watch ) be able to take advantage of the extra satellites or will I need to buy a new device?"

Like GPS (NavStar) and GLONASS, you will need a new reciever. But unlike those two, from the report, I infer that the publically accessible signals will be degraded, or somehow lesser-featured than the primary commercial (paid for) signals.

I can also guess that by the time it's finished and operational, and by the time we mere mortal human (non-EU branded humans that is) can actually pay for it, we won't care anymore because GPS and GLONASS would still be working. Well, GPS anyway, I have no idea what the funding reliability for GLONASS is like (remember when it fell into disrepair?)...

As far as how much Galileo will cost, as per usual, it's anyone's guess at this point.

1. DropBear
        Facepalm

"Commercial" not an issue unless you're measuring continental drift

Wikipedia is your friend, LMGTFY, etc. :

"The Galileo system will have five main services:

Open access navigation

This will be available without charge for use by anyone with appropriate mass-market equipment; simple timing, and positioning down to 1 metre.

Commercial navigation (encrypted)

High precision to the centimetre; guaranteed service for which service providers will charge fees.

Safety of life navigation

Open service; for applications where guaranteed precision is essential. Integrity messages will warn of errors.

Public regulated navigation (encrypted)

Continuous availability even if other services are disabled in time of crisis; Government agencies will be main users.

Search and rescue

System will pick up distress beacon locations; feasible to send feedback, e.g. confirming help is on its way."

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. harmjschoonhoven

Re: how much Galileo will cost

@John Tserkezis

The budget for the period 2014-2020 is 7071 million Euros in current prices. That is less than 2 Euros p.p. p.a.

1. Sanctimonious Prick
          Thumb Down

Re: how much Galileo will cost

@harmjschoonhoven "The budget for the period 2014-2020 is 7071 million Euros in current prices. That is less than 2 Euros p.p. p.a."

Spoken like a true politician!

4. James Loughner

Multi system should mean higher acuraccy

It seems to me multiple systems should give higher accuracy even with the intentionally degraded signals. Just need signal off more birds

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

First built by SSTL, rest by Astrium (after they bought SSTL)

So later ones likely to grossly over budget and schedule.

But time will tell.

1. Spikehead

Re: First built by SSTL, rest by Astrium (after they bought SSTL)

The platforms are built by OHB,the payloads are still built by SSTL who are only 99% owned by Airbus.

6. x 7

Why is the ESA using Russian Soyuz rockets? Whats wrong with the Arianes? Theres enough money been spent on developing them......seems an odd decision to use a Russian launcher

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

I'm sure its just commercial considerations. Just now, in spite of the on going politics and strife over the Ukraine, etc, the EU and Russia do business and this is part of it. Maybe future launches will be more birds in fewer Ariane rockets, most certainly if Russia causes trouble in this area, but for now I guess those in engineering and contract roles just get on with the best deal for the current time & place.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like