back to article NYPD cop in court for allegedly hacking into the FBI

A New York City Police Department auxiliary deputy inspector faces charges of hacking into a restricted NYPD computer and other law enforcement databases, including a system maintained by the FBI. Yehuda Katz, 45, of Brooklyn, New York, allegedly used the databases to obtain information about local traffic accident victims …

1. Wommit

My, my ...

“the defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.” What will the Americans think of next?

1. Chris G

Re: My, my ...

If he had a country full of oil it would be a different story!

He would be a guilty terrorist.

1. Fungus Bob
        Unhappy

If he had a country full of oil, our Fearless Leaders would admire his Entrepreneurial Spirit.

2. Robert Helpmann??
      Trollface

Perhaps something like, "Hang 'em first, try 'em later," (Judge Roy Bean). but that's so 19th century.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
        Facepalm

Like Marge said:

Well, Bart, your Uncle Arthur used to have a saying: "Shoot 'em all and let God sort them out." Unfortunately, one day he put his theory into practice. It took 75 Federal Marshals to bring him down. Now let's never speak of this again.

3. ecofeco Silver badge

“the defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.”

To bad the Orwellian reality is exactly the opposite for the average person.

4. Spanners Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

Can I infer that he is not an "African American"?

2. Doctor_Wibble

Surely they do this all the time...?

I see it on all those law enforcement documentaries, nearly every week the nerd of the team takes about 30 seconds to hack into the TLA database to change his grades and get the answer to 3 Down, "Gegs (9,4)" so why prosecute just this one? This was a very enterprising individual showing a real go-getter attitude and should be commended for their ingenuity.

1. elDog

Re: Surely they do this all the time...?

Totally - I agree. Reward the entrepreneurial lawyer-wannabee for inventiveness and exposing the weaknesses in the security apparatuses.

And the heads of the police department and FBI should roll!

Actually, that would sort of be like making Snowden the President of the World and jailing the rest of the imposters. Why not?

2. Doctor_Wibble
      Unhappy

Re: Surely they do this all the time...?

Downvotes? Philistines!

Or possibly serves me right for not putting a big 'this might perhaps not be a serious remark to be taken at face value' on the last sentence even though it already had what I thought was some fairly well signposted wording. Maybe I should have added a 'splendidly' and a 'magnificent' just to be sure.

Or maybe I should have also flagged 'law enforcement documentaries'?

But I will learn from this experience. After sulking.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> and “the defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.”

Nice to see law enforcement officers realising the difference.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm an amendment to be...

Yup. They need an amendment to clear that up. "There's a lot of flag burners, who have got too much freedom; I wanna make it legal for policemen, to beat 'em"

4. Florida1920
    Facepalm

Klutz and Klutz

At age 45 he must have been close to serving 20 years, enough to retire. He can kiss that pension good-bye if convicted. Entrepreneurial my butt. He was stupid and lazy.

5. All names Taken
    Joke

Tee hee!

Did he install the kit when rest of squad were asleep?

If so, his defense could be NYPD/FBI negligence and lack of due diligence?

6. David Pollard

How did he come to be charged?

Did he fail to cut colleagues in on the deal, or what?

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: How did he come to be charged?

Most likely reason why, yes.

7. John H Woods Silver badge

point of order...

... as to whether using secret cameras to capture passwords and other information really counts as "hacking"...?

1. wayward4now

Re: point of order...

Nope, just plain ole stealing, like any other common criminal. Nothing new to see here folks, please move along.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like