back to article El Reg reforms the Quid-A-Day Nosh Posse

We're pleased to announce that we've reformed the El Reg Quid-A-Day Nosh Posse to tackle the 2015 Live Below the Line challenge to exist for five days on just £1 per day for food. Over the last couple of years, we've raised a good wedge of wonga in support of Malaria No More UK, and we hope to do the same from 27 April to 1 …

1. JDX Gold badge

Group efforts make sense

Even two people with £10 benefit, a family or group of housemates much more so.

1. BeerTokens

Re: Group efforts make sense

For us a family of four £28 food budget is not too far from our normal spend. Maybe it should reduce as you add more members to the group...

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Group efforts make sense

Why? Most of the poorer people in the world do live as families together.

Seeing how far you can get with £5 a day for 5 of you could be pretty interesting.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Fair warning...

I've got jam from fruit gathered last year, and just planted some saved basil seed for fresh herbs next month. Beansprouts will be started the week before.

Anita will be helping again this year, so a tenner for the pair of us.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fair warning...

The gathered fruit you can have, but won't you have to pay for the sugar in the jam?

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Yes, of course. 340g jars are about 140g sugar, so 9 pence.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

its a shame I don't make jam. Perhaps it's time to make an emergency visit to the market, in hopes of cheap end-of-day fruit.

I'm planning to make bread during the week. I'm wondering what's cheap that goes with it. Other than baked beans? The correct answer is bacon, but that's not affordable.

Hmm. If I sell you a jar, can I add any profit to my fiver?

3. Andrew Tyler 1

Nutrition?

Do you have to meet some sort of nutritional requirement? I could easily live on a cup of rice a day for five days, and often did in my sillier younger years, but I'd be looking at a nasty death of scurvy if it was five weeks.

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: Nutrition?

Vitamin pills are cheap.

Re: Nutrition?

But unnecessary.

4. Dennis_the_performance_dork
    Thumb Up

Any other 5 Eyes El Reg readers forming vulture teams?

Noticed that they had a separate selection for each of the US, UK, AU, NZ, and CA. I've followed the quid-a-day for the last 2 years, and it looks, um . . . *challenging* It doesn't look like the US version has Malaria No More as an option for donations (despite there being a US branch https://www.malarianomore.org/). Any other readers/contributors from Vulture West or Vulture South up for the challenge? Maybe even some cross continental rivalry?

If not, any idea how confused the system will get if I try to contribute my strange US dollars with no picture of the queen to Malaria No More UK in support of my brave Reg correspondents and their soon to be lentil heavy diets?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Any other 5 Eyes El Reg readers forming vulture teams?

From signing up to the website, which bizarrely seems to favour pale orange text on a white background (Aaargh!!!!!), it might be ignoring my charity setting - as a member of the El Reg group. So I think all donations go to the group, not me. I shall test this by donating to myself later on.

I don't know how other countries do it. But another reason for the UK site, is that charities can reclaim income tax paid on donations using Gift Aid. I think it requires the donor to declare themselves a tax payer, and give their address.

1. Dennis_the_performance_dork
        Trollface

Seems that they took my card for a 50 GBP donation. Best wishes Vulture Central on your quid a day! Going to try to recruit some here across the secession pond ;) Make Simon write more BoFH articles and Verity do more too, even if she still uses Delphi intentionally :)

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re: Any other 5 Eyes El Reg readers forming vulture teams?

Nice one - thanks for your support.

2. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

I think people can either donate to you personally or the group - it's a bit confusing. I don't know if donations to you are added to the group tally. I think I raised £0 last year, as stuff was directed at the posse.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Lester,

If you go to your own user page, it has the group shown in it. And only the donate button for that. They also do a popup saying your goodies to to the group.

Which is a shame. My charity was going to be the relief of distressed Englishmen unable to afford 50 year old whisky...

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Aha - they've changed the set-up, then. Makes sense. I too am unable to run to vintage tipples, so any donations welcome.

2. launcap Silver badge
            Pint

> unable to afford 50 year old whisky..

You poor thing you, I feel your pain! I know, it's terrible having to subsist on fermented and distilled sprouting barley that's only been aged for (shudder) 21 years.

In other news, I've discovered that gin can make a respectably decent drink (neat naturally - none of yer poncy quinine-based tonics - unless you live in malaria alley of course).

Hic, haec, hoc!

(In my younger days I've been tempted to drink spirits in icon-sized glasses..)

5. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Moral dilemma

So, how about the spices?

Is it cheating to pro-rata a cost to use stuff from my well stocked spice cupboard? In fact this could apply to other stuff, like tomato purée, tea, pasta, rice etc?

