back to article Adobe: Flash, pah. Look, we're doing just fine in the cloud, thank you

Adobe has reported better-than-expected earnings for the first quarter of 2015 ahead of what it called are strong financial figures. The Silicon Valley stalwart reported haul of $1.11bn in revenues and earnings per share of $0.44, well ahead of analysts' $0.39 estimates. Over the quarter customers downloaded 30m apps and piled …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Paid?

"...Adobe logged 517 thousand new subscriptions for its Creative Cloud service on the quarter"

But how many of those are paid subscriptions? So is it "Adobe Marketing Cloud" or "Adobe Cloudy Marketing"?

1. localzuk Silver badge

Re: Paid?

As far as I can tell, there isn't a "free" subscription available at all. So, I would be assuming that they're all paid for subs.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Paid?

Didn't even bother trying did you? Search for "Free Adobe Cloud". This trial counts as a subscription, at least according to the emails I have received from Adobe ("...to continue your subscroption, visit...blah").

Adobe is shady.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have nothing useful to add

The header just made me think of different image.

http://i.imgur.com/20w3AAX.jpg

(only the sentiment is NSFW)

3. Diogenes

I am one of these

and at $12.50 per ANNUM (thank you employer) it is great value & would be silly not to do it

1. Steven Roper

Re: I am one of these

Until you move to a different company, or your employer changes policy and starts expecting employees to pay their own subs, or Adobe decides to jack up the pricing once it has everyone's work to ransom, and then one day you'll find that all your work for the past however-many-years is no longer accessible or editable. You might not find it such value for money then.

Enjoy. You'll learn. Most likely the hard way. But I, and I'm sure many others, would prefer it if you'd kindly not take the rest of us, who prefer to retain control of our own software assets and data, down with you by funding this execrable rentism business model.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: I am one of these

"But I, and I'm sure many others, would prefer it if you'd kindly not take the rest of us, who prefer to retain control of our own software assets and data, down with you by funding this execrable rentism business model."

...and there's the rub. Those of us who can see the obvious pitfalls are far outnumbered by the sheep who blindly march forward to the slaughterhouse leaving us with no alternative but to follow or leave the game, especially when there's little alternative to what is on offer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like