back to article BBC websites GO TITSUP – Auntie blames 'internal system failure'

The BBC is suffering a major outage, after its websites – including News and the public service broadcaster's iPlayer system – buckled in the past hour. It's unclear, at time of publication, what was behind the Beeb's technical woes. An unknown number of people attempting to visit various online BBC services were greeted with …

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Trollface

Clarkson?

Punched the server?

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Clarkson?

Some people blame Clarkson, some claim it was hackers, But everyone else knows it was... The Stig.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Football

The BBC sports football page is crap anyway - too slow and too much going on as with all these types.

Try 'livescore' - I have been using it for at least 16 years:

http://www.livescore.com/soccer/england/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Football

You'd think that from all of these results sites that I can find one in which Newcastle United actually do win a game!

AC - Because I don't need the pity^d^d^d^d abuse

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Finally

Got to read about the wheels for the supersonic car: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31845234#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa

It's enough to give you an organism!

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Finally

I'm curious ... what sort of organism?

Like algae or wood lice?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. phil dude
          Paris Hilton

ahhh, the hot teacher. The opportunity to be wrong in so many ways...

Paris, obviously wrong every time...

P.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Tiefenbrun: a fine Scottish engineering name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivor_Tiefenbrun

4. James 51

Was just able to go to www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer and start watch the 6 nations streaming.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In such times, fire up the Android and into the Catch Up TV app and the match is on there.

5. Mage Silver badge

also

http://www.bbc.com/news/ was down too.

6. Z80

I even resorted to the Text only link on the error 500 page only to be given a message along the lines of "we don't do that any more".

1. Cliff

500 Error

In fairness, isn't that the best 500 image you've seen in a while?

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Re: 500 Error

Not seen it. I'm with TalkTalk and they serve a page of helpful* links instead.

*For ultra low values of helpful.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. ideapete
    Pint

Beeb is

We are the BBC we are a technical problem - so there

9. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Maybe they should have shown a potter's wheel or maybe a small girl playing noughts & crosses on a blackboard.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I miss the test card. I also miss ceefax. The digital text stuff we have these days is inferior in every way. Back in the old days, you'd press the text button, and it'd appear. These days, you press the text button, and you wait 5 - 10 seconds. Then when it appears, there is way less info than there was in the old days of teletext. I'm fairly sure this isn't just nostalga from me : ceefax and oracle were better than the modern equivalents.

10. Trainee grumpy old ****
    Trollface

Wonder if anyone will come up with

"This just goes to show why we need more Digital!"

11. ashdav

Radio Feeds

I just wish they would sort out the radio feeds (all of them) so they don't cut off after 30-60 secs.

They never used to so obviously they've been "IMPROVED".

1. TheProf
      Happy

Re: Radio Feeds

I use a web browser to listen to the Popmaster quiz on Radio 2 every weekday at 10:30am. I can't say that I've had any real trouble for ages. (With the streaming. My pop knowledge is 50%.) Oh wait, once last week I had to use a 'real' radio but that's the only instance in many months.

12. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge
    Joke

If the Beeb were in the cloud

They could say they had a cirrus problem

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like