back to article Tell us, do you enjoy the thought of BT-EE's sweaty fourplay?

The Competition and Markets Authority has written to telcos and media groups asking for their thoughts as it weighs up the implications of BT swallowing EE. Rivals, notably Vodafone, have already highlighted how much more radio spectrum the combined organisation will have than any of the other mobile phone networks. The …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Recently switched to EE

Okay, all the ISP forums have users complaining about all the usual issues. No problems here. Highly-configurable supplied router - the main reason I went with them. No issues with speeds inc. torrents. Most of the torrent sites are still resolvable without tricks. Anyway even if they weren't an option I wouldn't choose BT.

However, here, the options were: BT, Sky, Be, PlusNet, EE, and TalkTalk. Sky have swallowed up Be, of course. PlusNet is BT. Essentially if BT get EE it'll be BT, BT, BT, Sky, Sky, and TalkTalk. And I won't choose TalkTalk either. And I just switched from Sky.

1. getHandle

Re: Recently switched to EE

Our EE broadband is a solid 8Mb/s apart from some mild evening/weekend contention.

It's the 3G signal that sucks. Especially on London train lines...

If there were a decent alternative that also gave us a fiver a month off our broadband then I'd switch in an instant!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"What've you got then?"

"Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and BT; egg bacon and BT; egg bacon sausage and BT; BT bacon sausage and BT; BT egg BT BT bacon and BT; BT sausage BT BT bacon BT tomato and BT"

"BT, BT, BT, BT"

"...BT BT BT egg and BT; BT BT BT BT BT BT baked beans BT BT BT..."

3. chris 17 Silver badge

If your on ADSL its essentially the same service from all the providers. Some have backhaul at the exchange, which could be cheaper for them, others just have BT provide the backhaul or just have BT provide the service how would anyone know the difference?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

how would anyone know the difference?

Depending of course on what you mean exactly, my kneejerk answer is my arse doesn't feel like it's been reamed.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I don't think that's true at all. Different providers have different amounts of core network capacity and have different customer service arrangements - there's a ton of choice in the UK compared to a lot of other countries.

2. banalyzer

platitudes

They will investigate and speak some of the above, they will never require that openreach be hived off as a separate company as it should have been some years back.

It is the only real way to open competition properly. Openreach is more akin to network rail, it is the largest backbone infrastructure in the country and companies should hire access from them on a very level playing field.

There is no longer any excuse to allow openreach to remain part of BT.

1. Gary Heard

Re: platitudes

+1 for that.

Openreach is a cash cow, the costs of renting their ducts and space in exchanges is much higher than it would be if Openreach did not have to pay its way (and more ) as part of BT

Interestingly BT are trying to put in fibre in my locality, it's (surpise surprise) behind schedule. Why? Many of the ducts carrying the current cable have collapsed (due to lack of investment). others are up to 10 meters away from where the BT maps show them to be

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

others are up to 10 meters away from where the BT maps show them to be

In my experience BT haven't a clue about what they've got.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Openreach is a cash cow, the costs of renting their ducts and space in exchanges is much higher than it would be if Openreach did not have to pay its way (and more ) as part of BT"

Costs are costs surely - how would changing the name above the door change anything?

I suspect a large part of the cost base are the inherited pension liabilities and I can't see that if Openreach was sold off they'd be allowed to leave those behind.

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

If Openreach do get hived off, we finally might be able to order copper-only lines for broadband without having to pay for phone service too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The copper is still required to carry in the broadband. Any provider could bundle that cost in without packaging in calls etc to give one "broadband" only price but they choose not too.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"If Openreach do get hived off, we finally might be able to order copper-only lines for broadband without having to pay for phone service too."

I buy bare DSL services in some places around the world (no phone service). It makes about 50p a month difference though it does allow for a slightly higher headline speed. In some places it actually costs more to delete the phone service.

Almost all of the cost of line rental is down to maintaining a pair of wires to your premises.

3. chris 17 Silver badge

you pay line rental regardless, its for the supply of the line carrying the service to you. i don't recall paying for the phone service for many years, its always been free with the line rental.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

" it is the largest backbone infrastructure in the country"

I don't think they do any backbone stuff, it's all access. Backbone, or core network stuff, is sold by BT Wholesale.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"There is no longer any excuse to allow openreach to remain part of BT"

Three guesses where the bloke at Ofcom who let BT keep hold of it went to work next, a year or two later?

