back to article John Lewis stakes £100,000 on building a working tech creche

John Lewis has launched a £100,000 technology incubator competition to encourage tech start-ups to get involved with its business. The 150-year-old retailer unveiled JLAB 2 earlier this week, a 12-week program of pitching and mentoring for up to 10 technology firms. The prize for one winner is £100,000 funding, plus the …

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

I like the sofa thing

...but I'd like to be able to upload a photo of my living room and have the computer place an item of furniture in the photo for me, to scale. With the option to move it around. A little limited I know since it's a 2D photo, not a 3D model of my room. But it should be do-able. Modern image processing should be able, possibly with some user interaction, to identify the walls/floor and their angles.

This would be especially useful of on-line sales since it's difficult for many people to visualise furniture items in situ, especially large ones.

1. Malcolm 1

Re: I like the sofa thing

I think ikea have something like that. You put the brochure on the floor to provide a datum and your phone then displays the sofa in situ AR-style.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: I like the sofa thing

Recommend a visit to your local Lego store for an example of what can be done with these types of customer interactive systems, kept the children happy for ages...

2. Michael Shelby

Read the headline too quickly...

I thought it said John Lettice, and I was very confused...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon