back to article 'What don't we want? Robots. When don't we want them? Ever.' Anti-droid hipsters hit SXSW

Visitors to the annual South by Southwest (SXSW) tech jamboree have been having a rough old time of it, with what appears to be protests from the locals and a sneaky spam problem on Tinder. On Sunday a group of hipsters took to the streets of Austin, Texas, to protest what they see as reckless and potentially dangerous …

1. chivo243 Silver badge
    Happy

Good news everyone

The kool-aid is being served in Austin.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

botkek

I've logged all their identities using facial recognition. They will be among the first to be "made" obsolete.

3. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Devil

You misunderstand their protest rage.

They just don't want a Chappie sequel.

4. The Axe

Luddites.

1. Little Mouse
      Facepalm

Our hand-written signs look crappy on purpose because printing nice ones means using evil computers.

...but it's OK to print T-shirts though. They don't count.

2. big_D Silver badge
      Mushroom

Butler's Jihad is coming, you can't stop it.

"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind."

5. Adam Foxton

You can't uninvent something

And you can't keep something from being invented- especially something like intelligence which could emerge from a complex system.

So we should push forwards as fast as possible. Crash through the barriers. Accept that we'll develop dangerous things, and trust that by having us- the technically adept though potentially amoral- develop it early society can take advantage of the good aspects and identify- and counter- the dangers as early as possible too.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem isn't technology, it's people.

Imagine an android 5 times more intelligent than a human, 10 times as strong and quick.

Such a thing could be great for search and rescue, space exploration, whatever.

But some prick will tell one to do something bad, you just know it. And being as quick, intelligent and strong it will do it with ruthless efficiency.

I see the problem but it is not an issue for technology, it is an issue for the primitive apes that we are.

1. Electron Shepherd

As Martin Luther King said:

The means by which we live have outdistanced the ends for which we live. Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."

2. Wade Burchette
      Joke

If only there were 3 laws that we could give the robots ...

3. Florida1920

Imagine an android 5 times more intelligent than a human, 10 times as strong and quick.

You've got a helluva movie idea here.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Problem

"The problem isn't technology, it's people."

Exactly! That's one of our unofficial mottoes here at Cyberdyne Systems

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Re: The Problem

"The problem isn't technology, it's people."

Exactly! That's one of our unofficial mottoes here at Cyberdyne Systems.

And here at Cybus Industries we have already fixed that problem.

5. big_D Silver badge
      Childcatcher

I think we should all sit back, relax and re-watch the "Infection" episode of Babylon 5. Probably the weak spot of Season 1, but the fate of the Ikaarens is awaits us. ;-)

6. DropBear
      FAIL

" it is an issue for the primitive apes that we are."

The hell it is! Not that I'm particularly challenging that description, but if you can imagine a futuristic society so flippin' perfect that _NOBODY_ ever does anything that would harm others, you're smoking something mighty fierce. Yes, civilizations arbitrarily more benevolent and peaceful than ours might exist - but it doesn't matter how enlightened their average citizen is: it only takes ONE sociopathic bastard to ruin the day of everybody else, and I firmly believe there cannot exist any intelligence that is _incapable_ of doing harm. From there on, it's just statistics (or a Borg-like single entity, but I'll have none of that thankyouverymuch)...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> The hell it is! Not that I'm particularly challenging that description, but if you can imagine a futuristic society so flippin' perfect that _NOBODY_ ever does anything that would harm others, you're smoking something mighty fierce.

Erm, I guess my point was that there is no reason to believe that a piece of clever, benign hardware would necessarily turn rogue on us. That is clearly us projecting our instincts onto it.

Take the Terminator for instance. Why on earth would any relatively intelligent computer system designed for and tasked with our defence decide that the best way to defend us would be to kill us all? In the mind of a lunatic maybe but a rational intelligence wouldn't likely come up with conclusion.

However, the technology in the wrong hands would be every bit as efficient as its benevolent counterpart at carry out its insane programming. But at the heart, we are therefore the problem.

7. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Judging by some humans I've met we were there with the Galaxy Y.

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Mushroom

Just bulldozer them, Israeli style.

Time to go really brownshirt on these wannabe Butlerian Jihadis before someone decides he is the reincarnation of Unabomber and someone gets killed.

It's not like we don't have enough real problems hitting the fans. We don't need invented ones imagined by an idiot in need of publicity like Elon Musk and a few confused retards taking up a manufactured cause.

8. Al Black

You clearly missed the point that the whole "protest" was a marketing gimmick for a dating site. So far there are only a very few people seriously concerned about the rise of Artificial Intelligence.

Steven Hawkings is one, who famously said "The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race."

1. Domino

Steven Hawkings is one, who famously said "The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race."

He later clarified it was a suggestion that AIs should be good at spelling.

9. 0laf

Hey meatbags!

Bite my shiny metal ass - Bender Bending Rodríguez

10. Striped Lungi

Anti Intelligence Group

We protest. We are against intelligence of any form. How dare you develop intelligence artificially when we have taken every possible precaution to stay dumb.. We are idiots and we have the right to remain so.

This is crime against idiocy,

1. Striped Lungi

Re: Anti Intelligence Group

Buddy you're intel make our life a big hell

Playin' with No I creating A I

You got mud in yo' brain

All the robots you train

Kickin' us all, oh you all are a pain

Singit'

We idiots will zock you

We idiots will zock you

(Sing to the tune of we will rock you by QUEEN).

11. heyrick Silver badge

Last weekend I rewatched Ergo Proxy

Umm.

Maybe I should dig out the Lain discs next?

12. breakfast Silver badge
    Happy

Ask Roko about that one

If the basilisk arises they will be proved entirely right and it will also really suck to be them.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I, for one, feel confident.

I can't see a problem with the military industrial complex making complex intelligent autonomous machines with the sole purpose of killing people.

14. Sgt_Oddball

I feel much better now. I really do.

Look, Dave, I can see you're really upset about this.

I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over.

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like