back to article When will ROBOTS start chatting on WhatsApp? Don't hold your breath, says co-founder

As much as developers might want WhatsApp to publish APIs to allow other software to access its popular chat service, the Facebook subsidiary has no plans to do so. That's the word from WhatsApp cofounder Brian Acton, who took the stage at the Facebook F8 developer conference in San Francisco on Wednesday to participate in a …

1. TeleC
    Devil

Already too late

It's bad enough we get unsolicited SMS shit, but I've already seen spam on WhatsApp.

My father received spam from an unknown number +1 (858) 252-2319 (based in San Diego County, California apparently) with the whole crap about 'you could be due up to £(random figure out of arse generator). Contact us: +44 203 129 0785 or claim-law .co .uk' (Don't go there obviously. Googled and both those numbers and the website are known scams) Twats.

Then I went in and checked/fixed all his security/privacy settings, hopefully it won't happen again.

1. THMONSTER

Re: Already too late

Also got a few of these, deleted the first which then was sent again, blocked the sender and deleted and it appeared again, blocked and left the third which just stayed at the top of my feed refusing to go down the messages list as other messages do even though I get a lot of messages from others in Whatsapp.

Facebook's first foray into unwanted spam on Whatsapp or some telemarketeer taking advantage of some bug?

Message has now gone though so I am siding with the latter of the two choices but am just waiting for the day that the first one becomes a reality.

2. Da Weezil

Re: Already too late

I too had one of those. After reporting it to the ICO, and as there was nothing on TV I spent a fun hour annoying the hell out of the (Only?) guy answering the phone - isnt it fun when you have unlimited minutes? He seemed particularly mad when in reply to his "why do you keep calling?" question I replied that" I was hoping that by blocking the line up I might prevent some fool from being scammed by you losers."

Pretty sure that number goes all the way back to an overseas call centre, the droid I spoke to didnt seem to have a clue about London. When he claimed to live only a short walk from his central London Office I told him that even selling his body wouldn't earn enough for a muppet like him to afford central London rents - Unless he was hanging out with the winos and vagrants.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like