back to article Curiosity rover's broken arm heals, exploration-as-normal resumes

The Curiosity rover's arm is working again! In late February, NASA shut down the robotic limb after a short circuit led to errors. By March 7th, the space agency expressed optimism that the arm would come good. And last week, it did: NASA reports that last Wednesday the nuclear-powered laser-equipped space tank once again …

1. gregthecanuck

Good to hear it's running again!

Onward!

2. thomas k.

um ... who took the picture?

If it's a 'selfie', one would expect to see the arm holding the camera extending past the edge of the picture. Does it have a camera on a tripod which it can set down and then retrieve? Or did it just flag down a passing Martian, "Oi! Take my picture, mate?"

1. DropBear
      Trollface

Re: um ... who took the picture?

The usual explanation for that question (never has been asked before, honest) is that it's always a composite picture, and in the process of merging the photos the arm can always be "edited out" with parts from another picture. Now, you can either take that answer or one of the double-lined tin foil hats I have on offer for a low, low introductory price...

1. Just Enough
        Black Helicopters

Conspiracy in the making

Expect to see this question in a decade time as "undeniable proof" that it was all faked.

2. David Given

Here's an incredibly dull animation showing the precise sequence of movements they use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-7lA30cUJQ

And, in fact, if you look carefully at a picture such as this one:

https://danspace77.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/14-158a.jpg

...and study the protuberance immediately above the bottom left wheel, as you look at the image, you can see blurs and glitches as it moves around. (It's the mount for the camera arm.) They've done a really nice job of the stitching; you'll probably have to zoom in.

3. Uffish

Selfie sticks are banned on Mars.

2. PNGuinn

Nah - twas a passin' injun in the desserts of Alabamy.

Or whatever dessert NASA is faking in these days.

Strawberry fool!

3. jjk

Disappointed

..at the Reg, for missing the obvious Sweeney Todd reference.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fixed by turning it off and on again

If its good enough for Windows it's good enough for nuclear powered laser tanks on another planet.

5. M7S
    Terminator

Self healing machines

Oh goody.

1. Little Mouse

Self healing machines nuclear-powered laser-wielding robots

Zoinks!

1. Refugee from Windows
        Paris Hilton

PTC device

Ah yes, the technological wonder known as the Polyfuse. Take the volts from across it, let it cool and lo and behold it conducts again.

6. gerryg

If NASA made beer...

...it would probably taste better than this

7. Sealand

Another first

First tennis elbow on Mars.

1. PNGuinn
      Mushroom

Re: Another first

Its - just - not - Krikket

8. TRT Silver badge

And then of course I've got this terrible pain...

in all the diodes down my arm.

9. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Here I am, brain the size of a planet and all they ask me is to drill a hole in a rock

10. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Now Curiosity can continue with its important science mission...

> ... a rock dubbed “Telegraph Peak” in a region that's been named “Pahrump Hills”. [...] Next stop: a climb further up Mount Sharp through a feature named “Artist's Drive” where...

Since naming every single rock and feature that Curiosity meets seems to be a necessary part of the science mission, perhaps they could name this spot Cool Hand Fluke?

11. eJ2095

BOFH Robot

This isnt the one where the robot came in a box from the chronicles of BOFH..

Chainsaw etc...

Been a few years

12. Chris G
    Alien

Paperwork

The long wait was for the paperwork to go through for renewal of the Interplanetary Roadside Assistance policy.

Quicker than the last time i renewed my RAC membership.

13. Stevie

Bah!

Must ... sieve ... rock ... aaaAAAAAaaaargh!

14. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

"The sample in question...

...was the one that gave the arm problems back in February."

Yes, I heard that before - a sample, purity, went to great length to get it, resonance cascade...

Now everything is OK, though. Except the arm is now actually a tentacle...

1. Dr. G. Freeman

Re: "The sample in question...

Arm is now a tentacle....

According to elf and safety, Other Steve's arm has always been a tentacle, nothing to do with the resonance cascade, really, nothing at all.

It is absolutely safe to work here, we don't have accidents, we make discoveries.

And that isn't a bin fire, its.... our new secure document system, yes that'll do.

15. Crisp

Well there's no use crying over every mistake

You just keep on trying and hope your arm wont break.

16. Arachnoid

Watch out theyre coming...............

So 7 of 9 used her Borg nano probes to fix the Rover

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like