back to article Ancient SUPERNOVA EXPLOSION contains enough dust for 7,000 EARTHS, say boffins

Boffins believe that supernovae can produce enough dusty material to make thousands of Earths. An international team of scientists analysed the data from SOFIA – a NASA and German Aerospace Center's Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy project – which had taken images of a dust cloud. "This discovery is a special …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

7000 Earths?

Better order up a Ringworld.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. MrT

Re: 7000 Earths?

Is this near the Horsehead Nebula? I thought I spotted the twin suns Soulianis and Rahm in the top-left of the picture...

2. ravenviz Silver badge

The planets _are_ there, we're just using the scientific method to prove it!

3. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Happy

We are stardust...

Still gotta get ourselves back to the garden though.

1. bill 27

Re: We are stardust...

Apparently recycled stardust.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: We are stardust...

How do you know that we aren't the primary usage for that dust, and that the stars aren't doing the recycling?

4. Mage Silver badge
    Alien

Wonderful

We are actually in a bubble of low density space, probably caused by a supernova long ago.

I love this sort of boffinry

1. x 7

Re: Wonderful

"a bubble of low density space"

so you mean we are living in a blond Essex girl's brane?

5. Little Mouse

Ancient star's ejaculate detected in hot young galaxy

Do I win £5?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Alien

Re: Ancient star's ejaculate detected in hot young galaxy

No, but Hugh Hefner wants to hire you as his astronomer.

6. frank ly

More stuff happens?

Doesn't the shock wave also compress existing dust clouds, causing them to coalesce and produce new stellar systems? It's a hotbed of creation out there.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: More stuff happens?

> Doesn't the shock wave also compress existing dust clouds...?

Well, yes*. Clouds can be compressed, and if they are fairly pregnant with mass-density, something might happen. Something wonderful...

*Mostly it's hydrogen, but same idea.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

No ones gonna get hungry

if you're feeling a bit peckish, have a bit of DUST! anyone? no? DUST!

8. Graham Marsden
    Coat

Do I see...

... noodly appendages there?

9. Terry Cloth
    Boffin

What, precisely, is the news here?

The discovery allowed the boffins to float the idea that huge quantities of dust spotted in distant young galaxies may have been produced by supernova explosions of early massive stars.
    The idea that roughly everything in the universe (other than hydrogen and some of the helium) was created by supernovae is a given in some geology books from the 1970s I'm reading, and is probably older than that (but I'm too lazy to look it up).

Is the real takeaway that we now know that the stuff doesn't rebound when it hits the outside world? Or that we didn't know how much dust was produced? Or that we didn't know it was already happening in young galaxies? Or something else?

1. phil dude
      Joke

Re: What, precisely, is the news here?

mod up for "some geology book from the 1970s".

Does that come with leather elbow patches?

P.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: What, precisely, is the news here?

That speculation is confirmed by evidence?

It's not like there were a bunch of competing theories1 for the origins of the heavier elements. But a basic aspect of scientific epistemology is not stopping at the point where you say, "yeah, that sounds likely".

More specifically, in this case, these observations provide evidence to address the question of "when heavy elements are produced by a supernova, are they just swept back in by the rebound wave?". Because if the answer to that was "yes", then we'd have a bit of a puzzle.

At any rate, that's my understanding of this particular bit of research.

1Explanations relying on the supernatural, yes; theories, not so much.

10. Maybe?

The initial event produced two energies equal in strength and opposite in nature...bits of compressed space surrounded by stretched space, happening in tandem, the latter pulling between any two of the former... attraction, aka: gravity, with its strength varying with the distance between them. Some compressed bits combine into units around which others orbit. When bits orbit in certain frequency ranges we, and our instruments, detect their presence from light energy. Many don't move in such a regular frequency range so we don't detect them in the same way but do detect them from their gravitational impact on things we do see...SAME STUFF, DIFFERENT MOTION.

It may be the speed of gravity waves we measure and light, warmth, growth, cellular change, etc. are what happens depending on what they encounter.

11. Chris G

Not clear

"Until now, a key question was whether the new soot- and sand-like dust particles would survive the subsequent inward “rebound” shock wave generated when the first, outward-moving shock wave collides with surrounding interstellar gas and dust."

What is not clear, is if the dust etc does not survive the shock wave what would it become?

I can't imagine even a supernova shock wave being able to annihilate matter and if it did then there would be a corresponding release of extra radiation produced.

12. Mark 85
    Coat

And here, my wife has been complaining about "where does all this dust come from?". Now that we know, I'm sure she'll start asking why NASA, etc. can't send a giant Hoover out there to clean it up and keep off the furniture. I'm getting my coat because the next step is to vacuum the garage, in her mind.

13. dan1980

Enough for 7,000 Earths!!!? Wow - that's almost 2% of our sun!

Cool, but am I missing something?

14. Jeff Lewis

Wow.. when i looked at the thumbnail of the graphic, the radio map overylay looked like a little Disneyesque dalmatian pup was poking his head out of the cloud and my first thought was 'what an odd thing to put on that photo...'

15. Maybe?

And the Maybe? post could explain where dust came from, why and how it coagulated into ever larger units from smaller than dust to larger than galaxies.

16. Maybe?

Maybe?

Why do you tell me to withdraw my post so only I can see it...or have you done so already? Is this not a place for scientific inquiry and suggestion?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like