back to article Borg to assimilate Square Kilometre Array data

Cisco will open two internet of everything centres in the Australian cities of Sydney and Perth in coming months, in part to develop data-crunching capabilities for the Square Kilometre Array (SKA) and the mining and agricultural sectors. The centres will be the eight and ninth such sheds across Asia and the US and will foster …

1. frank ly

Just wondering

"... Cisco says is worth more than $74 billion in profit to Australia over the next decade."

Are they saying this loud because they're getting generous tax breaks and won't be making any taxable profit in Australia for the next decade? I get more cynical every year.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Just wondering

Profit to Australia = GDP

So Australians paying cable bills to US owned cable giants to watch US tv shows on TVs with a built-in wifi hub somehow translates into $74Bn in IoT profit

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just wondering

"Borg to assimilate Square Kilometre Array data"

The article doesn't actually mention how Google are involved?

2. Sanctimonious Prick
    Black Helicopters

Won't They Be Pissed...

I've heard rumblings that Abbott 'n Co. are looking at scrapping the SKA - which I totally disagree with!

1. Velv
      Boffin

Re: Won't They Be Pissed...

I think you'll find Abbott has very little say in the matter. There's 11 member countries of the SKA Organisation

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Won't They Be Pissed...

>There's 11 member countries of the SKA Organisation

But Australia can cut all the extra funding which allows Australian universities and researchers to actually use it - while keeping to the minimal commitments required by the deal.

Or they can just tear up the agreement - no doubt it would be cheaper in government lawyers to prove that no binding commitment was made to fund it in actual $ etc etc

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like