back to article Man hauled before beak for using drone to film Premiership matches

A Nottingham man has been summonsed to court for allegedly breaching the Air Navigation Order while filming Premier League matches using a drone. Nigel Wilson, 42, of Rockingham Grove, Bingham, Nottingham has been summoned to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on April 16 in relation to 17 alleged offences under the Air …

1. TWB

Can't think of a title

As someone who would not notice if all football disappeared from the planet tomorrow - I really liked the footage, makes it look quite exciting.

BUT I am with the law on this one, I think flying a small drone over a built up area like this is too risky unless it has loads of built in safety features. I hope he gets a knuckle rap but somehow gets to do this kind of thing professionally in the future.

1. Danny 14

Re: Can't think of a title

The footage reminded me of playing kick off 2 on the amiga.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not dangerous, Actually need *less* restriction and less paranoia

Risky of what? The vast majority of consumer drones are less than 1kg in weight and use plastic propellors that in the worse case leave a few scratches. You are far more likely to be more seriously injured by someone on a bike. Chances of damaging a building are virtually nothing, they can bounce of a window without even breaking the glass.

Rather than all this scaremongering and paranoia, it would be far more useful if there was a seperate category for harmless drones of maybe 2kg or less with more far fewer restrictions. Then they would have the resources to monitor the heavier, larger ones that actually could be dangerous more closely without criminalising dads buying toys from maplin and tourists snapping pics of landmarks.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not dangerous, Actually need *less* restriction and less paranoia

I have flown a typical consumer drone into myself at speed to demonstrate how safe they are. The scratches were not any worse than falling into a thorny bush. These horror stories that they are going to knock people out or decapitate them are simply ridiculous and not remotely realistic.

1. Rob Crawford

Tell you what you stand there and take a hit from a set of 10 inch carbon fibre props and tell me what you think afterwards.

Additionally if you haven't had a failure, props snapping, ESC burning out, loss of or a dozen other problem then you haven't spent much time flying

The point is there there are rules (and some of them are even there for a reason) and as long as you aren't flying close to or over people and it isn't somewhere stupid then you are fairly much going to be OK

I also seem to remember that this idiot also flew around Westminster (and similar locations) and yeah what possible harm could come from flying (somewhat poorly I may add) over central London streets?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

@AC's, I suppose you also wouldn't have a problem with one of these things falling out of the sky into your windscreen whilst you wre driving along? Or how about a straight down drop of a 1kg object from a couple of hundred feet up down onto someone's head?

You need _some_ rules in a society you know, sensible ones that is. Stopping any tit with a dodgy drone from filling the skies with these objects seems sensible to me.

2. the spectacularly refined chap

I have flown a typical consumer drone into myself at speed to demonstrate how safe they are. The scratches were not any worse than falling into a thorny bush. These horror stories that they are going to knock people out or decapitate them are simply ridiculous and not remotely realistic.

It is not often a post here actually gets me angry but this has managed it. I've had an electric shock on a few occasions and always gotten away with it - usually just a tingle, once a jolt, but never any injuries. From this limited anecdote and using your logic we can conclude that the entire electrical safety code is superfluous and can be dispensed with.

Widespread use of drones may be fairly new, but model aircraft are not and they share most of the legislation. There is also a track record involving property damage, personal injury and occasional deaths - only every few years on average, but yes, they have happened and will continue to do so. This is why most official model flying sites demand insurance and a BMFA certificate showing competence on the the part of the pilot.

You ignore all this, break the existing law (which, surprise, surprise, doesn't allow you to fly into people) and endanger not just yourself but anyone in three mile radius of yourself - after all you could have been incapacitated by this stunt, leaving an out of control model on the loose endangering everyone in the neighbourhood.

This does not make the case for deregulation, quite the opposite. The established model flying community shit themselves when they hear of antics such as this. They have spent decades promoting responsibility and working with regulators to get the law to the the relatively encumbered form that it is today. That is always at risk whenever stories of mindless yobs pulling reckless stunts (like your own actions) receive attention.

1. rvt

Yup, that happens : http://nypost.com/2013/09/05/man-decapitated-by-remote-controlled-toy-helicopter/

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@the spectacularly refined chap I'll be careful not to walk past any thorny bushes or vicious looking cats just in case I leave myself incapacitated by tiny scratches! Who left that ream of paper on the desk? the paper cuts could be deadly!

If you do an actual risk assesment instead of talking complete nonsense, there was no danger whatsoever to myself or anyone else. No laws were broken whatsoever, and if by remote chance the drone managed to get out of control I would have been impressed to see how it would have escaped the building to hunt someone down 3 miles away!

