back to article Reg exec in deluxe roo-skin pen case beernami trauma

We're shaken to report that El Reg big cheese Linus "Fish Fingers"* Birtles yesterday suffered a traumatic beernami which left the contents of his executive leather case "totally f@@k€d". Linus's leather bag after the beernami Speaking to our Bootnotes department while recuperating with a very large brandy at the bar of a …

1. Arctic fox
    Facepalm

Let me see now.

You you take your fav luxury leather case, you fill it with all.your most essential kit and thereafter you put a tinnie in there with them. What could possibly go wrong?

1. MrDamage Silver badge

FTFY

You you take your fav luxury leather case, you fill it with all your most essential tinnies, and thereafter put a laptop, phone and headphones in there with them. What could possibly go wrong?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

I see the problem

There's a sharp red arrow....

Next time, drink the beer, don't carry it around haphazardly.

3. Dave 32
    Coat

Laptop Demise

Had that happen to a cow-orker once. She put a 591 milliLiter (20 fluid ounce) screw top bottle of Pepsi in her bag with her laptop, without adequately securing the top. Somewhat surprisingly, the machine lasted long enough to extract critical data from the hard disk before it went casters-up. Fortunately, I had a sufficiently large USB flash key to contain the data. Moral of the story? Don't carry drinks in the same bag as your laptop. And, carry a large USB flash key, too. Oh, and something about remembering to back up your data occasionally.

Dave

P.S. I'll get my coat. It's the one with the 64GB USB flash key in the pocket (with the contents encrypted, of course!).

4. frank ly
    Happy

You should have called him 'Findus'

Just an idea.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

What a complete disaster!

An entire beer - wasted.

Will he be appropriately reprimanded for placing a sharp utensil within striking distance of a perfectly good beer? I'm thinking suspension without pay, bathroom-cleaning duty, demotion to the sales department...

6. Little Mouse

Dare I ask which part of the poor beast they made the pen case out of?

I have a drawstring roo-skin "pouch" that is ideal for a couple of golfball sized objects. God knows why I bought it, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

1. Triggerfish

Re: Dare I ask which part of the poor beast they made the pen case out of?

"ideal for a couple of golfball sized objects"

Do we dare ask what part of the Roo that came from?

1. Vinyl-Junkie
        Holmes

I think it safe to assume that only 50% (approx) of the 'roo population has the necessary parts from which to make this item....

2. magickmark
      Trollface

Sounds like a lot of bollocks to me!

7. Vinyl-Junkie
    Pint

"...effect of ale..."

No ale was involved.

The definition of an ale is a top-fermented beer brewed at warm temperatures.

Kronenberg is a lager, defined as a bottom-fermented beer brewed at low temperatures.

Just sayin' :)

1. TitterYeNot

Re: "...effect of ale..."

I thought the idea of Kopi Luwak coffee was bad enough, but bottom-fermented beer is plumbing new depths...

1. Vinyl-Junkie
        Coffee/keyboard

Re: "...effect of ale..."

Have an upvote from my coffee (no, not Kopi Luwak!) splattered keyboard.

However that definition may explain the truly terrible taste of most things sold as "lager" in the UK...

8. Steven Raith

Similar problem with e-cig liquid....

I get 50ml bottles of electric ciggy liquid. They come as a bottle with a seperate, threaded dropper to replace the leakproof tab and cap that the bottle is sealed with for transport. Fine.

Remove cap and leakproof tab. Screw on dropper top. Seems tight. Slip into jacket pocket.

Finish contents of current tank. Open up, get bottle out...hey, this is a bit slimey....ah. Half the contents gone. Pocket soaked in PG/VG mix.

Turns out the dropper cap has it's own 'tamper proof' seal (like wot bottles of water/coke have - you know the one) which is meant for when it's put on a suitable bottle with a catch ring, which the actual bottle of e-cig liquid is not. Cut off the tamper proof ring, and it screws down tightly.

That's what I get for making assumptions. Anyway, the jacket was put through the wash, but the lining was still stained so I had to junk it.

Bah.

Steven R

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Similar problem with e-cig liquid....

Best wean yourself off eCigs too; they are apparently contain an even worse cocktail of Chinese chemicals than the nasty lot added to Cigarettes!

1. Steven Raith

Re: Similar problem with e-cig liquid....

Citation needed.

Also, no, they don't. PG/VG, flavouring, nicotine (all pharmaceutical grade) is all that any good E-cig liquid contains.

Research that shows harm from them at greater than a percentage of smoking a cigarette has almost without exception, been rubbished by all reputable peer sources. For example, yes, you can get formaldahyde from them. If you run the coils *way* over spec for *way* longer than anyone would in the real world.

It's like claiming that Honda VTEC engines expire prematurely because you put it in neutral and wedged a brick on the throttle. Yes, that sort of abuse might cause problems.

Show me some reputable evidence of serious harm - that is, something less than 90% less harmful than a normal ciggy - and I might reconsider.

At the moment, the main research into e-cig harm is whether it's between 90% or 95% less harmful than a boggo ciggy....

Steven R

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That explains

Why you only get kangaroos in hot dry Australia. If they lived in England they'd be soaked through all the time.

10. Infernoz Bronze badge
    Facepalm

WTF is any pen doing without a solid cover, even in a soft case, in a bag with valuable items.

An protected pen tip is an accident waiting to happen for the pen tip, any soft case it is in and anything else it can touch, so just deserts for his stupidity; an Aluminium Beer can in a bag with valuable items, an event worse idea!

11. Dave 62

Cheap and nasty.

Over priced pen, under priced beer.

I am disappoint.

12. cortland

Banned kangaroo products? Leaping Lizards, Batman!

https://www.footy-boots.com/kangaroo-leather-ban-in-california-lifted/

(until 2016)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon