back to article Open-Xchange builds anti Oracle stack after server M&A splurge

Open-Xchange, a maker of web apps that some of the biggest telcos and hosts rebrand as their own, has bought up open-source mailserver firm Dovecot and DNS server outfit PowerDNS. There are lots of possible reasons for this burst of activity, the most obvious being Open-Xchange's desire to offer its service provider customers …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UM

The dual license open-xchange means you can't provide a paid for service using the free version, does this mean Dovecot and PowerDNS will go that way too?

1. Rafael Laguna

Re: UM

No.

2. Vic

Re: UM

The dual license open-xchange means you can't provide a paid for service using the free version

Says who?

Given that a chunk of what they're shipping is GPL, to try to put such a restriction on the code would remove their own right to distribute.

Vic.

2. Hans 1
    Boffin

https://www.suse.com/company/press/2002/10/openexchange.html

First time I heard of OpenExchange was in 2002 - I tried it back then and it was pretty impressive stuff.

I imagine it is much better now.

From what I saw it had email, calendering, and various other productivity functionality ... this was in 2002. It was, at the time, way ahead of what OWA 2010 is now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like