back to article Thanks a lot, Google, for snatching .dev for yourself. It's not like the rest of us wanted it

The internet is gradually gaining a whole lot of new top-level domain names, from the useful (.app, .dev) to the more whimsical (.ninja, .lol), thanks to ICANN's dot-word gold rush. Most of these dot-words are available to world + dog to register fresh domains, such as theregister.science. However, some owners are keeping …

1. Corin

Code.dev

I'm guessing that even if they get .dev they wouldn't host Google Code anywhere near it.. so.. why would they want it?

2. bigtimehustler

Well, no harm in trying. They won't succeed anyway, sure they want to keep it for all google stuff in development, but so will loads of others with counter claims, so it will go nowhere.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

And as we all know, apart from their core search, pretty much every service Google offer is in perpetual beta anyway and liable to be terminated at any time.

2. big_D Silver badge

They succeeded a couple of weeks ago. They outbid everybody else.

This is an after-the-fact commentary piece.

3. Notas Badoff
    Unhappy

D'oh'main

Paired with the almost simultaneous news that Google is giving up on Google Code in deference to the success of other organizations in that 'development' space, like GitHub, Goggle seems schizoid at best. They are showing all the mentally palsied symptoms of a company too big to be rational.

If they would partner with GitHub and SourceForge to foster the open development arena under the .dev domain they would come out heroes. But keeping it for themselves only? Sounds like "locked supply closet" type company stupidity.

4. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Down

What about...

... .scam .ripoff .cashingin and, of course, .icannsmegabonusplan

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Presumably they expect that buying .dev would give them veto rights over names such as

.developer , .development , ,java-developer , .urban-development , etc

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How about...

.developers.developers.developers? Is it still available? NO! Damn (throw chairs).

6. Oninoshiko

In a word

denied.

at least it should be.

1. CanadianMacFan

Re: In a word

Wouldn't that be .denied?

7. War President

ScrewYou.IGotMine

This is utterly ridiculous, but everyone already knows that. While I can see some value in a private TLD, it should be required that such restricted TLDs must not be a generic word or general use abbreviation, as it goes against the public interest. I would reluctantly support restricted TLDs that use a company's registered name (.google).

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: ScrewYou.IGotMine

What benefit does .google offer over .google.com?

8. twelvebore
  9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I want .dot all for myself. I will set up a mail server and name it dot... or dotty. My email address will be at@dotty.dot until I can buy .ellipsis

Thank you for your cooperation.

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Have an exhalt! Cheered me up.

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Someone's beaten you to the punch:

dot@dotat.at

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

icann

live with that

10. Mage Silver badge
    Devil

If you run a DNS box, boycott the new TLDs. They are an evil money grab.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

People no longer use domain names for Web browsing

They type what they want into a search engine and don't give a shit about domain names

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: People no longer use domain names for Web browsing

My wife was looking for something the other day and was complaining that she couldn't see any useful results on the first 5 or so Google results pages. So I told her to try another one such as Yahoo or Bing. So she typed Yahoo into Google to find Yahoo :-)

I was terrified she might cause a singularity!

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. demaniak
    Unhappy

Pfftt

"Don't be evil" huh.

Right.

14. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

The mission of this gTLD, .dev, is to provide a dedicated domain space in which Google can enact second-level domains specific to its projects in development.

Contents of .dev, circa 2020:

beta1.dev

foreverbeta.dev

ohnonotagain.dev

funnycoloredballs.dev

discontinued.dev

onyourownnow.dev

beta.dev

betabeta.dev

notevenalpha.dev

subbeta.dev

buggybeta.dev

worksbutoverysoonover.dev

nobodycares.dev

closedsoon.dev

funkydaygloproject.dev

betafoo.dev

betabar.dev

rebetaed.dev

justtakethesourcewedontcare.dev

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why not...

.. orkut2.dev? Google+ seems to be going nowhere.

15. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge
    Devil

Let me take this opportunity to register a protest on behalf of deviants everywhere.

16. H.Winter

.wang

Sucks that Google would take ownership of what seems to be such a useful gTLD

On a sidenote, I dunno how long .wang domains have been around for but they make for the best gTLD worldplay.

fondlemy.wang

17. j7n

A problem with these domains is the they don't look like internet addresses at all without an unambiguous context (until you add http mail or forward slashes). I wouldn't register a name like that for free. developer.app looks like a file name and google.lol - some kind of new #leet @speek or a typo instead of a hostname.

18. Platypus

Google's all about network neutrality when it comes to routing, but I guess not when it comes to names. "You must share but I must own" is a pretty crappy attitude.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like