back to article Street Culture: Reg man's snazzy snaps of punky London go on display

For the next four days a London exhibition features the youth cult photos of Register contributor Phil Strongman. Here he explains the whys and wherefores – and how technology has changed such shows. The last time I mounted an exhibition was at The Foundry in a Shoreditch that was still quite wild, many years ago. It literally …

1. skeptical i
    Devil

What comes around goes around

Great photos! I was noting that Pistols Girl and Rockabilly Boy could have been taken yesterday, the way clothing comes and goes out of style.

Except for the phone she's holding -- I had no idea how thoroughly tiny cellphones had invaded our culture until I caught myself thinking "damn, that handset is HUGE!", an artifact from the days when handsets did double duty as truncheons. (That scene in _The Stepfather_ would have played out differently if Terry O'Quinn had tried to subdue Shelley Hack with an iPhone.)

1. MrT

Re: What comes around goes around

Agreed - great photos; Phil Strongman has captured a mood - they're much more than just snapshots.

I like this sort of observational commentary style of photography - a friend of mine does it as a hobby (which I'm sure he finds any excuse to be away from the day job). His work is here on Flickr. I know there are plenty of folk who don't like street photography, but when it's done well it captures more than just light...

2. Bleu

Re: What comes around goes around

No.

They may have, except that the modern subjects would be plastered in middle-class tatoos.

2. Grade%
    Thumb Up

OMG

Oh woe, there shan't be any threats of violence made toward fellow citizens, but whom pray tell must I coitus completest in order to be there to see this show? I only require tickets, passport, and a sidewalk to flop on. On the other hand, publish a book and I for certain will be one to buy. Thanks much, for a nostalgic frisson to a misspent young adulthood.

3. Ray Mills

Vinyl collection archaeology ahoy

I am pretty sure I have the 'Liz' Photo on a bootleg Sex Pistols interview picture disc

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon