back to article I BEG YOU, mighty Jobs, TAKE MY LIVER, Cook told Apple's dying co-founder

Apple boss Tim Cook offered part of his liver to dying Steve Jobs, Fast Company exec editor Rick Tetzeli has claimed in his new biography on the Apple co-founder. Encouraged by a rare blood-type match, rather than a liking for fava beans and a nice Chianti, Cook reportedly popped round to see a very ill Jobs, who was bedridden …

1. Matthew Smith

Jobs hated the idea of removing components and repairing them. He died as he lived.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

you never know

when you might need a gift like that in order to live.

What will you say then? no, sorry, I don't like having someone else's spare part?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's pretty cold. I wonder how many other CEOs would receive the same offer?

3. phuzz Silver badge
      Joke

His AppleCare ran out in September 2011.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The irony of what you say is Apple probably have about the best record on repairing kit for an extended period.

5. Sporkinum

Leave it to The Doctor to make a pithy comment like that.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Odd how someone so smart...

Unfortunately he's not the only one - how many 'smart' people buy sugar pills that are essentially placebos, do not get their kids vaccinated and believe in sky god(s) even though around 2/3rds+ of the world believes in a different one and they can't all be right...?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bear in mind that jobs was never an engineer or scientist - he was strictly a businessman. That requires a different kind of intelligence. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even understand the conventional cures.

1. wayward4now

I highly doubt I would define him as a "business man". Any decent business man values mutually profitable relationships, while plainly Jobs did not. Even The Woz got kicked to the curb.

3. Naughtyhorse

what would you expect from a frutarian, besides he knew it was just delaying the inevetable.

cause of death:

stupid obstinacy

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, YOU ARE JUST DELAYING THE INEVITABLE.

THE SMART ONE MAKE ME WAIT A LITTLE LONGER, BUT I GET EVERYONE.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

SQUEAK!

3. SolidSquid

Considering he tried to do the alternative medicine route to beat his cancer it doesn't surprise me that he'd object to a transplant. That said, his cancer had metastacised, so his survival chances weren't high even *with* a new liver

1. SolidSquid

So the article I checked to verify the alternative remedies quoted his wife saying Jobs was reluctant to go under the knife for anything, and that that was a large part of the reason why he went for alternative remedies. Going under for a slim chance of drawing things out (which is all he could really have done at this point) was probably out of the question for him

1. jai

You checked and verified? What are you doing reading El Reg????

4. smartypants

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter

Much as the man irritated me in many ways, it's a bit unfair to criticise Jobs for his decisions about his own life. We all die, eventually, so we're really just arguing about timing, and hands up who hasn't chipped away at their own life-expectancy in one way or another by their decisions?

He didn't want to die (until probably near the end), but again, that's how it is with life. The end will be messy. The best we can hope for is for the last bit of it not to be horrific and to be asleep when the last breath is drawn.

1. stanimir

Re: In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter

Keep in mind that he got a liver transplant eventually by cheating his way out - getting a new house, in a new state (Memphis) - basically denying someone else life[1].

[1]: http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/local-news/steve-jobs-liver-transplant-memphis

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Since when is Memphis a STATE?

1. Dan Paul

It's a "State of Mind" perhaps?

1. Little Mouse

No - It really is a state.

As in - "Have you seen the state of that?"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"and hands up who hasn't chipped away at their own life-expectancy in one way or another by their decisions?"

Chipping away at it - ie taking a small risk - is one thing and is generally an unavoidable part of life unless you want to be constantly double checking every decision you make and eventually going insane. Yeah, perhaps by eating a McD burger I might have a 0.001% increased change of having a heart attack in the next X years but the alternative might be going to a different restaurant and having to cross a road where I have a 0.002% chance of getting run over. Etc.

That is completely different to making a decision that is all or nothing - have the treatment or face 100% certain death in the very near future.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Tanuki

I see no mention of the Fava Beans and the nice Chianti.

1. caffeine addict

You mean, apart from the bit where it mentions the fava beans and chianti...?

"Encouraged by a rare blood-type match, rather than a liking for fava beans and a nice Chianti, Cook reportedly popped round to see a very ill Jobs, who was bedridden with cancer and its side-effects, to offer him a piece of his organ for a life-saving transplant."

7. Phuq Witt
    Trollface

He May be Gone For Some iTime

Of course... [to paraphrase badly, Rimmer in Red dwarf] ...we've only got Tim Cook's word for it that Steve Jobs turned down the offer of a partial liver transplant. Much easier to say "Steve Jobs made the ultimate sacrifice" than to admit you bludgeoned him to death with a frozen Newton –whilst you're mopping up his gravy with the last of the ship's biscuits.

*[I did say paraphrased "badly"!]*

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is the photo from the post mortem of a saw the lady in half magic act that went tragically wrong ?

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

I think is from this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visible_Human_Project

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tim offered Steve his Liver...

...with some Fava Beans and a nice Chianti.

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Tim offered Steve his Liver...

Glad to see you read as far as the second paragraph.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Having seen that i was beaten to the punch by Tanuki, i attempted to 'Withdraw' my post. The post wasn't withdrawn and has ended up on the thread. Perhaps, being a 'Red-Vulture' badge winner you can have a word with the mods on this site as to why its taking so long for the posts to appear. Up to the start of the week the posts appeared on the thread almost instantly. Now there's a lag from half an hour to half a day......whats up?......or is it just me getting this special treatment:)

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Tim offered Steve his Liver...

a) The red badge means I am a mod.

b) You seem to have a fixation with sexuality. Feel free to express those views somewhere that isn't a tech news website.

1. King Jack
            Joke

You are a Mod and I'm a Rocker. Let's fight......

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

OK!

10. ratfox
    Trollface

Wrong way round

Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.

It's the disciples who eat the flesh and blood of the master, no the reverse.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tim should have offered him something that he hadn't used -- like maybe his brain.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Homosexuals cannot donate organs in the US!

Cook would've been well aware of this rule. I suggest this was just a cynical attempt to curry favour with the boss, knowing he'd never actually be at risk of going under the knife.

"Gee, who'd have thought it. I was all ready to give you some of my liver but it turns out I'm not allowed!"

\

{Psychopathic CEO}

13. Jeff Lewis

The problem was that his liver wasn't the problem - it was his pancreas.

People with advanced pancreatic cancer have a very, very low survival rate less than 4% survive longer than 5 years after diagnosis. That's why they generally don't transplant livers or liver grafts - even if it works, it won't be working for long. Why put another person at risk for very little benefit?

Even worse, he may have refused Cook's liver - but he did game the system to shop around for a state where liver transplants were done for people with advanced pancreatic cancer - and where he could move to the top of the queue quickly. He then bought a house there to establish residency to gain access to the medical system (transplant organs tend to be governed by the state, not by individual hospitals).

I wonder how many poor people with liver diseases could do that...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like