If large drones are dangerous, restrict large drones. If carbon propellers are dangerous, ban carbon propellers. Treating massive camera rigs the same as harmless toys is what is reckless.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

if by remote chance the drone managed to get out of control I would have been impressed to see how it would have escaped the building to hunt someone down 3 miles away!

Ever heard of gravity? Engine trouble isn't picky, it can happen to anyone. It may be a lightweight device, but it's not a glider so it will pick up some serious kinetic energy on the way down (assuming no air resistance it would be in the 150kmh/90mph range if it failed 100m up, but even half that is enough for serious damage).

Responsible flight is about planning for emergencies too. Flying that high about a crowded place leaves zero margin for errors - that's not for amateurs.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

If you ignore air resistance then the drone couldn't be flying up there in the first place.

2. the spectacularly refined chap

If you do an actual risk assesment instead of talking complete nonsense, there was no danger whatsoever to myself or anyone else. No laws were broken whatsoever, and if by remote chance the drone managed to get out of control I would have been impressed to see how it would have escaped the building to hunt someone down 3 miles away!

If there was no risk what was the point of the experiment? Why is it worth reporting here? The hazard is what leands notability. Since it is clearly there you acted recklessly and yes you broke the law. The staute book does not alter what it says according to the ego of the pilot.

3. NightFox

There's plenty of instances of people being killed by radio controlled planes or helicopters - "drones" is just a modern catch-all that's made an enthusiasts' hobby acceptably main-stream; they're not just the things that weigh about as much as a gnat and startle the cat if they drop out of the sky and land on it.

1. Tom 7

Planes can go very fast and helicopters have open blades - almost all drones propellers are in cowlings and the thing doesnt move anywhere near as fast as even a toy glider.

I'm not saying they're not potentially dangerous but they are more of a choking hazard.

1. Rob Crawford

I suggest you don't know what you are talking about.

My small 250 machine will happily hit around 50 mph and my fat bird is a bit slower (but much heavier)

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
                Joke

" My small 250 machine will happily hit around 50 mph and my fat bird is a bit slower (but much heavier)"

Don't let her hear you calling her that!

4. Yugguy

I'm not afraid of being hurt by them, I just don't fancy being filmed by some annoying droning, buzzing thing that won't fuck off.

If I see one over hovering over my back garden I WILL try and knock it out of the sky if it doesn't go away.

5. PNGuinn
          FAIL

Would you want an eyefull though? Consider the number of closely packed pairs of eyes in a (probably somewhat noisy?) stadium, all of which are focused on the action on the pitch rather than the sky.

1. Rob Crawford

Fairly typical 10 inch prop injury from a smallish quad (do a quick web search and you will find considerably worse examples)

Not too pleasant therefore replace the xx to go there

hxxps://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIpRBEORN-tBt7lacOsS_Ra3yiRcvaKkkWs83jRLdJCDeCujUQZw

6. Jamie Jones Silver badge
          Boffin

" I have flown a typical consumer drone into myself at speed to demonstrate how safe they are. The scratches were not any worse than falling into a thorny bush."

You, of course,, repeated this scientific experiment with your 3 year old child / arthritic grandmother / heavily pregnant wife as test subjects?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There was the brainless muppet late last year who was flying his in Thames barrier park close to the London City approach, at about the same altitude as aircraft on the glideslope, as shown in one of his videos. His was a couple of hundred yards away, but given the occasional habit DJIs have of going randomly AWOL, it would get very messy if it got into an engine intake.

So I'd say restrictions where appropriate and a bit more intelligence from some users, lest we end up with draconian measures and a few people taken to the cleaners as examples.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah yet another idiot who perjurers themself by posting on social media.

1. John Bailey

"Ah yet another idiot who perjurers themself by posting on social media."

Or incriminated even..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@JB

I've just incriminated myself of using bad English, guilty as charged mi lud.

The irony, yet another victim of social media goes to the clink :)

2. Shrek
      Coat

Perjures?

Admittedly this is somewhat pedantic - but have the perjured themselves? Incriminated, yes, but unless they've lied to the police/courts then I don't think it's perjury... Sorry I'll get me coat.

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Perjures?

Perjury is lying under oath so this chap hasn't perjured himself. Now if you talked about incriminating himself...

Interesting snippet - the plea ("guilty or not guilty?") is not taken under oath.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Perjures?

