back to article Boffins bothered by EU prez's proposed science funding cut

Lobby group Science Europe has added its voice to the growing outcry over European Commission plans to do away with a large chunk of scientific research funding. In a statement on Thursday night, the group said that proposals to remove €2.7bn from the €80bn budget of nano-science project Horizon 2020 were a mistake and would …

1. FartingHippo
    Windows

Politics and Science

Go together like the reason behind the invasion of iraq and dihydrogen monoxide.

Picture shows where most politicians would be when I'm elected Dictator for Life on a manifesto of Bloody Obvious Common Sense.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Politics and Science

You expect too much, sir!

I on the other hand, am able to admire the breath-taking stupidity of inviting the participation of a bankrupt, inherently corrupt non EU country that is in the middle of a civil war and eventual disintegration.

Although on that last statement, its interesting the extent to which maps all over the world are trying to erase arbitrarily drawn 19th century borders, and the extent to which Western governments are bitterly trying to oppose that processes of self determination wherever it should occur, be that Crimea, Kurdistan, Northern Iraq, Scotland, various Spanish provinces and a whole host of other places.

And that's where the science budget comes in. It's important that the "statesmen" of the EU have some form of carrot, given that they don't have a stick (and if they did they wouldn't be able to agree who would hold it, nor which end). So ptooh to European science, lets use the money as a bribe (over and above various billions already spent bailing out the crooks running Ukraine).

This is what the believers in Greater Europe want.

1. Chris G

Re: Politics and Science

Junckers looks more and more like a stooge who is not actually in favour of Europe going anywhere.

Ukraine is not Europe or European, if he wants to help a poor country to the East there are plenty of EU members that need the money, I get the feeling he has his own agenda and it's not favourable to Europe.

2. Rich 2 Silver badge

Ahhh

"...in order to boost the european fund for strategic investment"

So they want to get rid of a bunch of science to make way for some flatulant business analysts?

Yea, that sounds like a great idea!!!

1. wayward4now

Re: Ahhh

"So they want to get rid of a bunch of science to make way for some flatulent business analysts?

Yea, that sounds like a great idea!!!"

That was what rocket "B" was for. ;

) Ric

3. harmjschoonhoven

On a positive note

"Given that the EU does not recognise the illegal annexation of Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the City of Sevastopol, under the terms of the Horizon 2020 Association Agreement with Ukraine, legal persons established in the Autonomous Republic of Crimea or the city of Sevastopol are not eligible to participate. Should the illegal annexation of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the City of Sevastopol end, the Agreement will be revised accordingly."

h2020-hi-list-ac_en.pdf

4. Old Tom

Where do I vote?

In what election, and when, do we get to vote out/for Mr Junker?

1. harmjschoonhoven

Re: Where do I vote?

The appointment of all Commissioners, including the President (Jean-Claude Juncker 2014-2019), is subject to the approval of the European Parliament. In office, they remain accountable to European Parliament, which has sole power to dismiss the Commission.

Directly elected by EU voters every 5 years, members of the European Parliament represent the people.

1. Andrew Meredith

Re: Where do I vote?

"The appointment of all Commissioners, including the President (Jean-Claude Juncker 2014-2019), is subject to the approval of the European Parliament. In office, they remain accountable to European Parliament, which has sole power to dismiss the Commission.

Directly elected by EU voters every 5 years, members of the European Parliament represent the people."

So, the short version is ... you don't. You need to rely on a bunch of self interested, mostly NeoLiberal politicians to get it right. What could possibly go wrong ?!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like