back to article Insert coin to continue: GameOver ZeuS zombie MUTATES, shuffles back to its feet

The resurfaced GameOver bot is back with a vengeance, having infected 12,000 computers after the network was taken down in June, according to Arbor Networks. The bot was taken out in June in a coordinated and high-profile crackdown by security companies and the FBI and Europol. Servers and domains were seized, disrupting both …

1. psychonaut

snigger...

bot masters

ahh, always make me giggle.

"hi, my names brian, im the chief bot master round here...."

"oh, and sergey, hes the goto man for *fanny packs...just tap him up if you need one"

*for our yank friends, fanny means c*nt over here. fanny pack....fnnnarr yurk yurk gibber gibber

**oh, and bot could mean bottom. or arse. or ass, if you are a septic

1. RAMChYLD
      Coat

Re: snigger...

> bot masters

> ahh, always make me giggle.

Indeed, it makes me think of that campy French cartoon from my primary school years. Didn't really like it but eh, I didn't have cable or any form of Pay TV at that time and could only get terrestrial channels (of which there was only three).

The one with the anaglyph 3D glasses in the front pocket, thanks.

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge

The botnet is dead, long live the botnet.

I've noted a significant increase in emails arriving at our mail server with infected attachments over the last few weeks, I used to see three or four deliveries a week on most addresses but recently we've been seeing three or four a day on each address. Our AV scanning rules stops them but the increase indicates that the networks are being re-established.

One curious thing is that we're seeing viral email delivery attempts to email addresses that would make logical sense but have never been used, suggesting that they're getting a lot more creative with their infection attempts and no longer simply harvesting email addresses from the web or using old mailing lists. There's a silver lining to every cloud - this does save me the trouble of seeding the honeypots.

3. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Takedowns

" that botnet takedowns could only deliver a coup de grâce if bot masters were excuted."

There, fixed that for you.

1. Steven Roper

Re: Takedowns

" that botnet takedowns could only deliver a coup de grâce if bot masters were PUBLICLY executed."

There, fixed that for you again!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what do you mean by this?

"It targeted mostly internet service providers and others operating in the telco space."

Does this mean that its only targetting people with jobs? Or is specifically targetting customer service reps in order to increase the value per infection?

5. Inachu

I would make it a lot serious for running these bots.

If caught and found guilty in the court of law then mandatory sex change will be in place.

1. Steven Roper

Never mind a sex change, these vermin incense me to the point where I want to advocate bringing back hanging, drawing and quartering.

6. ecofeco Silver badge

Recurring Z

Z for zombie.

Coincidence?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like