>Interesting snippet - the plea ("guilty or not guilty?") is not taken under oath.

That is an interesting snippet. There isn't a penalty for perjury for pleading not guilty if you are then convicted, but in reality pleading guilty early will often result in a reduction of the eventual punishment.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Things may go up and things may come down

Like the tons of rocks that will hit you when your drone falls out of the sky and hits someone on the head.

Where's your insurance cover for such things?

Even 2kg of plastic falling on someone from 100+ ft will hurt if not cause actual damage.

Remember the Acceleration due to gravity.... Assming no air resistance something falling from 30m will be going at approx 25m/sec when it hits the ground.

I don't usually agree with their Lordships but this time I'm on their side

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Things may go up and things may come down

"Assming no air resistance something falling from 30m will be going at approx 25m/sec when it hits the ground."

Except that in some cases, real-world air resistance *will* make a massive difference to that figure. Not that it's clear how much it would apply to a drone, but assuming no air resistance, a feather dropped from a plane at 30,000 feet would be going in the ballpark of 400 m/s when it hit the ground! (*)

FWIW, I'm now genuinely curious as to what sort of damage a feather travelling at 400 m/s would cause if it hit you in the face. :-O

(*) Assuming this site is correct *and* I've used it correctly:- http://www.gravitycalc.com/

2. bpfh
      Trollface

Re: Things may go up and things may come down

You are implying that the drone jockey who has just inadvertantly brained someone is going to hang around and leave his phone number as opposed to pocketing the controller and legging it in the other direction?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RC Drones.

How can they prove he didn't have a spotter who kept line of sight for him?

As far as I'm aware small multirotor aircraft have yet to kill someone.

The real danger with this scenario is if the police helicopter was in the area and its tail rotor collided with the drone.

An FPV enthusiast (wife won't let me afford a pair of fat sharks yet)

1. the spectacularly refined chap

Re: RC Drones.

How can they prove he didn't have a spotter who kept line of sight for him?

The pilot has to keep direct line of sight. You can have a helper (for example the flag marshall in pylon racing, who indicates when your craft has passed the furthest reach of the course) but you always have to maintain direct line of sight on your own behalf. Saying "I couldn't see it but my spotter could" is actually evidence of your guilt.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Actually, with FPV flying in the UK, you must have a competent observer who maintains unaided visual line of site of the aircraft.

1. the spectacularly refined chap

Actually, with FPV flying in the UK, you must have a competent observer who maintains unaided visual line of site of the aircraft.

Air Navigation Order 2009 article 166:

(3) The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft must maintain direct, unaided visual contact with the aircraft sufficient to monitor its flight path in relation to other aircraft, persons, vehicles, vessels and structures for the purpose of avoiding collisions.

1. CurryKitten

FPVUK.org got an exemption to the original ANO (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4%20No.%201011%20Small%20Unmanned%20Aircraft.pdf)

Which basically says you can have a competent observer watch your craft, but don't go within x metres of people/buildings etc.

From my point of view - I fly FPV on multicopters and planes - it's a fun hobby. I felt these flights were dangerous, and to put it into context I fly by myself (shock - no observer) and go way out of visual sight. However where I fly is in fields with no people/cars/builds etc so when equipment failure happens - and on a quad there are so many single points of failure - I just have a long muddy walk.

So my issues with these flight is flying above people, he wasn't thinking of the worst case scenario which is failure, and the quad becomes a brick. Yep they aren't that heavy until one falls on you from 200m up.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

No that is not the case. The rule says you must have a spotter who can directly warn the pilot of danger. There is no requirement for a buddy box.

5. Dave 126 Silver badge

Screw the legal aspect for a moment...

...and tell us what crazy battery technology he was using to keep a drone in the air for 45 minutes!

What was he using and where can I get some!

1. PNGuinn
      FAIL

Re: Screw the legal aspect for a moment...

Interesting thought. Taking a tangent to your post ...

What would it do to me if it hit me on the head etc etc?

Serious battery technology = serious weight = bigger drone = more potential damage / injury.

Several small drones cycled = risk of collisions.

No, just NO.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Screw the legal aspect for a moment...

Hmm, all of those football spectators must give off a bit of body heat - is there any drone that ride the thermals like a kestrel?

For his purposes, a small blimp might be better - and safer. Obviously there are some very well funded outfits looking into methods for observing an area for long periods of time... though something that can be taken out with an air-rife is of limited use in areas where the locals will take exception to being spied on.

6. Kevin Pollock

The problem is complex

OK, we absolutely need rules. This guy is an irresponsible idiot in so many ways, and people were definitely in danger as a result of his actions.

