back to article Half of Android devices open to silent hijack

Hacker Zhi Xu has found that seemingly legitimate apps can unleash a hidden dark side to compromise almost half of all Android devices. The Palo Alto Networks senior engineer says legitimate Google Play apps can establish a kind of beachhead on devices that can be invaded by a second app installed from legitimate third party …

1. Andrew Jones 2

Potentially open to attack......

While half might be running a version of Android that is vulnerable - half certainly haven't enabled the option to allow installs outside the Play Store.

1. Mike Bell

Yes, there's something to be said for a walled garden.

1. phil dude
        WTF?

yes until....

the gardeners don't want to let someone else plant prettier flowers, or let you grow mint.

I install f-droid for GPL apps , and I'll bet that the Google Play store doesn't allow them because it is not built with their closed-source malware library with the click-jack "YOU HAVE A VIRUS" show_us_your_privates(phonehome, victim).

Walled gardens only work if you are allowed to tend a bit of the garden and you trust the landlord....

P.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hopefully you will be able to upgrade to Windows Phone soon.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Users should upgrade to at least Android 4.4 to avoid being exposed.

Yea, like Android phone makers keep version of Android on the phones they sell up to date.

I'm talking to you, Samsung.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Users should upgrade to at least Android 4.4 to avoid being exposed.

This, especially at the bottom end of the market.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Fame earlier this month, new, running 4.1.x and it tells me that there is no update, which I dare say is true for a Clintonesque interpretation of "is".

One could argue that a phone, designed to be connected to the public network, isn't fit under the Sale of Goods Act if no-one patches the known bugs.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Half of Android devices open to silent hijack"

The rest presumably beep a few times...

2. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Upgrade Now!

Users should upgrade to at least Android 4.4 to avoid being exposed.

In practical terms, this translates to buy a new phone for at least most people in the US who own a vulnerable device. How cynical mobile providers are not to bother patching customer's phones! I have been wondering when there is going to be a flurry of class action suits filed to get them to send out updates on a reasonable timetable. Or just because it's the US, you know...

1. naive

Re: Upgrade Now!

I can be wrong, but as, former, Android fanboi, this Mobile OS seems a bad hoax from google.

Upgrades... don't even think about it, still having 4.1.4 on a 2 yo former high-end phone.

The permissions that apps from the google play shop request are ridiculous. Google does not check a thing in there, apps for wifi monitoring request permission to read calls, sms and pictures. And things seem simple, just deny apps by default access to this personal data, but then, there will be a business model behind it.

2. Arachnoid

Re: Upgrade Now!

Should the lock manufacturer keep providing upgrades to purchasers because the lock they bought with a one off payment many years ago has been proven to be easily defeated of course not.As per other software vendors like MS upgrades are only provided for a short term.

3. tony2heads

moral

Don't use Amazon store

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: moral

Or don't buy a phone with an OS that doesn't get security updates.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: don't buy a phone with an OS that doesn't get security updates.

With my cynic's hat on, it often seems like this should really be translated to the somewhat shorter "don't buy a phone".

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: With my cynic's hat on

iOS gets security patches. WinPhone gets security patches. Even Firefox phones get security updates apparently. What are you trying to say? If I can't have Android then I don't want a phone?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: (updates) If I can't have Android then I don't want a phone?

There's updates, and there's updates that are timely, frequent (if needed), and that arrive over the lifetime (or an approximation thereof) of the phone. My - cynical - impression has rather been that very few vendors/OS's manage the better sort - but then perhaps I am mistaken. Is a security update really worth its name if it's weeks or months late? And with a phone it's not like you can be reasonably expected to diy a (temporary) solution as you might with a pc.

You're a hostage to the vendor, and the security updates are late (again). Putative future updates don't make your phone secure right now. Hence my cynical remark (but perhaps if I could justify the spend on an iphone I could be just a little smug instead?)

2. Planty Bronze badge

Re: moral

Running Android 5.1 here. Android OS gets updates just fine thanks....

Don't believe the Internet or Apple...

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Ha ha ha ha haah hah haaa

Good one....

"Users should upgrade to at least Android 4.4 to avoid being exposed"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ha ha ha ha haah hah haaa

Came to say the same / post a FTFY: "Operators should release an update to 4.4 to protect their customers."

Unfortunately I've been laughing for the last hour and you beat me to it.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's not really the same thing. That is not a vulnerability in the system, you are saying you want to export the key. There's no point in exporting it to somewhere you can't get to and if you can get to it, so can any nasties.

The problem isn't with PGPs export process, it's that you'd already been infected by something monitoring that folder with malicious intent. I would be more concerned about how this malicious software got onto the device than PGP exporting keys to user-readable space.

You're right about storing the APKs in world-writable space though and personally, I think SD card access needs better access control, as it stands now, you have a read/write to the external storage permission, which gives you full access to all of it, regardless.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@ 1980s_coder "why I am arguing with an Anonymous Coward?"

Just as a passing remark, and not as any reflection on the content of your post, but from my perspective there's very little difference between a generic AC and your pseudonym here.

I don't know the background of the AC, nor do I know yours. Neither of you have shown us a CV (where at least you might make in-principle falsifiable claims as to your expertise), or supplied personal references which we might check to judge your track record. I suppose with you at least I might look at your other attributed posts, but who's to say what you might post at other times as AC? And maybe the AC here often posts quite useful remarks under their preferred name/pseudonym?

I suppose, therefore, you are just arguing with an Anonymous Coward because you think they are wrong? :-) So make your points (as you have), and their accuracy and/or relevance will have to stand on their own merits. Just like the AC did.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. phil dude

Re: @ 1980s_coder "why I am arguing with an Anonymous Coward?"

mod up. I reply to AC only to correct obviously (IMHO) incorrect information.

I think allowing MathML might help a bit too ;-)

P.

2. deive
      Boffin

The correct way of doing this is to use sharing intents - you write the file to export to your internal app directory (only accessible by that app).

Then you given the receiver of the share intent the rights to read that file (see http://developer.android.com/reference/android/content/Intent.html#FLAG_GRANT_READ_URI_PERMISSION)

6. User McUser
    FAIL

Not Correct

The Palo Alto Networks senior engineer says legitimate Google Play apps can establish a kind of beachhead on devices that can be invaded by a second app installed from legitimate third party stores like Amazon.

The above quoted line from the article incorrectly asserts that this vulnerability affects the Google Play app store where as the actual report says:

[Android Installer Hijacking] only affects applications downloaded from third-party app stores.

and goes on to explain that this is because:

Google Play downloads Android packages (APKs) to a protected space of the file system. Third party app stores and mobile advertisement libraries usually download APK files to unprotected local storage (e.g. /sdcard/) and install the APK files directly.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like