back to article Nvidia tears wraps off GeForce Titan X (again) and $10,000 GPU brain for DIY self-driving cars

Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang confirmed the arrival of the GeForce Titan X just a few minutes ago today, dubbing it Nvi's fastest single-chip GPU to date. He also showed off two development kits: a $15,000 deep-learning system, and a $10,000 DIY self-driving car brain. The US chip maker's boss was speaking at this year's GPU …

1. phil dude
    Linux

hmmm

the increased memory is welcome if it is flat access.

If this is maxwell, why so hot?

Why is memory bandwidth not increased with cuda cores?

I guess we'll have to wait for the linpack tests...

P.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: hmmm

It has 50% more shaders, 50% more silicon and a 50% wider memory bus than the GTX 980, with three times as much memory, so 50% more power despite a slightly lower core clock isn't terribly surprising.

2. theblackhand

- suspect there will be some memory magic and you won't be able to use the full 12GB, based on the lesser Maxwell's you should get around 10.5GB full speed. Still lots...

- heat is likely related to die size. It is a very big die (harder to cool when everything is busy) and hard to produce flawless dies (due to the number of dies from each wafer) so likely to suffer some leakage.

- Memory bandwidth is bus width x speed - they haven't changed from the GTX Titan Black and based on size/heat, a larger bus would have been a step to far on 28nm process.

- Linpack I can't guess at. Sufficient? :)

1. phil dude
      Boffin

LINPACK is reported as double-precision, which is why Nvidia doesn't talk about it. At 0.2 TFlops it is pretty poor.

I have a few Intel MICs and they all do 2xSP for 1DP so a much more balanced arch. YMMV of course.

They could have made wider memory since there are fewer texture units (which I think carry very fast memory), a 512 bit bus would greatly help utility.

P.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

It has twice the memory of the Titan Black, as you say on the same bus width. I'd say it's all at full speed.

3. stu 4

most trannies on a chip ?

is this the most transistors on a chip ever then ?

8 billion. mental.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: most trannies on a chip ?

But will it run Cry...oh yeah. I see it does.

Re: most trannies on a chip ?

Single-GPU UHD gaming with everything turned to maximum and sensible frame rates. How far we've come...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huang rules....??

"The future of your car will be digital displays, touch, and gesture."

Huang must still be living by Vietnam rules (or wherever he is from), because the first 2 are against road rules in many U.S. states (maybe all?). As far as the gestures, well, turn your blinker off asshole!

P.S. I know it's technically called a "Turn Signal"!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: Huang rules....??

"Your car will be one delightful computer running down the road."

Must.. hold it in.. must not lose it...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

For some reason when I read that, I imagined my car running down the road, then my car BSOD'ing. Of course the driver is out of date :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Better than the JohnnyCab scenario...

5. Leeroy

Competition

Has AMD / ATI got anything that compares to this ?

The integrated AMD APU are awesome for general Win 8 ui compared to their Intel counterparts (price point) I'm just hoping they haven't dropped the ball with the high end stuff.

Would be nice to see some numbers even if they are totally out of the game and going the way of Cyrix.

Re: Competition

Not yet, but the R9 390 looks like it's expected to at least match this when it's launched in the next few months, although whether it's 20nm or 28nm seems to be uncertain.

6. Queasy Rider

Drive PX circuit board cost $10,000

glad to see it's only a dev board. Would hate to see its price added to the cost of my future driverless car.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like