Am I allowed to take the cost at the bulk price I normally buy at, or should I have to pay the full whack for whatever I can use that week? Often poorer people suffer from this, as they don't have the cash to save money by buying in bulk.

What do the Commentard starvation soviet think?

1. The Nazz

Re: Moral dilemma

Proportioning the cost of existing bulk buy stocks sounds ok and legit to me. Precisely as would happen if it was "live on a £1 a day for a year".

Other peoples' inefficiencies ( ie a £10 pizza with bits of cheese and tomato on ) shouldn't be your problem.

I eat well anyways and don't spend much more than a £10 week on food most times. Wine and Chocolate is a different matter.

2. Dennis_the_performance_dork
      Headmaster

Rule in the past has been pro-rota. A cheap scale will let you apportion the salt/pepper/flour/oil/etc. that would normally be bought over a longer period. Check out the last couple of years, and you'll see how they cut down portions of things that we all have in our cupboards into what's for the week. Pretty sensible as engineers at El Reg should be expected to be and are.

Pro-rata is the only way to do it that makes sense, if you want any sort of variety. It's how I priced things in the book, too: if you've only got a tenner or so for a week, you don't blow it all at PapaJohn's (best delivery pizzas round here) - you think about what you're going to eat, and if necessary, you try and save something so you can afford herbs and spices because that's what you use to make things different.

My minimum spice list: salt, pepper, dried basil, tandoori masala, worcestershire sauce - but even that will eat up most of your tenner if you buy it in one go. Nonetheless if you get them one at a time every week or two, it's doable... and they all last a lot longer than a couple of months.

The actual cost is pennies or less; some the quantities are just too small to measure.

I'm planning on eating mostly from the book, having done all the research, though I'll perhaps scale things a little. Home-made muesli and sourdough bread (not at the same time) and jam for breakfast and lunch, lapsang souchang tea!

3. launcap Silver badge
      Happy

> Am I allowed to take the cost at the bulk price I normally buy at

I don't see why not. Especially if you buy them at a proper Asian/Indian wholesaler and not the ripoff prices that the supermarkets sell at..

6. armyknife

Day in Day Out

Unless you're telling us you live on £365.25 of food per year, I don't see the point of this challenge.

Or perhaps it's one of those dual-edged charity events that can't be criticised; Oh look I'm doing this for 'charity' so aren't I marvelous, but the subtext is "see I can live on a pound a day, so why can't poor people in this country do that, rather than just sitting around watching Jeremy Kyle all day on their huge flat-screen tellies, paid for with tax payer's money"

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: Day in Day Out

From the Live Below the Line web site: "Join us from 27 April - 1 May by living on £1 a day for 5 days to deepen understanding and raise vital funds for the 1.2 billion people who live below the extreme poverty line." My emphasis. The idea is to raise awareness of the issue and increase empathy for those who have no choice but to live off of such a restricted budget. Yes, there will be people who are more in it for some self-serving reason, but so what? They may accidentally do some good and they certainly are not getting in the way of the main goals of the project.

2. Dennis_the_performance_dork
      Unhappy

I don't think you've followed this over the last 2 years. People fail on a 5 day run of what other people have to live with day in and day out their entire lives, and those who make it end up delirious, hungry, grumpy, and all sorts of awful with crazy weight loss. It's kind of like the Oxfam hunger banquet here in the States -- not really designed to live in poverty but just to give a short term idea of how difficult it is and raise some funds.

1.22 of my favored beers would eat my whole week's funding (on the 1.50 of USD vs 1 GBP). If some martyr wants to abstain from all beer or decent food for a year for charity, I'd happily contribute a good sum to charity. If not and they're willing to go a few days (in really idealized ways since utilities don't count to the sum), I'm glad to help out those who have to live that life every day.

I don't think anybody's saying that it's possible to live on a quid (or a buck-fiddy) a day in a happy way in any of the targeted countries. I doubt anyone in the readership of the vulture rag has to worry about that. Even here in the weird old USA, even the worst off get plenty to eat for the most part. But 1.2 billion people in the world have to eat on 1 pound/1.48 dollars a day. Experiencing similar hardship, even in a limited way, is informative to people who never have to worry about having an ale or two and having food for the next few weeks.

Living as the "other half" do, even if it's limited and brief, is always informative. If some funds can be raised to fight disease, homelessness, environmental devastation, and hunger in the process, what's wrong with that? I don't think that any sensible person is saying that it's reasonable in any 1st world country that you can live comfortably on that sum as some sort of "poverty is not an issue in developed countries because well paid/fed tech professionals can live on third world rations for a week once a year" statement.

If you don't see the point, join the challenge and see how you feel after 5-7 days of living on the equivalent of a GBP a day with no cheating and try to extrapolate how that would work for the rest of your life. It's kind of like biking/walking everywhere for a week. Nobody's saying that's sensible, but it's informative.

