back to article EU digital veep: If you like America's radical idea of net neutrality, you're in luck, Europe

Europe’s digi-chief has spoken out about net neutrality rules emerging from America, and mobile networks favoring particular websites over others. Speaking at an event in Brussels this week, Digital Vice President of the Commission Andrus Ansip said he sees no difference between the EU and the FCC in the US in their approach …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Zero rating of services

Mobile data will be virtually unlimited by then in the UK.

A good example of a zero rated service!

The example used in the article, namely: "a mobile network could say music streamed from Spotify doesn't count against a subscriber's monthly download limit" is interesting.

Firstly, for this to be a truly neutral provision of service, the provision needs to apply to all streaming music services, not just Spotify. However, if the network provides me with a range of tariffs and add-on's of which one is "unlimited Spotify" (which may or may not have a price attached, but critically the subscriber has to opt-in) then I suggest it does satisfy the criteria for net neutrality.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Zero rating of services

Mobile data will be virtually unlimited by then in the UK.

I will be surprised if that is the case. Quotas may be many times what they are now but there will still be (new data-heavy) services which push them to their limits. Although I would agree that audio will not be one of them.

I think the much bigger impact on net neutrality will come from ubiquitous operator CDNs (caching, run by the operator, physically in major polulation centres to reduce transmission capacity needs). All the major services will be on the CDNs -- because that is the only feasible way to run a network when video is 90% of the traffic (but still to be determined who pays!). How is a new entrant going to manage? Can it get on the CDNs? Both cost and perfomance will suffer significantly if not.

But it is not at all clear how to create a level playing field once we have ubiquitous operator CDNs. That is a much more challenging problem in the medium term than zero-rating.

[AC as I work in the telecoms industry and I would not want anyone to misinterpret my personal views as my employer's views, on this very divisive topic]

2. theOtherJT Silver badge

Surely the point of net-neutrality is that we don't want there to BE any specialized services?

The digi-veep also said he could live with some so-called zero-rated services - the practice whereby mobile operators do not charge for specified volumes of data from specific apps or used through specific services.

This is EXACTLY what net-neutrality is supposed to prevent. It leads to a situation where $TELCO can launch their own streaming video/music service at "zero-rate", but charge consumers for access to anyone else's service, damaging competition on merit between service offerings. Alternatively where $MEDIACOMPANY can throw $TELCO a massive stack of money in order to offer their service for free, and putting their competitors out in the cold.

3. Panicnow

Not "radical" just status quo (and essential IMHO)

Anyone would think the author has been briefed by the foes of net neutrality

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like