back to article Well.That.Sucks: New rude dot-word sparks outrage

The top-level domain .sucks will launch later this month, sparking a fresh round of controversy over what is rapidly becoming the most notorious internet registry. Even before the current owner, Vox Populi, won the rights to run all .sucks domains in an auction – paying an estimated $3m for the pleasure – the domain was the …

1. Graham Marsden
    Trollface

So shall we save up for...

... icann.sucks ?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$10 for regular domains?!

Wow, I love it. How did this ever survive the ICANN gTLD dispute gauntlet? Oh yeah, ICANN wants the money.

3. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Someone should register the British version...

.isnotallthatgoodactually

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Someone should register the British version...

.doesntexciteme

.seenbetter

.yawn

.nope

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

I prefer .estmerde

Sometimes you just have to go with the elegance of French.

4. Jamie Jones Silver badge
    FAIL

No-one here is surprised...

This short of shit is the tip of the iceberg.

What about .reallysuck, .really-sucks .sucks-big-time etc.etc.

Another more important thing....

Type

ping android

at the command line.. Something I noticed when I'd forgotten that I'd changed the name of one of my devices to something less generic...

Lovely

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: No-one here is surprised...

Isn't that just highlighting the fact your network is trying to resolve a name it doesn't understand based on a previous assumption that a locally invented TLD doesn't exist in the real world of the interwebs?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: No-one here is surprised...

No. This isn't about pseudo top level domains, but the way hostnames can be represented dotless within their local domain.

Using the "domain" or "search" commands within /etc/resolv.conf to add the domain name automatically to dotless host names is a well established mechanism, and has been the default on UNIX systems since forever.

From resolv.conf(5):

domain

• Local domain name. Most queries for names within this domain can use short names relative to the local domain. If no domain entry is present, the domain is determined from the local host name returned by gethostname(3); the domain part is taken to be everything after the first ‘.’. Finally, if the host name does not contain a domain part, the root domain is assumed.

search

• Search list for host-name lookup. The search list is normally determined from the local domain name; by default, it contains only the local domain name. This may be changed by listing the desired domain search path following the search keyword with spaces or tabs separating the names. Most resolver queries will be attempted using each component of the search path in turn until a match is found. Note that this process may be slow and will generate a lot of network traffic if the servers for the listed domains are not local, and that queries will time out if no server is available for one of the domains.

The issue isn't so much the new domains as such, more the practice of allowing dotless domains (I.e. the top level) resolve A/AAAA/MX records.

A study was done, and it was determined that this shouldn't happen. However, ICANN rejected that proposal.

Paul Vixie on the subject: http://www.circleid.com/posts/20110620_domain_names_without_dots/

And here is the SSAC recommendation

Also see: http://www.ipmirror.com/news/updates/icann-new-gtlds-status

5. Mage Silver badge
    Flame

Stupid

The new money grabbing TLDs should be boycotted by all ISPs and other DNS operators.

Unlike IPs, there is NO Reason to add extra TLDs. Even ,biz and .info etc were dubious ideas.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

COUNTRY.sucks

Are they blocking www.usa.sucks, www.england.sucks, www.china.sucks? These seem more entertaining not to mention a trojan horse to find "terrorists".

1. David 132 Silver badge

Re: COUNTRY.sucks

If this is about "free speech", will they be allowing...

Islam.sucks?

Christianity.sucks?

FlyingSpaghettiMonster.sucks?

But on a lighter note, I want

LowerAtmosphericPressure.sucks

1. Velv
        Childcatcher

Re: COUNTRY.sucks

How dare you mock the sacred.

flyingspaghettimonster.sucks

Clearly it is the spaghetti that gets sucked

7. Ole Juul

Walmart still has a chance

. . . it seems almost quaint that there would be an area of the internet in which large corporations do not have overweening power.

Surely they won't prevent Walmart from getting WalmartHorse.sucks.

8. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Ahem

Couldn't resist.

1. Mark 85
      Coat

Re: Ahem

Ah... you beat a bunch of us to it....have an upvote.

In a related sense, we can't say lohan.sucks since rocket engines blow....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If it.sucks is taken, you'll just have to take it to the next level... it.sucks.ass perhaps.

In all seriousness, this tld is going to suck. What are the chances that the first person to register a this.sucks domain is going to be a good critic of said thing?

10. Suricou Raven

Will Dyson be the first to apply for a subdomain?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Maybe, but it won't be...

hoover.sucks.

I don't know what happened to the first version of this reply...I know I wasn't drunk.

11. Captain DaFt

So should I be saving my shekels to register Let_me_off_earth.sucks?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah, save up the whopping 41 shekels you'd need.

12. Zarno

So when do we see...

http://www.electrolux.sucks rear it's head?

13. skeptical i
    Devil

dibs on 'really.sucks'

and I'll rent out subdomains for a, ahem, reasonable consideration.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: dibs on 'really.sucks'

You should register still.sucks, always.sucks, and don't forget this.sucks.

14. fearnothing

So what's to stop Ford from registering "chrysler.sucks" ?

15. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Headmaster

I'm sorry?

"is no longer purely a pejorative term"?

When was it ever? Is this some leftpondian aberration of the lanquage?

16. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Unhappy

There's no problem

The "brand names" don't need to protectively register their names. They just need to monitor what happens on any .sucks domains and the sue the arse of any and every libellous comment.

Despite all the fun we are having in this comment section, the legal ramifications of running any .sucks domain are frightening. Can you afford to be in court for the rest of your life just because in the litigants opinion something is libellous? It might take years and a lot of money before a judge decides in your favour. *if* you win.

17. Steve Kerr

I heard that

gravity.sucks

Why not go for the catch all everything.sucks

18. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

What about pump makers?

Shouldn't they own Leybold-turbo-pumps.sucks ?

And if you don't like them would you have to register Leybold-turbo-pumps.sucks.sucks ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like