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

armyknife,

It's an excuse for a charity fundraiser. Which you are free to ignore, as you wish. As a campaign it also makes a point, in an easily digestible manner, about how little some people have got.

You're over-thinking it though. As with all things, it should be approached with a sense of proportion, and a sense of humour.

From my planning for this year, and reading about the guys who've done it before, it's clear that this is not a good diet. Which is, after all, another point of the challenge.

It is true that you can easily live on £15-£20 a week, if you have time to spend cooking and budget carefully. Not only that, but you can eat well too. The fact that people don't is more a failure of education. We as a society haven't been passing those skills on to kids, either at home or at school. Only about half of my friends can cook, and I'm in my early 40s. I don't think schools have re-started teaching home economics since my day. They stopped teaching it before my day, round here.

7. GlenP Silver badge

Tempted to take part but I've just checked the calendar. 2 days at a corporate conference in the middle of the week, whilst I won't be spending money on food or drink I think it may be against the spirit of the enterprise.

I'll just have to make a donation instead.

Glen

8. TheresaJayne

This is quite hard to complete though, I worked out that to eat well for 2 Days will cost me 79p + 9p

Which is half a pack of (insert supermarket name here) Value Spaghetti + (Supermarket Name) Value Chicken in white sauce,

Cook the spaghetti up,

Drain and add chicken in sauce,

Serve half

Put other half in fridge for tomorrow.

So that would give me an extra £1.12 for other stuff..

Most students and low paid worker live on less than £1 for a day.

9. Spleen

Most people on a quid a day live in countries with a much, much lower cost of living. Is this not taken into account? If you're not going shopping in one of these countries then you should be scaling up the £1 according to Purchasing Power Parity.

And while I'm being a heartless economist bastard, many people on less than a quid a day grow their own food or have a few chickens and goats. Don't forget to get some of those.

I'm not under any delusion that people in extreme poverty are actually living some simple bucolic lifestyle. Poverty is horrible. But arbitrary "challenges" like this don't raise awareness of anything but how Westerners prefer cheap posturing to actual awareness of the reasons people are poor.

1. Dennis_the_performance_dork

"Westerners prefer cheap posturing to actual awareness of the reasons people are poor."

That's kind of the point of exercises like this -- to raise awareness. Is it flawed? Yup. Does it gloss over details of cost of living/exchange rates/lifestyles? Absolutely. But I just downed an energy drink that costs, accounting for common currency exchanges, the wages that millions of people will take home today for a long hard day of labor.

It's a challenge -- a game of sorts like football or tennis -- but with the goal of raising money for a good charity doing good work rather than lining a corporate/celebrity bottom line. Knock it if you want, but if you're not willing to try it before you knock it, at least donate to Malaria No More.

And if you have some better solution for global poverty awareness, by all means. . . we're waiting.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Easy

Packet of wine yeast - £1. Bag of sugar - £1. Use free foraged fruit (e.g. elderberries/blackberries).

Ferment.

Get wankered for 7 days. Total cost = £2 + hangover.

Result.

Pint

Re: Easy

Only problem is... all the fruit has been on the ground since November... you had to start your cunning plan six months ago.

1. Santa from Exeter

No problem,

I've still got dome blackberries in the freezer waiting to be fermented :-)

I'm up for this, but it'll be a bugger cooking 'real' food for the Missus on the Friday :-(

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Neil Barnes,

I believe the secret to lack of available fruit to make cheap hooch is cheap apple juice. That gives you cheap cider. Which you can then distill, should the mood take you...

I'll have a pint of your finest scumble please barman.

1. Santa from Exeter
          Pint

Recipe for 5 gallons of 'Mock Hock'

5L clear apple juice

50g dried Elderflowers

5Kg white sugar

1 sachet wine yeast

Water

Pour apple juice into 5 gallon wine fermenter.

Add sugar

Add 2 kettles boiling water and dissolve sugar

Top up to 5 gallons with cold water

Add wine yeast and stir

Suspend small muslin bag containing elderflowers in top of liquid

Screw lid on and ferment under airlock until bubbles are < 1/minute

Rack off sediment.

Fine if needed

Filter/Polish if wanted

Bottle

Drinkable straight away, tastes better after about a month, keeps for 18 months without deteriorating in taste.

Makes about 30 bottles.

And yes, I brew beer as well :-) --->

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Is the problem with some apple juice that they have stabilisers in which prevents fermentation or is this not an issue?

1. Santa from Exeter

I suspect that is just the 'posh' apple juice with bits. The 'from concentrate' cheap juice worked fine when I did it. Luckily, the last couple of years I have had access to free windfall apples to make the real thing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon