back to article Cortana on Windows 10 is all talk, no apps shun, says Microsoft

Microsoft’s Cortana voice-controlled digital assistant is being opened up so apps can use it for processing spoken commands, according to a presentation at the US giant's WinHEC event in Shenzhen, China. Cortana has several party tricks. One is to understand your speech, using a voice-recognition engine built into Windows. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting article recommended by Cortana…

how the number of bugs is going UP… considering there are other Windows 10 articles that could have been chosen.

The question is, sure the apps are all talk, but are they any action?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Interesting article recommended by Cortana…

Considering Cortana has to put up with Microsoft all day, I find the article chosen a sign of intelligence.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Captain Scarlet

Except your PA can make you a cuppa!

2. Code For Broke

Common, you PA is a real person. Don't make a joke of him or her.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Tom 35

So is the privacy agreement going to be any better then Googles?

5. Queasy Rider

Will developers take up this opportunity?

I think the greater question should be, "will hackers take up this opportunity?" I would like to know what the security implications are of this cross-app development.

1. Cliff

Re: Will developers take up this opportunity?

So developers will have to deal with siri, Google and Cortana - looks like the next step might be a virtual assistant abstraction layer...

6. James Loughner
    Big Brother

Phone home

Must it phone home to process the speech thus having all your speech possible on Windows servers some where???

1. Teiwaz

Re: Phone home

They'd be stupid to go the google route.

Not least since the speech recognition on earlier versions of Windows was already quite good, (provided your spent some time training it).

These server-connected voice recognition implementations are only good for gathering information for whatever 'big brother' wants and misinterpreting anybody with an unusual accent.

"See ya at ten" you might say, it interprets this as Syria flight at ten, then you get raided...

7. Sgt_Oddball

If they promise to make it work for cars they've got my interest.

i hate with a passion how dumb Google voice is where even simple functions like dictating a text is all but impossible (the damn thing won't read it back to you it instead wants you to read it. *face palm*) so if it actually works with more than just voice dialing and its smart enough to read back you it'd get my interest.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

I use it in the car to listen to texts and reply to them via the cars sound system and it's pretty damn good, probably about 95% accurate, but easy to just add or start over when it does go round. Freaks the kids out.

But it does need a decent connection to work.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I use it for that too and it works well. What I also found quite cool is when I opened cortana on the win10 preview it was displaying all the same info in the same format as it was on my winphone. I like the commuting function too. It learns when you're leaving from home\work and tells you how long and what the traffic is like on your commute.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

It's been backdoored to allow NSA to remotely enable listening-in, of course.

9. Dan 55 Silver badge
    WTF?

Here's some info for your evening

Society still sliding slowly but inexorably towards self destruction.

Have a nice evening!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

If anyone can do it...

I'm still one of the old boring blokes who has an early generation Windows Phone (WP 7.5) and although it has a few flaws I have to say that the voice recognition is pretty slick, and quite easy to use too. I simply keep the main Win button pressed, I hear a short musical notification and I can issue a command. Like "call family" or "search snowden" and so on.

Even though I use Dutch stuff on a phone which has been set to an English language (partly to activate these features but also because I prefer English here) things work out pretty neatly.

So yah, if someone can pull this off its Microsoft for sure. The only thing I don't get is why I'd want to use this on my desktop. I don't really...

11. The Grump
    Windows

Oh Cortana...

Can Cortana set up my Raid 1 array automatically ? Somehow, I doubt it. I have been trying to set Raid 1 up using Windows 7 Ultimate, with no luck.

I expect Win10 to be a gussied-up version of Win8 (think "putting lipstick on a pig"). MS lost a LOT of street cred with the disaster that is Win8.

1. Atonnis

Re: Oh Cortana...

It did with Windows Me as well....and XP in its earliest iterations (until SP2 it wasn't that good - XP fans always seem to forget that), and Vista....

....so far Windows 10 has actually been quite good, and improving rapidly. The latest build is OK, but you can see where improvement still needs to be made. However, if you read the feedback app you'll see a lot of relevant and good feedback is going back to MS -here's just hoping they listen...

12. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Certainly possible

"A Cortana app may also come to iOS and Android, though not necessarily with the same level of integration and extensibility."

The level of integration in Android *could* be pretty high; it could register as a speech-recognition engine and whatever apps already support voice recognition would use it (although this wouldn't include much in terms of actual integration, just an alternate voice recognition engine).

Android also supports having your app check for the existence of, say, microsoft.cortana.register, if it exists calling it to register either a callback or a interprocess communications ID number. (Either so you can use Cortana in your app, or if your app handles appointments or something, to tell Cortana this.) Then (if you want to use Cortana in your app), when someone pushes "the cortana button" in your app, you could call (say) microsoft.cortana.process and have cortana get the result to you by either calling your callback code or sending an interprocess communications message to your process. Some Android apps are pretty monolithic, but Android fully supports calling bits and bobs of your app from another app (with the option of the programmer disabling this availability if your app wasn't designed with this in mind, to avoid security or reliability issues.)

Don't get me wrong, I can't speculate if Microsoft will make a fully-integrated Cortana for Android or not; but the Android design makes it relatively easy to do if they wish.

13. Atonnis

Cortana, Cortana, everywhere...

So....when my Xbox eventually (I'm not in the US so I don't get these things that early) gets Cortana, and my Phone has Cortana, and my PC has Cortana...will there then be a microphone device that processes all Cortana requests and sends them to the relative device? I'm dreading asking Cortana to do something and watch half my living room suddenly go nuts.

Also, can we PLEASE use different names for the service. I'll admit I'm not a massive Halo fan, although I've enjoyed some of the games, but that's irrelevant. I want to be able to call up Zen to do one thing, ORAC to do another, etc... (yes, it's been my dream since I was tiny to have a Zen of my own (Blakes 7 reference, for the kids).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like