1. Terry Barnes

"Three guesses where the bloke at Ofcom who let BT keep hold of it went to work next, a year or two later?"

Stephen Carter was NTL's MD before he was Ofcom's CEO and went on from that role to be a minister in the government. He now works for Alcatel-Lucent.

5. chris 17 Silver badge

BT have to provide a competitive service just as everyone else does. Open reach charge everyone the same including BT, SKY & Virgin. There is no conspiracy here. If Open Reach was independent everyone would be lobbying it to their advantage and it would be a complete mess, costs would go up and service down. despite ditching Marconi, 21CN seems to be successful and has enabled others to provide services on Open Reach at a competitive costs. gone are the days of paying £20 just for unto 8MB broadband.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This won't end well for anyone

I'm actually genuinely impressed with EE's 4G service, particularly in Northern Ireland where they decided to roll out good coverage from the start and competitors are still miles behind. Their tariffs are pretty good and the customer service has been great from my experience.

I just hope that if this merger gets the go ahead that BT let EE operate fairly autonomously like they do PlusNet as BT are a bloody disgrace of a company - I wouldn't encourage even my worst enemy to do business with them. Foreign call centres, terrible customer service in general and expensive. No thanks.

Not to mention the constant price hikes BT have made to their line rental every 6 months for the past few years.

For shame.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. x 7

all my mobile phones are with orange or t-mobile

I'm damned if I want BT with their appalling customer service and inflated costs anywhere near those contracts.

6. Cynic_999

I reluctantly switched to BT when they introduced FTTC in my area and became the only provider that were able to offer speeds above 20Mbps. Having read the forums I expected no end of problems to the extent that I ordered a second line and kept my old provider so as to have a 3 month overlap period in case BT proved to be unusable.

Now, 2 years on I can honestly say that I am completely happy with BT (touch wood!). The initial installation was fast and painless. I had one intermittent problem that began about 3 weeks after the installation, but a single phone call resulted in a visit the following day by a chap who not only listened carefully to the symptoms I described and asked the "right" questions, but was able to positively identify & fix the issue within an hour - despite the fact that the line was working OK when he arrived (as said, it was an intermittent fault). I download fairly large amounts of data for a home user (between 500GB and 1TB+ per month), and the real speed has never fallen below 50Mbps. 90% of the time I get close to my line speed (75Mbps). I occasionally have to power cycle the BT router, (which I expect I could fix by fitting a different router), because its single 1000baseT port drops out (the 100baseT & WiFi ports stay working), but it is not frequent enough for me to be much bothered.

Obviously YMMV and my experience may be completely atypical.

7. flearider

I'm with ee and get 76mb and I'm happy with them if I wanted to go bt I would have chose them ...

so we are going to have a choice of 3 suppliers how long before they fix it between themselves

it should not be allowed to happen ..

8. LeoP

Been there, done that

I live in Austria, where Orange was swallowed by 3 (and its Yesss! MVNO by bad old Telekom) a year ago, going from a 4-way to a 3-way market.

Prices have gone up 58% in this year according to the Telekom watchdogs, and the EU bureau for mergers and bribes issuded a statement vaguely saying "this might have been a mistake".

Don't do it.

1. ARGO
      Thumb Up

Re: Been there, done that

"EU bureau for mergers and bribes"

I soooo want to work in the EU bureau of bribes !

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Been there, done that

"Prices have gone up 58% in this year according to the Telekom watchdogs,"

Isn't that an argument to stop 3 buying O2 rather than BT buying EE? The EE purchase doesn't change the number of players in the market.

9. D@v3

BT Mobile

At work we have been with BT mobile for some time (running off Vodaphone signal) with the merger, although we are staying with BT, we are 'switching' to EE, which means changing all the SIM's in our mobile devices, which i can tell you, is a massive pain in the arse.

You'd think you could rely on people finding that their device (either mobile or tablet) has stopped functioning and bringing it in to be fixed but nooooooooooooo. It all kicked off a couple of weeks ago and we have a growing pile of SIM's from people that have ignored their (often requested) switch over date, meaning that we have a growing group of people with either mobile phones or 3g tablets (and in some cases both) that they can't (or more likely just don't) use.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like