back to article Chipzilla spawns 60-core, six-teraflop Xeon Phi MONSTER CHIP

Intel has set some rumours to rest, giving a media and analyst briefing outlining details of its coming 60-plus core Knights Landing Xeon Phi chip. Opening the bag to let the cat see a little bit of light, Intel has told journalists at a briefing at its Hillsboro, Oregon fab that the “honking big die” for the Knights Landing …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Power?

Can it run Crysis (while it heats my office)?

1. james 68

Re: Power?

Its like you read my mind :)

2. boba1l0s2k9

Nuclear. Or maybe petrol if they fit the pull cord retractor on the board.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> "Can it run Crysis (while it heats my office)?"

The article over at The Platform says it will be able to boot Windows, so the answer is likely "Yes, it can run Crysis".

(Whether doing that makes any sense is a wholly different question, of course!)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Trollface

Except in Scotland where it will only be available to play Crysis when the wind is blowing from the east and the sun is shining brightly in the skies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-32016538

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Seems some of my co-commentards might be missing my (possibly slightly terse) point. It was meant to be:

Power?

i.e. Have they heard of it? If so why no mention of it? At what rate do they sip/guzzle it? How long would one of these things take to black-out the town if I tried to run Crysis (or anything else) on it?

TDP?

:O)

2. cmannett85

Shame about the TSX disabling (though understandable). It's almost certain that TS is going to be added to the C++17 release - let's hope Intel have it sorted by then.

3. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Happy

NICE!

I wouldn't mind a box or two of those beasts. And, no, I will not run Crysis on it. Instead I will be processing giga to terapixel images on it

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: NICE!

Funny you should say that......

4. Unicornpiss
    Alert

What socket?

...does that monster fit into? Something the size of a standard motherboard?

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: What socket?

Xeon Phis are (currently) a PCI expansion card. They do get "rather toasty" (personal experience).

The hardest part about dealing with them is finding programmers actually competent to write multithreaded code in the arenas we operate - they're as rare as rainbow unicorns.

1. Adrian Tawse

Re: What socket?

Yes indeed! You should check out Connective Logic Systems. If you have more questions contact adrian@pipemead.co.uk.

5. Robert E A Harvey

Thomas J. Watson

What's the world-wide market for these? perhaps five?

(yes, I know he never said it)

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Thomas J. Watson

This will be occupied by Cortana soon.

6. Nick Ryan Silver badge

The Platform

Sister website? News to me :) However have found the link now I look for it (top right corner of this page), but that's about it.

Maybe I'm being oblivious to these things (I have developed a habit over many years of web surfing to ignore all adverts) but I'm sure I'd have noticed this!

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: The Platform

Turns out that it's only been around since the beginning of March (http://www.theplatform.net/2015/03/01/welcome-to-the-platform/... so I guess I haven't missed much!

2. Bronek Kozicki

Re: The Platform

It's new to me too, but I like breath of the articles there. Only had time to read one on Xeon Phi which could be said to be remotely related to work (need to always have long-term strategy, right?)

7. DaemonProcess

Worth

Have the Intel guys been using these to mine coin already?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TDP

300W

9. Daniel von Asmuth
    Alien

Memory

6 TFLOPS makes a competitor for POWER8, 100 GB/s is pretty good, but 384 GB is rather modest, maybe just enough for the next MacPro model.

1. Bronek Kozicki

Re: Memory

Nah, many computational real-time tasks require lots of CPU power and parallelize well, but do not use much memory at all. I guess if I was to use such a machine, 16GB of near RAM would suffice for most purposes (except for file buffers of course)

10. Mark Hahn

When will we get the important performance numbers, such as rates and latency? A variant of IB with 100Gb is only incrementally interesting, but if it's lower latency, or cheaper, or can do cache coherency, that would be news. Similarly, putting 60 cores on a chip is not exactly news unless it's substantially different (remote cacheline put instruction? threads in the ISA proper?)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like