The drone he flew is a DJI Phantom of some kind, and as a Phantom owner myself I would not like to be hit by one dropping from a hundred feet or so. The flying weight is 1.2kg.

As somebody already pointed out, there's a lot to go wrong on these (and zero redundancy) so, even if you are flying responsibly, it will drop out of the sky like a brick if (or rather when) something fails.

Thanks to guys like this there will now be an over-reaction by the establishment (and the media). Pretty soon UAV pilots will need to be licensed, registered and insured.

This kind of official certification would be a good thing if the certification was simple and cheap to obtain, and I'd do it in a heartbeat if it meant I got discounted liability insurance, for example. But my guess is that the bureaucrats will make it complex, time-consuming and expensive, and as a result many people will continue to fly their quads "illegally".

1. Ben Norris

Re: The problem is complex

How does a bunch of people flying outside the existing rules make a case for tighter ones when there were no accidents involved in any of them? Surely this makes a case for looser controls?

People are perfectly happy for a lorry to come within 1m of them as it drives by at 60mph yet are terrified of a 1kg drone pootling around at walking pace?

Why are we not seeing thousands maimed already, when there are endless clips on youtube of amateurs flying within inches of their faces? Because the dangers are being wildly overstated.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

How does a bunch of people flying outside the existing rules make a case for tighter ones when there were no accidents involved in any of them? Surely this makes a case for looser controls?

Oh dear, where do I begin. The idea of rules is to manage risk. The issue with risk is that we're dealing with POTENTIAL issues, to prevent anything that goes wrong having more serious consequences.

People are perfectly happy for a lorry to come within 1m of them as it drives by at 60mph yet are terrified of a 1kg drone pootling around at walking pace?

I'm certainly not and you're a *perfect* example why rules need to brought in as apparently you cannot see the fact that a drone doesn't just have controlled forward motion, it also goes upwards.

The problem with "up" is that gravity will convert that into "down" as soon as something breaks. As soon as that happens we're no longer talking about "poodling", you're talking about something that is coming down at a *serious* speed with no longer any options to deflect it.

I assume you're also happily drunk driving because as yet nothing has happened to you?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Ben Norris

The rules only need changing if people flying WITHIN the rules cause (potential) accidents. If they are ignoring the rules anyway, then the rules wern't relevant to that incident. In fact looser rules would mean more people following the parts that ARE important.

I'm not suggesting that anyone should fly a drone drunk. However I'm also not suggesting that we should ban all cars from the road because very occasionally the steering breaks and one veers off the road.

Science tells us what is safe and what isn't. The rules should be based on sense, not a bunch of troglodyte mumbo jumbo.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"I'm also not suggesting that we should ban all cars from the road because very occasionally the steering breaks and one veers off the road."

Perhaps you're not aware, but modern cars (last few decades) all have dual circuit brakes. The result is that even if there is a failure in the brakes, there will still be at least *some* braking capability available. Chances of injury or worse are greatly reduced.

Lack of resilience in braking leads to injury or worse when there is a failure of brakes.

Large quantities of cars on the road means that there is a strong likelihood that unprotected bnrake failure would *frequently* cause injury or worse. So protection is appropriate.

Drones? Individual risk may be relatively small. As the number of drone-flying nutters [1] (some clearly in evidence here) increases, so does the risk of significant damage to people or property.

[1] There are clearly also drone flyers around who are not nutters They're the mostly harmless ones, who are going to find themselves restricted because of the ignorant activities of the nutters.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Plead an interest in football?

That should lead to a reduced sentence as it's obviously linked to insanity.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cool music - can anyone identify it ??

the music in the video here isn't the same as the soundtrack on the videos posted at the youtube account ... can anyone tell me what it is ? thanks in advance ...

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: cool music - can anyone identify it ??

I don't know - have you tried using a Shazam or TrackID app on your phone?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> I don't know - have you tried using a Shazam or TrackID app on your phone?

Dude ... I live in a 'developing country', as in, I count myself lucky those days I have internet access, (I was pretty surprised I even managed to watch the video, in installments, you understand) ... and a bit, just a little bit, of electricity ... day before yesterday had a 15 hour power cut - not unusual ...

I guess I could record it and run it past "Picard I eat music brainz" or whatever that thing's called ...

> .... Propeller Head ...

> ... early Mortiis ...

... thanks for the two more informational comments ...

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge

I don't know, but if you like this sort of stuff, check out the earlier stuff from Mortiis

3. Sarah Balfour

Propellerheads - yes, seriously! - fucked if I can recall the track title, though - the imp that runs my cranial disorganiser has ether joined a union, and is striking, or is dead.

9. David Lawrence

Ban them.

Just another over-priced toy for over-paid twerps. They go into the same bin as mini motos, jet skis, GoPro cameras on bicycles, sports cars, iPhones, iPads etc etc.

Some children really do never grow up, and manufacturers never went broke over-estimating the stupidity of the buying public.

Ban them all I say and a blight of smallpox on all who make them and all who buy them.

1. James Hughes 1

Re: Ban them.

Wow, you must be a really fun guy!

Enjoy your jigsaws!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Took him WEEKS to finish his tiger jigsaw, then he realised he had spilled his Frosties all over the floor...

2. Mike Smith
      FAIL

Read the Daily Mail much?

1. Otto is a bear.

I was just wondering what Mr. Lawrence would consider as valid past times for adults that offeres value for money. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a cheap past time, nor for that matter is there one where someone doesn't consider you a twat for following it.

So gentle readers, what's a cool and cheap past time.

1. Pierson

"I was just wondering what Mr. Lawrence would consider as valid past times for adults that offeres value for money"

As Ivor Biggun once famously sang: "It's available at any time, and it's absolutely free!"

3. Rob Crawford

Nurse, Nurse, the Daily Fail reader has woken up please subdue him before somebody listens to him

4. martinusher Silver badge

The usual reaction to something new is 'ban it', especially for those people who don't have an immediate use for the device. Quite apart from the fun factor a lot of these toys that Mr. Lawrence cites actually have real-world uses -- jet skis, for example, are used extensive by lifeguards, GoPro cameras are extremely useful for figuring out what went wrong when there's an accident, smartphones and tablets are just small computers; an iPad, for example, is pretty much an essential accessory for anyone flying a plane these days. Quadcopters are toys, but they're useful toys because they're a way to get low cost aerial views of anything from your house's roof to the behavior of animals in the wild.

But, after all, what's wrong with fun? Are we so beaten down that we don't only can't enjoy life but we also want to stop others from amusing themselves?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But, after all, what's wrong with fun? Are we so beaten down that we don't only can't enjoy life but we also want to stop others from amusing themselves?

Personally, I'm OK with drones provided they're used with some common sense and respect for other people, and that includes their privacy.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just another over-priced toy for over-paid twerps. They go into the same bin as mini motos, jet skis, GoPro cameras on bicycles, sports cars, iPhones, iPads etc etc.

I would prefer banning being a drone rather than having one..

6. Steven Roper
      Trollface

Nicely trolled David, you reeled in a right bagload, good job mate!

10. Richard C.

What is a drone?

I must admit I'm not sure what actually classifies as a "drone"? Is it just "quad-copters", but what about RC model airplanes and helicopters which have been around for decades? What makes one different from another? Or is "drones" just the new buzzword catch-all term for "remote controlled flying thing" (and then what happens when they aren't RCed but AI controlled)?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

From the CAA:

You must request permission from the CAA if you plan to:

•fly the aircraft on a commercial basis (i.e. conducting ‘aerial work’)

or

•fly a camera/surveillance fitted aircraft within congested areas or closer (than the distances listed within Article 167) to people or properties (vehicles, vessels or structures) that are not under your control

Permission is not required if:

•the aircraft will not be flown close to people or properties, and you will not get ‘valuable consideration’ (i.e. payment) from the flight, then a permission is not needed;

Presumably, he gains revenue form his Youtube channel, so would be in violation of the last point. It is interesting that there have not been any cases of Filming without Permission from the CAA (a Caution was issued in Lancashire though).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

From the article:

"The legal system's primary beef with Wilson seems to be his failure to "maintain direct, unaided visual contact" with his small, unmanned surveillance aircraft"

12. andy gibson

Jealous

Maybe the powers that be are just jealous because he didn't crash it into the Mersey like their plod did:

£13,000 Merseyside Police drone lost as it crashes into River Mersey

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/13000-merseyside-police-drone-lost-3364040

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Jealous

The Plop, that's a Plod's drone department.

13. David Nash Silver badge

Intellectual (?) property

Aside from the safety considerations, I wonder if part of the objection is filming premiership matches, presumably for the benefit of those who haven't paid sky or BT or whoever gets the rights these days.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: Intellectual (?) property

That's right and while we are at it ban all those spectators in the ground I'm sure not all have a Sky sub

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like