back to article Ring Roads, After the Crash and The Age of Earthquakes: Guide to the Extreme Present

El Reg bookworm Mark Diston looks at the latest from the publishing world with two recent French translations of best-selling books from Patrick Modiano and Michel Bussi. We've also a curious comment on our life and times by Douglas Coupland, Hans Ulrich Obrist and Shumon Basar that could well find its way into hipsters' pockets …

1. Bleu

Two apparently unreadable books, one a picture book for children

I will avoid these publications, but would advise reading real Situationist publications before you make that comparison.

Sure, they had their share of jerks, also had more than their share of brilliance, puts the puerile crap from the hippy generation of the english-speaking countries where it belongs: in the rubbish bin.

1. a pressbutton

Re: Two apparently unreadable books, one a picture book for children

reading real Situationist publications before you make that comparison.

... any good examples?

1. Bleu

Re: Two apparently unreadable books, one a picture book for children

The Society of the Spectacle by Guy Debord, his post-Situationist Commentary on the Society of the Spectactle (gnomic and I don't understand it all, but he makes the reasons clear), and his essay on wine from the same time, a joy.

The Revolution in Everyday Life by Raoul Vaneigem.

You can find many of the earlier ones, some of the later, at the Situationist International archive, which you must not entirely trust, there are so many great essays and ideas, I find the American and British ones to mainly be stupid (an intentional split infinitive), some of the French and other ones, too.

Many are brilliant.

Apologise for not replying earlier, so you will probably never read this reply.

2. Rob 5

I liked the picture with the kittens.

That is all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like